Brandleesee - My Active Trading Journey

It is I that should thank you for reading and replying to my post! :grin:

Unfortunately, the modern world of communications is such that any message that extends beyond two sentences is already too laborious and arduous to bother with, other than a brief skim read.

But I am a real dinosaur in this field and I am not capable of putting my thoughts into single words or phrases. So I don’t really post much nowadays…

But I am taking a look at your other mentioned thread, “Amateur mistake” and I might add a few thoughts there, too. :wink:

1 Like

Thank you for the kind words @SovoS. Many a time I go through short posts and reply on the fly but when I see long posts I save them and actually allocate time to read and digest the information. So when I am in a mood where I have a ‘quick look and go’ attitude, I usually skip long posts for another time. That’s why I reply to those after a considerably long time (3 days+).

1 Like

This section was dutifully neglected. I found it more appropriate to initiate a separate thread as I needed advice on how to alter my trading methodology after a particular mistake. A thread dedicated to trading journals is not fit for advice askance. Not to spoil the matter any longer, it may be read here:

Today’s post shall focus on the outcome that erroneous trades have on my psyche. I write for myself because, at the end of the day, I can only observe my reactions and no one else. I can read about others but I can only converse on my feelings and emotions.

As is my preferred writing style, I shall be peppering my experiences with wisdom found around the web and helpful members of this community.

Without further ado, who is familiar with that thread, anyone who revises the choice of words of my initial post may realise that I may have been brusque and rough in my execution despite trying my best to remain cordial in my plea for advice.

The mystery behind the deviant writing approach is that those words reflected my state of mind at the time. I wrote that thread as soon as the adverse market move was happening. I recall taking hasty screenshots, which can be seen by their colour and lack of want to switch off the offending software and start writing those paragraphs.

Eventually, the responding community members made me see the light in my dark approach and am actively taking steps to ameliorate the outcome of my trades. However, this is not the subject of today’s topic. It is the emotional status of my mind after having executed a trade that went the other direction I had envisaged which is still taking me aback.

Not to resort to revenge trading, I heeded the advice given by @ronniepittman and halted the trading session for a considerable period until I gathered my thoughts back and felt I could resume the session in a comfortable state of mind. You might be asking what that advice was. Here you go:

…a simple sentence which reflects much truth not only from a personal level but as a notion reinforced after having consumed many a thread in this forum.

Since I mentioned revenge trading, I think it would be worth the while to elaborate on this phenomenon. Essentially, and as described by Dr. Pipslow, this conditional trading is the result of trades executed after initial positions go the other way we expect induced by a fear that we might have been wrong. This aggressive stance is another source of despair and red trades.

Reverting back to my state of mind after that offending trade, I realised that the common theme of this trading journal is still prevailing as far as I am concerned. Essentially, my issue is all about mental toughness. While there is a whole thread dedicated to the subject I found some comments worthy of note which I wish to share:

We can foster a personal culture of suitable, attractive and results-yielding trades if we follow the list of tasks @PrinceSajir shared to bolster a confident mind:

For those who find no objection to walking that extra mile then may I suggest meditation as advised by fellow members @ronniepittman and @centipede. Let me quote both their comments in their entirety for proper understanding.

A personal note on meditation from my end, to be honest, I am in favour of such a calming and relaxing activity, yet, I have never brought myself to really and truly sit or lie down, breathe and relax my mind. I would rather immerse myself in music, instead.

Well, this point reaches the end of this post. Let us all look ahead to the forthcoming trading week. Good day all!

2 Likes

I’m sooo impressed with how detailed and well-written your entries are here. :blush: They were very insightful and very fun to read, especially since you raised a lot of interesting points! :blush: Somehow, I’m kinda ashamed with how casual my trading journal is. :sweat_smile: This thread definitely deserves all the attention it’s getting from the other members! :blush:

This got me so curious! :open_mouth: I’ve never actually tried talking to myself about my trades but is this something that you continue to do? :thinking: Would it be as if you’re creating a video guide for newbies? I do this sometimes when I’m cooking (I pretend to be a star in a cooking show lol), and it does help me more detail-oriented. I just never thought of doing it for my trade! :thinking: Might give it a go since I’m talkative anyway. :sweat_smile:

2 Likes

Thank you very, very much for the kind words, @ria_rose!
I am immensely grateful for appreciating my content :blush: :blush: :blush:

About the self-listening concept, yes, it is indeed something that I do. And I shall be honest with you, there are times when I forget to practice it. Then I realise I am simply observing a chart and start reasoning out my mind ad alta voce!

The analogy of a video to newbies, is quite spot on because when I do that it is akin to explaining to someone what I am seeing and what has happened so far on the chart and what I believe is about to happen next (in a minute, in an hour, in a day, etc).

You know what, I suck at cooking so I’m gonna start reading recipes aloud now! Kidding! :grinning_face_with_smiling_eyes:

Thank you once again, @ria_rose!

1 Like

I tried this out with my trading also and I realized that it’s really easier to process things when you say it out loud. :open_mouth: It was easier for me to realize how ridiculous it is to have a 250-pip SL for a 200-pip trade. :sweat_smile: I feel like there’s also the pressure to really know what you’re talking about (since you’re pretending someone’s listening to you). :stuck_out_tongue: Maybe give it a few more years and you’d see me posting my own YT videos here. :stuck_out_tongue: HAHA

HAHAH! Do it. :stuck_out_tongue: Then let me know how that works for you. :sweat_smile: Hahaha.

Good luck with your trading this week also Brand! :smiley:

In my opinion, you coined it well… because I truly believe that it does help one process and digest the subject being observed and studied. Haha, I would be the first one to watch your videos talking to yourself, I mean, to us watchers lol!

I haven’t cooked anything, yet, but I certainly have eaten a lot! But my eating is not the topic to discuss, its the cooking that matters :sweat_smile:

Oh, thank you for the good wishes, same goes for you, @ria_rose :blush:

Today I have no lengthy posts to share.

Not that I have neglected my knack for writing but because the lengthy post has been created elsewhere in this forum and wish to share here.

https://forums.babypips.com/t/academic-research-on-veracity-of-online-financial-media-survey-eventual-results/816436

In a nutshell, I am conducting research on a very peculiar topic which is very close to my heart as years ago I followed blindly some shady online advice and ended with a loss. So, I have been given the opportunity to choose a topic of my choice for my dissertation and opted to investigate whether my experience is only a one-time experience or a recurrent occurrence. Well, shysters are around every corner so I want to gauge the sentiment properly.

Whoever does not want to bother with the long read in the above post, the link to the survey follows (no emails, names, salaries, addresses, gender, etc are asked in the survey).

https://forums.babypips.com/t/academic-research-on-veracity-of-online-financial-media-survey-eventual-results/816436

Thank you once again for reading my posts :slight_smile: I am grateful.