Bollinger band trading with MAs

indeed were right back where we were…this method is proving to be dead on…my goodness =)

MikeG

So what’s your method M.G. ? going to share it?

Possibly. we.ll see. i wanna test it more before i even say anything. lol =)\

Mike G

This video below is worth a look at. Personally, I think it’s secondary to the 1hr crossover system but it gives some good ideas for trailing by the outer bollinger band, using PA to trade a little more conservatively, and would be good for trading the 1hr chart during a ranging period though if it’s really ranging then using spikes outside the BBs would work well.
It at least gives an option to add on to existing 1hr trades / exit along the way if the pair is trending strongly.
Hasn’t looked useful on GU recently but on the UChf and UE charts seems to show some good trades.
Alternatively, take the trade according to the bollinger extremes but if the 1hr crossover happens at the same time then we can hold onto 1 of the 2 trades entered for the long run.

FXstreet.com Live Sessions Archives: Trading with Bollinger Bands and the ATR

RC - how often would you re-adjust your moving averages to suit the market? Reason I ask is that as the pair changes a little it might be important to change the MA settings for best fit as long as it’s a trending market eg on the 1hr chart until last week the 70EMA proved a good support point on 19th, 20th, 22nd.

For example, if we are using a 1hr crossover with 14SMA (or whatever we are using now), we can change the MA to fit the retraces along the way and therefore add-on to the trade at the next retrace. After all, the MA is just reflecting the overall sentiment at those points…curve fitting essentially - nothing to do with bollinger bands really but a good indication of what price might be doing.

SanMiguel,
Thanks so much for this wonderful link you provided.It is worthwhile and i learn a lot there.
Keep up the good work.

No problem - always good to look at a few other ideas - can always pick up a few pointers here and there :slight_smile:

[B]SanMiguel[/B]

Personally I don’t adjust the ma’s. I stick with 6/9 LWMA on the 5m/15m and 1h chart. For the 4h and day chart I don’t use LWMA as its too slow for these longer time charts. I either use 5 regression line or a 2:1 bollinger.

I also have up a 20:2 boll.

As per… expand to 200% for a better view.

Not much chance of big pips at present with the 1h chart centerline boll at 5 o’oclock. I will stick to the 15m chart for breaks across the upper/ lower boll tonight and see what tomorrow brings. Bolls are closing on 1h but still don’t expect much just yet. Bias clearly to the downside. :slight_smile:

Once again SanMiguel, great post on boll band trading… keep um coming. Not a big fan though on ADX. :slight_smile:

Robert isn’t 5 oclock center a strong down indication? I already made about 25pips tonight, thinking of putting on another sell since things are pointed down on the 1h.

Mike sure is! I see 1.6217 as a strong possibilty, maybe even 1.6158 before a significant retrace. But price never goes in a stright line… its possible to take the odd few pips on small retraces on the 15m within the 20:2 boll or on the 1h within the 5:1 boll. Currently in a trade at 1.6271 long up 17 pips.

Robert,

Are you getting your support numbers 1.6217 & 1.6158 from your “fan trend lines” on the 4h?

thanks!

No I’m looking to the the 4h and daily for S/R. Currently at 4h support. :slight_smile:

Okay!
thank you

PS got it and seeing it! :slight_smile:

Interesting, I just looked at my 4h fan chart. You may not be looking at that but it’s getting close to where one of my green fan lines crosses a red one, indicating strong support.

Well thats good to hear. But I’ll take my pips where I can get them in small doses tonight. 20 pips a day … right? :slight_smile:

right, and got my 24 so far :slight_smile:
Thought it was interesting though that the fan lines are holding true. By matching up pretty well with more traditional s/r lines. Well they’re in the same general area anyway.

20ma on the daily bolls @ [B]1.6159[/B] I guess we’re on the right track!

Right… got 15 on the previous bounce and now up 26… but will push it to the 5:1 boll on the 1h and call it a night. :slight_smile:

42 and I’m out… night all. :slight_smile:

2 trades from the 15min 20:3, 1 successful and more than made up for the 1st loss.