Bollinger band trading with MAs

Did we do that a while ago on GBPUSD, I can’t remember now.
3 SDs is in the extreme of price moves but there are very few times it doesn’t bounce back from 3SDs.

[B]SanMiguel[/B]

I think we were playing around with different bollingers… 1:10, 2:20 etc but this got pretty messy on the chart… more like an explosion in a string factory. :slight_smile:

By keeping the same period (20) but using 1,2 and 3 it keeps the same center line but gives a clue as to volatility and extreme range. I notice when PA is trending it pretty much moves in between the 1:20/2:20 outer bolls on the 1h chart (as at present). However on the 5m at present bolls have flattened off and PA is ranging nicely.

[B]Cas[/B]

Sorry didn’t mean this mornings breakout when refering to those tight bolls on the 1h chart but yesterday. :stuck_out_tongue: I was thinking more about the MA cross of the 1h chart… TalonD’s strat. That breakout cross of 1h centerline boll signalled Talons post about how he would have been up now 150 pips.

2.5 seems pretty good for oil when 5min bollingers are flat.
3 seems good for GU but as you say, it’s just a guide.
Would be an interesting exercise to look at when price hits the 2.5 or 3BB and reverses - though in principle it’s the same as you looking for a wick outside the 2BB.

[B]CAS[/B]

Errr… what happened there! I’ve had to switch to 1h chart just to keep up!!! :smiley:

[B]R Carter[/B]

Thx. I got confused there for a minute in regards to GU Breakout. Thought I was looking @different charts. :smiley:

Yeah, you gonna be quick with that “bucking bronco” Oil. :smiley: Can be pretty wild at times.

I don’t like the 1:20 BB. I agree…charts get messy. 2,3 is enough for my taste.

Interesting observation in regards to trending and BBs. Never looked at it that way. :slight_smile:

[B]R Carter[/B]

:smiley: That was NY Open. :smiley:

Oil has got support 68.16 - 68.80 range. And that was a breakout to the downside to test that support.

Oil changes it’s PA as soon as NY opens.

using multiple BBs on one chart: If you just want to see the outer bb lines and not the center line, you can mask out the center line by applying a simple moving averag of the same period as the bb and make it the same color as your backround, (black in my case) that way you can have more than one bb on your chart and it’s less cluttered.

Huh…:smiley:
1;20,2:20,3:20 BBs…same center line…

oh yea, wasn’t paying attention :o

I have a 1h chart with a 2:20 but also have a 2:6 which is close to a standard bb on the 15m chart, but then I make the 20 a different color and hide the 6. just another way of looking at things

[B]Cas[/B]

Well I got hit for quite a few pips on that big break down but took a long at the 3:20 outer boll and rode it up to the center line boll. Now I like oil again. :slight_smile:

You can turn off lines in Metatrader if you need.

That’s what I was looking for, how do you do it?

Quick?! It’s a monster. I thought “The Beast” was volatile enough :smiley:

I thought you could get up the indicators, click edit and on the 3 tabs that appear you could turn off lines but apparently not on the included BB.
What lines do you need removed from your chart because a midline BB should be the same whatever. The SDs should be ok as you want to see them.

[B] SanMiguel[/B]

Oil is a monster allright. :smiley: But it got it’s days of rest, too.

Give USDCAD a try. BB bounces worked well for me today with that pair. Same setup as with GU,EU and Oil.

It seemed to me like the flattest 5min BB periods for Oil were before NY open or has that only been the last few days? My broker charges an 8pip spread before NY open and then 5 pips after so it makes it more expensive to trade before, meaning any BB trades can’t just be for the odd 20pips here and there, which I guess is also why you target the opposite side of the BB.

It still seems the 2.5-3BB trades are higher probability than 2BB bounces?
I think I’d need to understand the PA of oil some more first let alone adding EU and UCAD yet :slight_smile:

That has only been the last few days.

Oil PA follows a time cycle.

• 7:30 - 9:00 EST.

• first two hours of NY Open

• first two hours of afternoon session

• first half an hour after roll over time in NY every Tuesday

• 3rd and 3th hour of Asian session

Exception is every Wednesday…10:30 EST is PA action…before and/orafter it is fairly quiet.

And then you get the odd spikes here and there because of Gold.

It still seems the 2.5-3BB trades are higher probability than 2BB bounces?

Depends on volatility. I don’t aim for the 20 pips BB trades. I aim for the bounces. I only need one big bounce…like yesterday…and they come bigger than that…instead of let’s say 5x 20 pip BB trades.

I think I’d need to understand the PA of oil some more first let alone adding EU and UCAD yet :slight_smile:

Oil PA is tricky because the oil market is so huge. There are conflicting interests in the market. Hedgers have different objectives than commercials for instance. That’s one of the reasons why Oil is so volatile.

SanMiguel, Here’s that EA if you want to take a look, I’m sure you can do better though.
pound dollar 1h is how I ran it.

1v20ma.zip (7.86 KB)

San Miguel,

Thanks a lot for starting this thread. been studying about Bollinger Bands. Dunno if I could absorb everything but am trying my best to learn a lot.

BTW, have you been to the Philippines? your primary picture and name is one of the most famous beers in Philippines. Looking forward to more of your posts :wink:

Needs to be an mql4 file to see the code :slight_smile:
PM it if you don’t want to put any source code up on here.

oops, sorry, I sent the compiled versions instead of the code. here it is.

1v20ma.zip (9.75 KB)