Bollinger band trading with MAs

SanMiguel!
Congratulations I just noticed you’ve become an “FX-Men Honorary Member”!

SanMiguel, I must have missed your Sunday gap, What is it?

Ha… funny how minds work… took the long at 1.6607 to 1.6660 then the break down to 1.6630 all on the 1h guided by the daily. :slight_smile:

Daily still firmly in the 2:1 boll riding high on the 5:1 boll.

Now the question seems to be are we going to to get a break above the previous high to the 20:2 boll on the daily or a reversal? Looking to the 2:1 boll on the daily in conjuction with the 5:1 boll. :slight_smile:

Should add as always trading the 1h using 20:2, 5:1 and 2:1 boll. Guided by the daily same set up.

I have a new broker, new charts, and a new way of sizing trades. I went with Oanda this time and am charting with an mt4 demo. I have been using this set up on demo for a little while but this is my first go at it live, it takes some getting used to. As I am typing this my first stop got whacked. I shorted on the m15 when the tunnel started to turn down off the 20:2.:rolleyes: I am using tiny trade sizes right now to get comfortable with this new set up.

I forgot, I got 2 monitors now:)

In the same boat…got shorted out @ same place. Having some confusion on reading the 1hr 5:1 and 2:1 BB and making a decision on short or long??

[B]Shr1k[/B]

My advise would be if your trading in front of the monitor go with the 5m chart and take your lead off the 1h. :slight_smile: Look to outside 20:2 plus boll entries preferbaly with wicks.

Sh1k I use Oanda, it does take some getting used to. Oanda starts trading before my IBFX demo. so I went long tonight when Oanda started up. That must be the Sunday gap? I don’t see a gap on Oanda, that must just show up on Metatrader?

SanMiguel
That overlay indicator you posted. Are you able to make modifications to it? Would it be possible for the overlaid pair to be offset lower so it’s candles aren’t right on top of the main pair ?

You can trade just the 5m chart but again only on wicks outside the 20:2 boll upper or lower. Two rules: look for fairly level bolls (sideways movement) and either take at 10 pips or trade to the center boll.

[B]Sikday[/B]

If your trading the 1h you need to build in a bigger stop or hedge against your longer term position. I basically trade the 1h chart. Two strats.

Strat one. I look to the day chart (about twice a month on average) for an entry and place the trade. Next I manage that trade with hedging on the 1h chart. For example. I entered a long on 3/11 and if left alone it would now be up around 350 but with the odd hedge its now around 450.

Strat two (in front of the monitors). I also trade the 1h chart set up and hedge on the 5m chart. Example. Tonight I entered at around 1.6600 and hedged the retrace then lifted and now up at around 100 pips (without hedge 70).

I know it sounds crazy to talk about the day chart but all time frame charts behave in the same way… they all zigzag between the 20:2 boll or there abouts. If you look to the daily and the 1h… the daily says up (2:1 boll) longer term trade = up and hedge the 1h. Look to the 1h if says up longer term trade up and hedge the 5m.

Basically in a nutshell… look to the longer term chart for direction and hedge the shorter time charts. :slight_smile:

Thanks for the tip Carter…your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Its not a tip its the way I trade. :slight_smile:

Look at it logically… if you go with the trend… 8 out of 10 times you’ll be correct. If you hedge a position and you get it wrong you won’t be stopped out at a loss. All its cost you is the spread (typically 3 pips). :smiley:

For the last few weeks, yes…but on doing a bit of backtesting it’s not always profitable. If there’s a gap and the price is outside the bollingers in 5min then it seems it usually gets filled otherwise it’s a bit hit and miss.
GBPJPY filled 80pips entirely following GU.

That’s just for 1,000+ posts - clearly I have been spending too much time on this forum :slight_smile:

Depending on your broker, price gapped up on GBPUSD by about 40-50pips from where it closed on Sunday and the price was outside the 5min bollinger…and the 1hr bollinger as RC said.
Gap up and outside - take a short.
Gap down and outside - take a long.
…until the gap is filled.

I haven’t looked at it yet but I’m sure there’s an offset in it somewhere…will have a look later. PM me to remind me if I forget.
…or can it be added as a subwindow?

Just woke up at 3am EST. Decided to take a quick look at my 1H… :cool: :smiley:

Bounced straight off that 1.68 level same time as EU nearing the 1.5 region.
Shouldn’t be any resistance nearby?

2:1 [B]and [/B]5:1 on the 1hr? Do you look for a crossover of these?
Just interested, I only really use the 5:1 on each of the TF charts at present and look for a flattening of the bollinger to indicate a reversal…along with the wicks.

Got a hint of divergence on the 1h chart. 2:1 lower boll has reversed. Entered a short at 1.6820

do you think that’s just a retrace ? Or the beginning of a real turn down?

Good point SanMiguel. :slight_smile:

I only use the 2:1 boll in conjunction with the 5:1 and 20:2 on the 1h chart and up. Lessor time charts are too quick for the 2:1 boll. But on the 1h and up it works pretty well.

I tend to look for movements of the 2:1 within the 5:1 boll on 1h chart and up and not a cross. A sort of tunnel within a tunnel both looked at in relation to the 20:2 boll.

60 SMA still pointed up on the 5min chart. I don’t know whether RC was going for short term or long term trade (most likely at b/e by now anyway) but the crossover of the 60MA or the [B]magical [/B]63 SMA might be an option to exit your 1hr trade…though strictly speaking your exit rule is the crossover of the middle bollinger isn’t it :wink:

I’m still in from the breakout this morning, I took the guaranteed 25pips and left the other half to run. +80 was on offer. Looking like I will get stopped out for +50(25) on the remaining half so +50 total.