Broker with API

Hi folks
I´m looking for a FX broker with the following requirements:

• API (C++ would be great, but Java would work aswell)
  • low minimum requirement (1k-2k EUR)
  • Paper trading to test the black box
  • low Pips (EURUSD 2 pips)
  • getting access to the development/demo area without funding an account

Hope this is possible :slight_smile:

Cheers!

You’re going to have a difficult time finding a broker with a proprietary API with that low of an account requirement. Interactive Brokers has a java API, but I think their min is 10K USD. Dukascopy also has a java API, but I’m unsure of their requirements.

quickfixJ is an open source FIX API, but I’m quite sure that any broker willing to let you send orders via the FIX protocol will require hefty account balances. There should be a C++ API for quickfix as well as I believe that is what the java API is based off of.

Hi Java Guy
Thank you for your reply.
Interactive Brokers would be nice but as you say, the minimum is 10k USD.
Forex.com would be a possibility aswell, they only require 5k USD.
Any experience with MB Trading?
Just sent Dukascopy a request.
Cheers

Does MB have a Java API? I was unaware of that.

Here is some food for thought … it [I]is[/I] possible to send simple string commands to a MetaTrader terminal via a java socket, essentially faking out an Expert Advisor - this would get you everything you just requested, including risk-free demo accounts, and a large array of brokers with varying account requirements.

BTW, I have tried using MB demo servers (on Meta Trader), and they are flaky as hell. Some on here say they are fine live, some say the flakiness continues on live servers. I guess if you’d like to take a flier on them, they have a very low minimum account, so it may be worth a shot.

They have a SDK, but I had no closer look at it…

I´m more keen to coding C++…but Java is ok :wink:

I wouldnt reccommend these clowns to my worst enemy, but IIRC CMS Forex used to have a free API

I would look into quickfix then, it is a C++ API and FIX is basically THE way to make inter bank communication. There may be a low entry point to using FIX somewhere out there, I haven’t done much research on it, but it is definitely on my very long list of things to do.

What about AvaFX? They have an API for both Java and .Net.

I’m not sure … if it works out, tell us about it!

I´ll do. But I don´t think the website looks trustworthy…
But I´ll keep you updatet which way i chose :slight_smile:

I emailed them about the API as well. I’ll take a look at it, but I agree on the website.

I’m also working on a black-box trading system in C++ as a personal project so I’m very interested in what you discover.
My day job is as a real-time c++ developer for a major FX firm. The firm offers a FIX interface but the minimum account deposit is high.
For a while now I’ve been recording the tick level price data for the majors from the internal Reuters feed to build a backtesting database.

I’m looking for a price feed for real-time forward-testing, without having to already open a broker account somewhere.

Do you have any tips for a free, internet-delivered, real-time price feed?