Clean Chart Or Indicators - Which Do You Prefer?

• Clean Chart
  • Minimal Indicators
  • Significant Indicators

0 voters

Currently just using MAs on mine. What about you @TopClint?

Clean chart,

To me, Its like trying to read a book with full sentences (price) versus trying to read a book with words missing from sentences (indicators).

Indicators, particularly the oscillators, make every overbought or oversold event the same, when they are not.

Trending indicators lag - big time.

One SMA, an off chart ATR and horizontal lines to mark out interested areas.

2 Likes

Show me a naked candlestick chart, remove the ticker symbol, and give me about 10 seconds and I can figure out if it is a buy, sell, anticipate buy/sell, or do nothing.

1 Like

Now that’s some skills!

1 Like

@purtle I use market maximum, market minimum, and MA.

how do you do this?

With a rubber

Hours of daily meditation. And no small amount of duct tape.

1 Like

same here

i use one SMA to close some trades (not to open any), and an off-chart ATR as a partial aid to determine targets and stop-losses for some trades (not for all of them), and horizontal lines to mark out areas of interest (always) and select entries

sounds like i’m maybe using a similar trading style to Mr Sandwich

in general, I believe that for most struggling traders, removing indicators is more beneficial than adding them

more specifically, i think that people who are trying somehow to confirm what one indicator is apparently telling them by using additional indicators, in the hope that they’ll have a higher win rate and thereby do better, overall, that way, are actually combining two very different mistaken approaches at the same time, almost inevitably with poor long-term results, and that they’re totally barking up the wrong tree

unfortunately, though, that’s a very common philosophy in forum discussions about how to trade, without its combination of two very misguided premises usually being examined or noticed at all

1 Like

Care to share how one can accomplish this? I understand what ATR is, but applying it to my trades is mystifying.

Quick q, does this mean it’s not an overlay e.g. it’s at the bottom of the chart or do you mean you have this completely somewhere else?

yes, just an ATR displayed under the price chart will do it

as an example: some people set a stop-loss of twice the ATR (measured over something 15 periods) when they enter the trade

it’s only one method - and as with all indicators, there are loads of different ways of using it

2 Likes

I use several indictors in order to define my entry points. I am waiting to get combined signal from all indicators included in my analysis. Of course, I am using several ordinary ones like MA, RSI and Bollinger Bands. In addition I have support/resistance lines always on my chart

Trend following approach is tricky you think you follow the trend but all available information about the price you receive through indicators is lagging hence you bet on past market events. The solution for this is backtesting or combine technical analysis with naked eye analysis which is based on intuition and experienced. Unfortunately this powerful tool is not available for rookie traders

Doesn’t that have the same issue, it’s data from the past, and not reflective of real-time movements?

Nah. Take every single market situation in the past where the pattern were observed as a random experiment (coin toss). The more experiments you make the more data you have to estimate relative frequency of pattern success which converge to true probability. Remember that some characteristics of random experiments tend to become non-random as you increase the number of tests so you can get unbiased data from such research.

1 Like

no, it doesn’t

it reflects what were real-time price movements in the past

obviously it doesn’t reflect current price movements, but it isn’t meant to and that isn’t what it’s used for

it doesn’t (quite) follow that a thoroughly backtested method which would have made consistent profits in the past will necessarily still make them tomorrow, but it’s still way better than trying to trade with a method you haven’t becktested by running it over a decade’s data: that would be “strongly inadvisable”, to put it very politely indeed

there are people (especially in forums) who will try to convince you that because backtesting is done on historical data and your trading will be done on future data, backtesting has no value

that view is total rubbish, of course, but probably they believe it themselves, on some level, or at least they hope it’s true, and sometimes (actually quite often) when people believe total rubbish, they want other people to believe it, too

1 Like

Any trading strategy or approach should be based on backtesting simply because we have no other data (about future for example) to use it for forecasting. I don’t believe that all past data is priced in the market so it is fully efficient. There are a lot of inefficiencies which we have to avail of exploring them.