Bollinger band trading with MAs

Quick question…I have tried to find that 20pip/day spreadsheet in this forum. Any idea the post # for it. Thanks in advance!

Was just looking for it. Don’t remember the page or post number. But if you go to the main forum page where it shows a list of all the threads. This thread has a paper clip symbol next to it. Click on that and look for the forex spreadsheet.zip There is more than one. Get the biggest one, I think it’s about 60k in size. That should be the one with the formulas and graphs.

here you go…

Forex spreadsheet.zip (62.5 KB)

This is from the simulator posted a page or so back. I hope this is acting as practice because it sure is fun:p I have 20:2,20:1,5:1 on EUR/JPY M5 I like this set up allot. I dimmed the 20:1 boll I can still see it but its not so obvious to me. In another week or so I’ll have some cash in my live account so I can try this for real. Untill then I will demo and sim this set up. I will have to try it in demo on the platform I use live. Thanks for the tips and help with this.

Looks like some good results - do you have the report with the profit factor? I need to get a spare day to run through some options with that simulator but it is one of the best ways of backtesting a new system presuming you have a little time and an understanding of the rules of any system you are testing.

GU PA is below 63sma on 5m,15m,1h and 4h

Don’t you love this 63 SMA priceline…?? :D:D:D

So PA is currently less than the average of the last 63 candles. So there is a downward bias.

It’s remarkable how price continues to follow the fan lines of R.C.'s other thread.

things that make you go hmmm…

John… good point. I have lots of monitor space and tend to use both… both are equally valid in my opinion, infact I have been leaning to the 3/6/9 LWMA today with better decision making results on the 1h than a ‘tunnel’. :slight_smile:

Attached are some of my trades from today - any comments welcome.
These are all on the 5min chart in conjunction with the 1hr chart.

Any areas circled in red are trades that I did not take.
20:3 bollinger is in red.
20:2 bollinger is in orange.
20:1 bollinger is in green.
Black line is the middle bollinger.
I hope this makes sense… :slight_smile:

X: Frankfurt breakout - I thought about shorting this but did not act in time
A: London breakout: Shorted this but got out around the bottom of the 20:2, which was a previous support line on the 1hr chart. +20 pips
B: PA hits the resistance point C_1 and forms a wick so I short at this point as the downward pressure looks good and the angle of the bollinger is at 4 or 5 o’clock. My target is therefore the 20:2, which is not hit. Stopped out at breakeven.
Y: Not traded due to the 0930 news release
C: Shorted from the 20:2 line following the wick and grey candle in line with the resistance zone C_1. My stop was at the 20:3 bollinger, which was hit shortly later. -25pips Overall, this was a bit too early to trade after the news release.
D: PA hits the intraday resistance zone and forms a strong wick. As the tunnel of 5 starts to flatten, I enter a short. 50% of the trade is closed out at #1. 25% of the trade is closed out at #2. 25% is closed out at #3. +15, +10, and 12.5 pips = +37.5 pips
E: Angle of middle bollinger starts to head down again, candle wicks and starts to head down. I could have waited for it to reach the top 20:1 (green) but decided this was a good time to sell again. Perhaps dangerous given that this was the 3rd bounce from support but felt the overall trend was still down (blue trendline on price and red trendline on the bollinger). Exited 50% at #4 (50% of 28 = +14 pips) and I still have half open on this at present…currently at +42 pips (50% = +21 pips). My stop is at breakeven.
Z: I did not trade the bounce off the middle bollinger here as it was too close to the support line.

Have to take note of the 4hr trendline and bollinger bounce that might be coming up soon as per RC’s post.
Edit: stopped out on that last one Z - news report, should have closed before the report really.

Yep… went through the 100 sma on the 1h too. Now will PA take a bounce off the 100 sma on the 4h as it matches the lower 20:2 boll line. :slight_smile:

Excellent call…you were right in the money. :slight_smile:

Short from 1.6420 again. Closed 50% at the middle boll for 38pips (+19).
Decided to close the other 50% at middle boll also = 32 pips total.

RC,
Cool. I retain MA in the 5m and 15m along with 20:2 and 5:1 while i replaced MA with 5:1 in the 4h and 1h.With this, i have been getting good result.Combine 20:1 20:2,20:3 and 5:1 is a bit complicated to me.We are more likely to run into loss when tools are more complicated.
KISS(Keep It Short and Simple) is the way to go.

Peace.

SM,
This is nice.I have been going through your chart for a while and I am just wondering how you interpreted 20:2 and 20:3.Because it seems 20:1 and 20:1 do almost the same thing.
Peace.

I agree… don’t have a use for a 20:3 though. :slight_smile:

Sorry don’t understand the question… :slight_smile:
20:1 is different to 20:2 and 20:3 because of the number if standard deviations.

SM,
My apology for the mix-up. i wanted to ask how you interpreted 20:1,20:2 and 20:3 combination and RC seemed to have answered the question.
peace.

Okay. Thanks for your the explanation.

…until GU overshoots it’s range :D…I bet 3:20 will be back on your charts…at the latest. :wink:

Funny, that reminds me of my old flying days IFR flying by the seat of your pants.

looking at 4h as suggested, but still makin it on the 1h :slight_smile: