Breakout level trading

Hi traders. When trading a breakout do you wait for a candle to close above the breakout level or do you enter as soon as price reaches the level and enter with a buy stop order in an uptrend?

2 Likes

no

yes - my buy-stop is already there, a couple of pips/ticks above the previous bar, it’s filled when the price touches it

yes, almost always

3 Likes

Thanks for the input flamingo.

3 Likes

I prefer to wait for a candle to close above the breakout level as confirmation before entering the trade.

2 Likes

what is it “confirming”, Preston?

why would it be a better trade because you happen to have set your chart-timings so that the price is above that line at the end of a candle rather than half-way through it?

highs and lows are objective and determined by the market, but where/when the candle closes is just something that you have told your software how to display - why is that better?

2 Likes

It depends on the strategy. Its unrealistic to separate out one characteristic of a strategy for optimisation but to expect the others to remain unaffected in their own silos.

As a rule of thumb, if I’m looking for a trend-following position which extends across multiple bars, and the entry trigger pattern isn’t one that shows a lot of momentum, I would want to see at least one close on my side of the recent price action.

If I’m using a strategy that gives me a position I’m happy to exit as soon as a target is reached, even 1 or 2 bars later, and the entry signal show slits of energetic price movement, I’m happy just to enter on a breach of a trigger level.

2 Likes

it depends but mostly no

2 Likes

i do too. same here

1 Like