Book Studies - Anyone like to join?

sigh… From a few posts above:

I’d like to join. I’m new to forex…trading on a demo account. Love reading. Please count me in.

I’m in ,so do we start

Very interested thank very much for your contribution, it’s a lot to some of us newbies, stay blessed

This sound very interesting,i also like to join and enjoy this wrold wide FX reading.

Unfortunately I’m a bit late to post. I would like to join thanks… Very new to trading. I would provide my list at another time (a bit later)

I hope I’m not too late to join. How would it work?

Hi. I am very interested in joining such a group. It would be good for my self-discipline too. Let me know when you will start and what format the group will take. I have all these books anyway…though have failed to read most. Cheers

Kris

Due to unforeseen circumstances, I will be unable to manage this project.

I appreciate your concern but please leave information of WEBSITE to get this books.

Technical Analysis of the Currency Market

Wiley.com

I really want to see this get going. Because I rather be on here discussing Learning Forex with people, rather than, on some website looking at a bunch of trash. So if phydaux won’t be able to manage the project, I’ll give it a shot.

The book we already decided on is The Forex Trading Course by Abe Confas. It seems like the first edition of the book is the easiest to find. It can be downloaded or you can buy the actual book. So, in order to give everybody time to get the book and for others to join group. Let’s all agree to have the book by the 9/22/2017.

Hi Obmatt,
I admire your tenacity with this project and your obviously sincere wish to continue with it. So, if you feel it might be of any help, then I am happy to participate a little here.

Here are some extracts from the book preface which describe its principle objectives and targetted audience:

“This book is written for the purpose of providing a getting started guide in forex
trading. It, however, is not only for the person new to forex, but for those who have tried
to trade forex but received mixed results through trial and error.”

“The underlying premise of this book is that traders are not born—they evolve. Our
goal is to sharpen the insights and the skills of the reader by providing both fundamental
and technical knowledge that are common to successful traders.”

“The book is organized as a self-paced sourcebook. Each chapter topic is in essence
a module of knowledge, which can be read individually or sequentially.”

“Learning about trading must be interactive, so throughout the book you will find
“assignments” that test your skills. They are designed to help you assess how well you
understand the material”

1 Like

The original idea here on this threads was that each participant would take a separate chapter and comment on it. However, personally I would prefer that everyone reads the same chapters at the same time and then mutually discuss its content. Any comments or preferences about this?

In the meantime, whilst waiting to see who are joining in, here are some further general comments from the early parts of this book.

The book covers both a fundamental and technical approach to trading but does not see these as an “either/or” decision even for trading on short timeframes like 5m. He states:

“Why take time to look at forex fundamentals? Why should fundamentals matter if a trade is done off a short-term time interval such as the 5-minute chart? The short answer is that one cannot separate the fundamentals from the technical analysis without exposing oneself to great distortions in understanding the forex market. Foreign exchange is by its nature both fundamental and technical and reflect the increased globalization of the world economy.”

Whilst I am not personally convinced that following fundamental factors is necessary for trading short term positions, it is clear that the contents of this book, although divided into fundamental and technical sections, are intended to form a whole picture rather than separate approaches to trading.

Part 1 starts with some good basic concepts of what forex is about:

“Consider the following: every transaction in the world settles in a currency. Whether it is a consumer purchase, an imported or exported item, an investment in an equity, or even cash under the mattress, the world’s economic activity is essentially a flow of money.”

It is easy to forget that there is a real forex market underlying our retail/broker world, which is constantly moving huge sums of money around the globe. Nor are currencies only related to their own domestic economy. The USD, for example, is the most widely used currency in commerce even between non-US parties.

“Forex trading becomes possible because the world is constantly assessing and reassessing the value of one currency against another. The forex currency trader is looking to tap into this stream of changing values”

This, I think, is very nicely stated. Huge amounts of international trade are influenced by, and respond to, particular levels of currency, and massive investment funds follow the relative returns obtainable from various investment alternatives, currency levels, and interest rates. Whilst the world still trades and invests freely and across borders there will be a forex market, and that market will continually move.

“The challenge is to find the right combination of tools that can assist the trader in finding high-probability profitable trades”

Ahaa! I knew there must be a catch… :slight_smile:

1 Like

@anon46773462 I am loving and can truly believe more and everyday that “traders are not born-they evolve”. A big reason I want be able to visit this site and discuss books, and other Forex topics, is because I want grow and learn as much as possible about Forex.
One thing I love about this book is the fact that it ties together the fundamental and technical aspects of trading. The general premise isn’t based on one over the other. The more I demo trade, the more I learn that analysis of both fundamental and technical factors are key to making successful trades.

1 Like

I am a returnee to babypips.com and trading. I saw this thread, and I, too, would enjoy becoming a part of this study team. I am interested in long term trading because my life is so busy. I lost a lot of money in 2008 because of lack of discipline. I have been away from trading until recently. I know I must “evolve” with understanding the BASICS and start from the beginning. I see that you will start Sept 22. Can I just join at that time? Would I have an assignment?. THANKS so much for allowing me this opportunity. Debbie

Welcome back Debbie. I hope your renewed interest in forex trading is (a lot) more successful this time! :slight_smile:

Of course you are welcome to join in! But this is not any kind of formal structured study group. For any “participant” to benefit from this it only requires actually reading and studying the book personally and then sharing one’s insights here with others.

From the reaction so far here, it seems that there are people interested in reading others’ inputs but not much commitment to pesonally read and provide their own input for others!

Bear in mind that the majority interest here is most likely to comprise newcomers and learners rather than experienced traders (this is, afterall a Newbie site) and so it is important that this thread only forms part of one’s own overall study plan! :slight_smile:

Whilst I am generally a very optimistic and positive person, I am also very pragmatic and, from what I have seen so far here, I doubt that it is going to develop very far :/…but I sincerely hope that I will be pleasantly proved wrong in that view, as I think there is a lot of potential benefit in doing this…but it is all in the hands of you, the participants.

1 Like

Thank you for your input Manxx. I was able to find the book we will be discussing and have already begun reading it. I am excited to be an active participant, and HAPPY that you will be here to comment and contribute your thoughts as you have already done. I am VERY serious about learning to trade the Forex correctly, as my goal is one day to be profitable like all of us here. Again, thank you! I am grateful for your response…and look forward to participating :):slight_smile: