Bollinger band trading with MAs

LOL

I’m famous !

I missed it. Slept right through it because I don’t like leaving a trade on overnight. :frowning:
MercantPrince, hope you had more luck with the 1h than I did. I have to learn to follow my own system.

You could design an EA to manage your overnight trades for you.
I sometimes use EAs for that…I never use an EA to enter a trade though.
It could trail your trade, close it out if price crosses over the centre bollinger, etc. If you are going to trade the 1hr, you are going to have to hold on for the long run.

SanMiguel
I’ve been thinking of that too. I don’t want one to open trades for me but would like one to just run while I’m asleep to close a trade on an MA cross. Could use a trailing stop but would rather use an MA cross. One problem with that is I’m using Oanda for my live acct. and I can’t use an ea on their platform. So maybe I could have one on metatrader that would signal me somehow? Can an ea send a phone call?

It can send you a text but you’d have to have it email your address at your mobile phone and the company then converts it to an sms and send it to you: Can MetaTrader send SMS? - MQL4 forum
If you’re going to a UK broker in future to hedge then may as well just use metatrader…up to you.

Speaking of which, if you are a re non resident of the UK but you use a UK broker do the FSA still cover your account in the case of the broker going bust, etc.?

I would like to use fxcm UK eventually when I build my account up large enough. I can use their micro account but you cant use metatrader with their micro, only with their regular accounts.
I cant use text messaging on my phone. I have an Apple iphone but its supplied by the day job and they dont allow text messaging. Strange, all the other features are enabled like web and apps.
Maybe I could have an ea that would sound an alarm on my PC and I could turn the volume up enough to wake me. I dont necessarily want the ea to close the position but just notify me so I could get up and look at it. Actually, you already did an MA crossover ea that sounds an alarm. but it is not loud enough so scratch that idea. On second thought maybe it would be good to have it close the position for me and then I could deal with the aftermath later.

Off topic, Im using Firefox and its buggy, I cant use an apostrophe when I type… anyone else use firefox and have that problem? its very annoying since I use lots of contractions.

Maybe it’s your language settings or something?
I have no problems but try Opera to check…

Excellent, hedge account setup so now I can look at some of these 1hr crossover trades as well as trading in between.
Have a good weekend all - hope the bands, tunnels, MAs, and everything else were good to you this week :slight_smile:

okay guys here is my first question. I’m sure it was answered but I am looking for a clear understanding. What is the proper use of the ma’s in this system? I am in a trade right now. I took a 5 minute bounce of the lower bb

The thing is this when I entered the trade all the ma’s were pointing down and had’nt started to cross up yet. Am I supposed to wait for a bounce + the 2 or 3 lwma to cross up?

In the system I currently use I use ema’s and I trade the bounce off the 10 or 21 ema (15m chart) I guess what I am saying is I have gotten used to the slower ma’s as reference points and I am trying to understand the usefulness of the much faster lwma’s and how you guys use them. I noticed earlier in the thread that it was adviced to not even look at price action. Is that still true or do you guys take things like long wicks into account?

Sorry for the long post Im just trying to get a grasp on this system. As of now I am trading it with my “demo” account which is accually one of my accounts that got badly blown up over the past year. I have alot to learn about money management lol!!!

Thanks for the help guys

LOL, no you successfully talked me out of it when you mentioned the mid BB being level. I agree, we do have to learn to just follow your system! :smiley:

I also left that ill-fated positional short trade open, thinking the crossover on the Daily indicated an eventual downturn. This morning it turned back up enough to hit my 100-pip SL and the mas are crossing back over on the Daily chart once again.

Perhaps I should just stick to the hourly and 15 minute trade indicators like you guys and leave positional trading to the experts with the larger accounts.

Wait for some others to chip in here as well.
The way I trade it now, I don’t use the LWMAs as much but I look for a flattening tunnel of 5 and then the tunnel moving in a different direction - it has much the same effect but there is no crossover so whatever you prefer. The crossover is a more definite signal.
The conservative way to trade it is to follow the MA crossover from the bollinger edges. However, if the 1hr PA is at a SR line you will probably get in quicker if you wait for a 5/15min wick outside the 20:2, then a change of candle colour to enter your trade (wick should be about 50% of the candle but not a strict guideline). I believe some trade the re-entry of price back into the tunnel of 5 allowing them to get in a bit earlier.

I think where you will find LWMAs a bit more useful is trading either the daily chart but entry fine tuned on the 1hr (think RC uses regression lines for this, you’ll need to search back 10-20 pages) OR
trading the 1hr chart but fine tuned for an entry on the 15min.

You can opt to only trade in the direction of the current trend if you want to be a bit more conservative.

The more you watch 1 pair, the more you begin to recognise the patterns and PA at certain SR points. There are days for longer term trades and days for simple 5min boll bouncing trades.

[B]Is that what you meant or are talking about managing the trade afterwards?[/B]

Hi All,
I peruse most of the brokers out there and shortlist fxcm and fxopen to open a new account.Can someone give me an holistic review of fxcm and fxcm as a broker?
Thanks.

fxopen is one I looked at early on. but when I googled it, I read bad reviews so that turned me off from them. FXCM is probably a good one

TalonD,
Thank you for your response.This will surely help.It seems i have not got any bad review about FXCM.I may be leaning toward FXCM.

I use Oanda right now, but once I build my account big enough for FXCM UK I’ll move over to them.

You can google fxopen, someone recomended them to me. but when I went looking for reviews decided against it. Use your own judgment though.

Ok. I have reviewed fxopen and fxcm. I got both bad and good comments about fxopen and but it seems nobody has said something bad about fxcm.Just wanted to know more about fxcm here.i.e any member of this forum who is using fxcm to comment about their performance.
John.

I use FXCM micro UK and like it I like the platform and execution is good spreads are low. I have made withdraws with no problems.

I also use Oanda the platform is not great, spreads are low, the flexible position size is better for small accounts. The transaction cost of deposits and withdraws is lower with Oanda if you use PayPal.

My personal preference is FXCM if I have at least a few hundred bucks ($500)in the account and I plan to leave it there for a while. If I need to spend some of my trading money or am making a deposit and a withdraw every month I use Onada.

Hi Shrik,
Thank you for this. These are some of the facts i wanted to know,not just from any website that reviews broker but straight from the horse’s mouth.
Thanks once again.

I’ve also been with FXCM UK from the beginning with a Micro account funded with $500. I haven’t withdrawn any money yet, but having a UK account is actually nicer than a domestic one, as there have been some complaints with the slower check payouts on the U.S. accounts - but the UK does withdrawals by wire transfer.

I haven’t done any withdrawals myself yet, but I can say I’ve never had any problem with orders filling and closing instantly and the client (Trading Station II) is my favorite of all the ones I’ve used. I can quickly add and customize indicators and can drag Entry orders, Stops and Limits easily right on the chart. I actually don’t like MT4, I find it very clunky to use compared to TS.

If there’s any slippage or any other issues with FXCM UK, I’ve never seen it. But I’ve only been trading a few months, so that’s my two cents.

I will second that:)

I don’t see any BB on your posted charts. The 15m might look like a bounce…but I can’t tell from what I see @posted chart. Looks like your BUY on 5m was initiated after second candle wicked & changed color. No…?