Bollinger band trading with MAs

SanMiguel is a Spanish beer/ lager. I’m guessing [B]SanMiguel[/B] spends quite alot of time in Spain? Probably a secondary home in Malaga… for tax purposes of course! :D:D

I wish, though I may move there one day as it is within range of my winter hobby, skiing, and my summer hobbies scuba diving and general laziness on the beach :slight_smile:
I think SanMiguel is both a Spanish and Filipino beer, not sure whether they are affiliated…allegedly the one from the Philippines is far tastier :slight_smile:

but not as tasty as this one…:smiley:

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/4/43/Can_of_Boddingtons_Bitter.jpg/180px-Can_of_Boddingtons_Bitter.jpg

Boddy’s - haven’t drunk that for a long time.
I like the drinking technique in the background :slight_smile:

I can see its weekend time again! :smiley: I’m off for a ‘ties’ worth of ESB from Fullers London Brewery with the lads!

Well, I’ve taken a 3 line whip trade on the 5min chart: short.
Both 1hr and 15min have PA in their respective lower half bollingers. 5min PA crossed above the centre bollinger and back down.
We’ll see how this one goes…the bollingers are squeezing together a bit but I’m hoping the downtrend is still strong as price has remained below the 15min LWMA for the moment.

Hmm, -20 for that one. I guess after such a big down move that should have been expected…at least it was at half my normal trade size.

cas, did you take that oil bounce at around 8GMT or is Monday oil news day?

No, I didn’t. I am trading EU @present.

Mondays, Oil tends to take off in whatever direction. And before it does it bounces but it’s not news related. Oil news day is every Wednesday…10:30 EDT.

Hey R.C. I’m trying to follow the 1h red MAs and watching your 4H fan also. Got a buy on right now.
I’m trying to resist the urge to look at the 15M

Just decided to close it at +94 pips !

sweet !!!

makes up for some earlier mistakes

Nice. That was a quick news spike down today followed by a 200pip move up, GU is becoming pretty volatile lately.

If there is anything like a [U]“perfect”[/U] :smiley: GU 5m BB bounce…I reckon this would be…it… :D…just now @10:30 GMT.

One solid candle in direction of trend from lower 3:20 BB to upper 3:20 BB…

I see that on my chart but unfortunately wasn’t out of bed yet. :frowning:
Isn’t that 8:30 gmt ? or is my time off again?

My clocks showed 10:30 GMT.
Don’t know what your clocks run on. :smiley:

hmmm one of us is unsyncronized … is that a word

Hey guys, after weeks of working on that London Breakout and the Tymen candlesticks strats, I wanted to jump into this one. Going back to the first post, I was curious to see what parameters you have decided is best after the last few weeks of results.

I set up for Method 1 (7/14 LWMA on the 15m and 2/4 LWMA on the 1h) G/U charts, but was wondering if you are using that or Method 2 or the additional parameters added later:

“5m, 15m and 1h. On all charts LWMA set to 3/6/9 and 2 std dev boll (20 period).”

And have you switched away from candles to price lines?[B]
[/B]

Personally I’ve got a 3,7,14 lwma on three charts 5m, 15m & 1h,
have a mix of other charts up too besides that. one with fan lines, one with red multiple MAs etc. too much maybe.

trying to look at 1h and 4h also for bigger moves that I don’t have to manage closely while working the dayjob. I tend to follow the 15 evenings EDT, Asian session.

haven’t done the BB bounce much, just a little. Mainly just trying to follow the MAs for now. Most of the time I try to keep a price line rather than candles just to force myself to follow the MAs

I tend to get whipsawed a bit due to indecision. I’ll take a trade one way then think , no, and close it and go the other way. bad habit, so I try to tell myself ‘trust the force Luke’ ‘follow the MAs’

edit:
example, just made about 10 pips on the 15m chart while on my lunch hour following the traffic light. red, yellow, green MAs makes them easy to see visually. That made up for a small loss earlier this morning.

[B]Merchantprince[/B]

5m and 15 on 3/6/9 LWMA will give you the best indications with a 2 std dev boll (20 period). Use candles (for wicks outside bollinger upper or lower) or just a ‘v’ on priceline.

I’m using 3/6 LWMA on 1h chart with the centre line bollinger for a 3/6 cross to indicate a longer term reversal. 5m and 15m PA has currently glanced off the 1h center line boll but 4h chart PA is in a tight range.

OK, I can do 5m, 15m and 1h charts, but don’t have 4H with my FXCM Trading Station platform. I’m sure I could fire up MT4 and monkey around with that, but I’d really like to keep all my charts and indicators on one platform for now until I get a bit better at this.

I read the simple band concepts information on the first page but am curious to know if you guys work off the 1H chart for most of your trading. Looking at the 15m chart, it looks like the price action is so tight the 7/14 MAs have very little deviation, not more than a few pips.

The 2/4 LWMAs seem to work well on the 1H chart, though. I was just looking at G/U today and the 2/4 crossover at the 09:00 GMT candle would have given a nice ten-hour Long run of about 130 pips. Am I reading that right?

You both mentioned having a 3 MA on your shorter TF charts. How do you interpret that in relation to the others you follow (6/9, 7/14)?

[B]Merchantprince[/B]

For a 4h chart on FXCM left click when pointer is over the time box. It should ‘blue’ out then just type in H4 and click on the chart. :slight_smile:

The 3 LWMA can be deceptive on the 5m and 15m chart. Basically your looking for ideally a line up in one direction of all three… 3/6/9.