Bollinger band trading with MAs

Hedging might be the key to it though? …key to avoiding the ranging periods?
…and if so there comes a point where the original trade has to be closed…

Brent Crude? You only do this when the bollinger is flat?
High volatility and 5min charts are 2 things that make me nervous :slight_smile:

on the 1H thing, looks like this is one of those days when it’s ranging, I tried to trade it but it bit me so I’m staying out till it shows some sign of direction. And with tomorrow being news day I may stay out till Monday.

As long as PA moves from lower BB to upper BB or the reverse…in one 5m candle if possible I’ll take he trade. I doesn’t matter whether the bollinger is flat.
I won’t trade if PA rides along upper BB or lower BB.

:slight_smile:
That’s why I set pre-defined limit exit orders.

Just wondering what you would have done at these points because you can’t know whether price is/isn’t going to ride the outside when you get the change of colour candle can you? :slight_smile:
What would you have done at the points marked X?
If the rule is as per RC: 1 candle wicks outside bollinger and closes, enter immediately on colour change.

I was wondering that myself when I read that post. how do you know if it’s going to bounce off the bb upper or lower or just go running along it?

[B]TalonD & SanMiguel[/B]

Ok here’s my last word on the subject of the 1h centerline cross with ma’s… been screwing around with this now for days! :smiley:

Instead of a 1h chart, I now have a 4h chart. Same 2 std dev bollinger (20 period) but now a 12 regression line for the cross.

Also have a SSD (slow stochastic set to 5:5:3) and a RSI set to 7.

Chart showing candles as on the 4h its real easy to spot a retrace especially at the outer bolls. This will work well when PA is ranging as on the 28/08 and 31/08 and 01/09.

Thats as good as your going to get to a pro’s set up on the 4h chart.:smiley:

what’s a 12 regression ?

[B]TalonD[/B]

Linear Regression Line (used to measure trend). :slight_smile:

I have the SSD & RSI in a seperate box below the chart to keep it clear of clutter.

I have 2 question

1. Can we use liner regression channels?

2. Then what do we do with it?

John

[B]JCGibson[/B]

TalonD and I have been looking into catching the medium term trends. That is a single trade that lasts around one to two days. But it saves all the second guessing the 5m or 15m charts for 10 - 30 pip moves. Over the last month this system as is now laid out was good for around 2000 pips without second guessing PA retraces at the out bolls which by the way is easier to figure on the 4h chart.

Were trading the centerline cross of the bollinger band, in this case the 4h chart as it screens out the fake directional changes that the 1h chart was bad for.

It would be an idea to use a stop or moving stop of around 100 pips. Sounds alot but you should calculate this to no more than 2 - 5% of your account balance dependant on your risk appetite.

I have a regression line not sure about a channel?

The reason TalonD and I went down this road is because we cannot be in front of the monitor at all times. As this set up will run for at least a day it means we can check in periodically without loosing out. Plus even if late getting in a trade by hours it will still be a viable trade. :slight_smile:

RC

Never mind these new fangled strategies! I’m only just catching up with the 3/6/9 LWMAs setup and bagged my first 20 pip haul after getting 10 or less or more usuall price reversing on me!

Just have to repeat that every day and I’ll soon be a mill-win-air! :smiley:

Thats if I get off the demo that is…:o

Case in point after fiddling about with the chart time and ma’s I had missed the 08:00 GMT cross by eight hours but entered the trade eight hours ago and now plus 40 pips. Not alot but this is slow time.

[B]Red ear[/B]

Its all good! :D:D

my MT4 has regression channels but not a regression line. a center line and two outer lines.

My VT trader Demo has the regression line. it looks line the center channel is the same.

But are you using it to replace the 14 SMA and in the same way?

John.

I found a linear regression indicator for metatrader. haven’t tried it yet. After I try it out if it works ok then I’ll post it here

[B]JCGibson[/B]

Yes replace 14 SMA with 12 Linear regression. Plus if you missed it all on a 4h chart. :slight_smile:

Here’s the linear regression for metatrader.
Credit to fxtoolsman on fxfisherman .com

Linear Regression_Indicator_Line.zip (1014 Bytes)

R. I’d like to see a picture of your 4h chart, maybe with some notes on where entries and exits would be ?

Also how do you take into account the rsi and stoch?

[B]TalonD, San Miguel[/B]

WTI…what I’m trading with BB and MAs…

West Texas Intermediate - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The next time I enter a WTI trade on 5m I’ll post the charts. It’s pointless and misleading to post historical charts because it doesn’t show WTI volatility especially when IPE numbers are published.