Bollinger band trading with MAs

yeah center boll should be the exit for my 1h, but I try to anticipate things some times. +100 approximately for me. Got in last night

Mike theres a question I would like answered. :stuck_out_tongue:

Daily PA is above the 20:2 boll and wicked on the boll breaking candle. Too early to tell if its the start of another longer trade short (but closed my 3/11 long at the 20:2 upper band). I will be happier with tomorrows candle as a clearer indication. Today I will be concentrating on the 1h chart shorts.

BE? :slight_smile: Entered short at 1.6820… currently plus 22.

I meant your stop was most likely at b/e so it didn’t matter by then whether a retrace or price definitely going down :wink:

Well thats ok then. :D:D:D

Took at 30 pips as PA touched the lower 5:1 boll. Think were most likely in for 20-30 pip trades either way at least until New York open?

just wondering, since EUR/USD and USD/CHF has such a strong negative correlation, would EUR/CHF be a good candidate for boll bounces? It would be pretty much in a narrow horizontal range most of the time wouldn’t it?

You would have to move to one of the higher TF to charts to even try it on that pair - it moves something like 60pips per day (ATR). Once you include the spread, the 5min timeframe is out for boll bounces. Looking at 30min, it’s still very spiky.

You trying to find pairs with flat boll ranges?

I think I have too many charts up now :smiley:
8hr and 4hr show good reversal patterns outside the 20:2
However, 1hr is around the middle boll and might show a continuation.
30min, 15min, and 5min are at the lower 20:2 suggesting a bounce upwards.

SanMiguel…my exact thoughts. Seems like the first time I have actually interpreted the indicators same way someone who knows what they are doing has! I guess that is step in the right direction.

I’m going to wait and see what happens around the 1hr boll but on my 5min chart anyway. Things seem a bit slow at the moment on the pair.
If there’s no reversal sign, then I’ll shortly be in for a SELL on the 1hr crossover system - should have really sold from 1.6810ish.

not really ‘trying’ just something I thought of while looking at something else… one thing leads to another…

You think too much. :smiley:

And while you are thinking PA moves away from the areas of “getting in on the top” and leaving you behind still thinking about it.

The indicators were there a lot earlier…20:3BB on 5m,1h,4h, price level on 4h,1d, 1h PA angle, 5m [B] 63sma[/B]

Just zoom in 5m, 4h, 1d TF. And you see what I mean.

True true - I saw them, I just didn’t act in time as I was nursing the breakout trade :stuck_out_tongue:

Well I must confess to an extroadinary slack attitude to trading today. I placed that short this morning at 1.6820 and got completely side tracked by something else.:stuck_out_tongue:

PA went down to 1.6704 before wicking on the 1h and the retrace. Hmm… was up a decent amount before that bugger! I only mention it because using the 1h with a 2:1, 5:1 and 20:2 boll and you can see exactly where to have exited a short or entered a long.

Think as I completely missed my hedge I’ll leave it short for a while and see what happens.

RC when you hedge, is it because you have taken a 4hr or 1hr short and you are waiting for it to hit the other side of the bollinger? During the time it takes to reach there you trade the zig zags in between on the other timeframes?
When do you decide that the original trade is over and is not going to recah the other side?
…or would you just exit at the middle boll.
I’m there are a thousand scenarios :slight_smile:

I haven’t needed to do this so far - I just take a trade in 1 direction and when I close it, I look for another - works fine for me…it’s just a question of theory.

As you know I like two candles at the outer 20:2 boll before considering a genuine reversal. First candle to break the outer 20:2 and possibly wick. After candle close I wait for the second candle to preferably also wick and change colour before entering a trade in the direction of the centerline boll. This would signal a classic reversal of PA but often its just one wick on either candle at the outer boll easpecially on the longer TF charts.

I always take a trade on a wick at the outer 20:2 boll on the daily timed using the 1h. Sometimes PA will do a boll to boll but rarely. I just follow the 2:1 boll within the 5:1 boll and see where it leads.

I have two strats as mentioned earlier. On the daily strat I am still trading the 1h and look to the daily for an overall direction and hedge obvious reversals. On the more active trading again I use the 1h chart but am now looking to the 5m and 15 for timed entries and exits with no hedge just a straight forward trade.

You are right of course at some point it becomes obvious that PA has changed course rather than just a retrace. But using the hedge I have already locked in the max profit out of the whole move before the more permenant change of direction if that makes sence.

Yep, logical. Presume the same on the 4hr timed on the 1hr for the slower trades.

On a similar principle, the 1hr today would have had 2 spikes for the 15min trades wouldn’t it, 1 around 0800 (stopped out), 1 around 1000 (successful). I was in the breakout trade for the 1st one and completely missed the 2nd.

In point of fact we are still in an up cycle on the daily so my trade today was strictly speaking a counter trend trade. I will be happier when I see PA make another go at the 20:2 boll on the daily and then wick i.e. two candles at or around the 20:2 boll on the daily. Then I will seriously consider a longer trade short and hedge retraces. Daily chart reversals are almost always accompanied by two candles.