Brexit - A Difficult Landing

Brexit - A Difficult Landing

The process of separation between the United Kingdom and the European Union is nearing its end. The final debate in the British Parliament began on January 7th and will conclude on the 14th with a closing vote. This discussion should have been had on the 11th of December, however Prime Minister Theresa May cancelled the vote the day before to gain time for another try at re-negotiating the terms of their departure with Brussels. This attempt was unsuccessful. The EU expected London to be the one to propose a new offer, since they themselves had no intention of changing the original agreement. Unfortunately, neither did Prime Minister May. What she did achieve, was a formal vote of confidence from the Parliament that allowed her to delay the decision while also strengthening her position.

Britain’s parting from the EU, or Brexit as it’s popularly known, is the dissolution of a 50 years old political and economic alliance. It’s only natural that it would involve much more work and difficulty than those in favor of it had initially thought. Brexiters successfully campaigned on preserving British independence and swayed the majority of the population. Even so there were only a select few of them who would’ve been willing to take charge of the negotiations necessary to bring it to fruition. It was obvious from the beginning that building a consensus on the matter would be outright impossible. Enter Theresa May, who came out of the blue and stepped up to the task when no Brexiter would. During these negotiations many of the arguments in favor of Brexit turned out to be untenable. The EU does not guarantee access to their market if the free flow of goods and services is halted. The US did not offer them an exceptionally favorable trade deal either. Instead of these promises being fulfilled, voters were faced with their own political elite being incapable of cooperation ever since.

The Bank of England (BoE) released its own estimates of Brexit’s expected effects during the tail end of last year. Even though there’s still two and a half months before the separation, the central bank’s analysts already have a good idea of its economic effects based on the period following the referendum. Although such an analysis may have been more useful before the referendum itself, the BoJ opted to not take a stance in that tense political climate, since they estimated the possibility of the vote passing to be very low.

The BoE outlined two separate scenarios, each compared to what would’ve been if UK had chosen to remain a part of the EU.

1. “Disruptive”, as in an exit based on an agreement.
  2. “Disorderly”, as in a no-deal Brexit.

The central bank already expected the prospects for economic growth to decline even before the referendum, however, these latest reports depict a much harsher aftershock than previously anticipated.

According to the statements made by Mark Carney, the Governor of the BoE, neither the country’s industry nor its infrastructure are prepared for the withdrawal. In the no-deal version the country would be left with no international trade agreements from one moment to the next, since all the ones they have with third parties were signed as EU members, making them null and void on exit. In the BoE’s estimation, this would isolate the UK not just from the rest of Europe, but the entire global trade network. Having to build this network of agreements from the ground up could take years, during which domestic companies would be limited in their ability to enter foreign markets. This is the primary factor underlying the 8% drop in economic growth and it could potentially throw the country into a recession before the end of the year, one they would have a hard time recovering from any time before 2021. If that were to happen other sectors besides industry would collapse as well. The BoE predicts that housing prices would drop by 30% and commercial real estate by 48% in England. Unemployment would double and inflation could reach 6.5%, necessitating a 4.5% base interest rate and even that wouldn’t be enough to stop the pound’s depreciation.

All in all it looks like the script to a disaster movie and at the same time it’s also a powerful argument that could give Theresa May a great deal of support during the upcoming critical Parliamentary vote. The central bank’s assertion will no doubt be on the mind of every single representative who has to cast a vote that day. Brexiters are still sticking to their guns and consider the BoE’s analysis merely an attempt to cause panic. The populace on the other hand is starting to have second thoughts as protests are being organized to pressure the members of Parliament into only withdrawing with an exit deal. Now that the Prime Minister has the central bank behind her to support her position, chances of a more orderly exit are on the rise. British government’s current playbook may be far from ideal, however, it’s nowhere near as intimidating as the potential consequences of a no-deal Brexit.

For now the government has organized a major attempt at trying to reinstate customs control on their borders for early 2019 to see what it would take to do so in the case of no-deal. This has become a pressing matter, since recent forecasts suggest a line of trucks stretching from Dover to Calais. The potential traffic congestion at the country’s point of entry could lead to a notable disruption of supply within Britain. While the result of the test has not been announced yet, the message is clear: there is a very real possibility of a disorderly exit.

Just had a quick speed read, will have a look at the rest but this part is not correct.

@Falstaff knows the correct sequence on the confidence vote

Yes a simple re-iteration of the ongoing and insidious “Project Fear”

WE voted 52% against 48% in the biggest vote ever in this country - a 10% majority - to LEAVE !

There was no instruction, expressed or implied in that Mandate to our politicians that there was any requirement for them to “negotiate” any form of “Deal” :neutral_face:

I note your “chart” is BoE view of “life after brexit” as published by BBC _ BOTH completely biased and unashamedly out to hijack the democratically voted will of the British People !

BoE of course were so well versed in Economic expertise that they completely ignored all the warnings and signs of the impending BANKING Mess of 2008 which is Still costing US huge amounts of money for THEIR cock ups ! - Something they absolutely Should have forseen and prevented ! :roll_eyes:

Thanks for that perspective. I was reading the OP and saying to myself, "I bet there is another side to the story?!"
Nigel Farage is on American TV, so I was, at least, aware of the “other” side.

Oh yes mate - we’re getting a little het up about this now !

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1069319/brexit-sabotage-mps-no-deal-preparations

https://www.express.co.uk/news/politics/1070587/brexit-news-no-deal-vote-debate-petition-map

I note though that the Pound seems to be holding up quite well - so it would seem “Somebody” is betting on us ! :sunglasses:

This is correct, they have written to business who report intra EU transactions on their vat returns informing them of 3 steps they must take.

Step 1 is easy, just register for an EORI number.

Step 2 is likewise - just employ the services of professionals who will do the required paperwork.

Step 3 is the one that the UK govt do not recommend for smaller business (the vast majority of UK business) - try to DIY, they suggest that it is too complex.

The first part UK govt guidance to business on a no deal is 119 pages, there are 47 parts.

There are further updates that I’m still digesting (heartburn) :slight_smile:

Edit: in fairness to the govt, their notes do warn that we might incur some costs

Oh - how could I forget that alongside the all the info given to us on how to prepare for a no deal there are a further 106 ‘Technical Notices’.

Worse than that - the last letter that I received from HMRC (uk tax authorities) , dated Dec21, actually told me to do nothing until I hear from them … grrrrrr

Actually the thread title is very good - the flight since the UK voted for Brexit has been very smooth for business in general.

Eur/Gbp is a business traded cross, back at the end of 2015 that cross was becoming extremely difficult, the rate being offered was averaging around 69.00 - UK exporters to their nearest market were squeezed.

Then after the vote things looked up - now the landing part - that’s where it gets bumpy.

A deal scenario will boost GBP around 12% max is the suggestion, which is ok, a no deal scenario is more difficult to gauge, likely GBP downside - but to where?

One final note on the thread title, I mentioned earlier on the issues that UK business, and especially small business, face in the Brexit set up.

It does of course affect larger business, many of whom choose to remain quiet from politics.

I’m aware of larger business that have chosen to invest in EU27 rather than UK so as to mitigate risk without fanfare, yet others like Hitachi waited until these last days - Japanese companies view risk in the same manner that investors buy Yen.

The net effect overall these last couple of years has been Euro positive, the cheaper GBP although helping UK exporters in the short term has caused larger companies to invest outside.

Uk’s nearest EZ large company competitor is Ireland, that country has shown a current account surplus on merchandise of Euro 27bn for the 1st qtr of 2018 - on the ground equals to hotels full, bars full, shops busy, small business flat out, people spending.

Will there be a hard EZ landing? - likely not because the spending isn’t based on debt.

Much of this is difficult from a personal viewpoint, I’m both UK and EZ, I use Euros and Pounds every day, I see petrol (gas) prices that are inflated in pounds, even little things like newspapers, then there are food banks where people on benefits have to resort to feed their families.

Then I go into the EZ, here there are homeless families in hotels because they cannot afford the high rents…

A difficult landing indeed.

Here’s an interesting take on the Euro-Zone

"People in Greece setting themselves on fire - committing suicide - but still they won’t give up the Euro!"

Remarkable assessment - with much truth in it - !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APBv9f1OMZY