Coding is it an addition to forex trading

What those coding has to do with forex trading? I just what to know, some people said coding help to trade successfully, are they right?

1 Like

Algorithmic trading is a different game - I am learning how to transition my current FX strategies into MQL5 and Python. It really is a different game and everyone has their own opinion on it, if you are interested there is so much information online.

People really do get lazy sometimes… Google is your best friend.

1 Like

Writing Bollinger on Bollinger Bands years before algos, HFT or expert advisors even existed John Bollinger mentioned that a little programming knowledge is handy.

Old timers like Ed Seykota programmed systems when they were still using punch cards.

I personally believe that learning some Python is worth the time - if simply for the fact if trading doesn’t work out for you (as it doesn’t for most) you have a very marketable job skill that commands a high salary.

I’d also stay away from the specific backtesting languages - I’d imagine outside of trading they are of little or no value.

4 Likes

You need just only little of Python to write trading algo. Definitely not enough to make it a backup plan with high salary on horizon :slight_smile:

Coding is useful skill overall. If you land a job in finance - you will probably benefit form knowing some basics (VBA, Python or anything). After understanding one language it is quite easy to learn others.

In trading world you can use it to create your own robots or to backtest your strategies. Still you need a solid basics in technical analysis / statistics and have at least few ideas for potentially profitable strategies to benefit from applying any automation.

1 Like

Anything related to algorithms can come in handy for market analysis. So try it - why not…?

Yes it is, I wrote a program where I give it what currency pairs I am currently trading and it presents a list of pairs that I can still trade in the order I want to check them out from best to worst. What criteria does it use? It drops all pairs that have at least one currency in common with my trading pairs then it calculates the correlation between the pairs I am trading and the pairs that are remaining and presents them in least to most correlated order. It helps me trade non-correlated pairs. Can I do that by hand? Yes but it would take a while so this program saves me a lot of time and effort.

You can program backtests of any system you can imagine because you are not dependent on other peoples stuff. If you want the 6-day EMA of the alternating open/close values that also weight any even numbered day more than an odd numbered day but reverses if we are in an odd numbered month then you can code it and test it. You can code statistical analysis and anything you can think of. It definitely helps even if only to prove that the system you want to use does not work.

1 Like

It helps me so much. I can sleep, do some chores, etc. while trading. I created tools for personal use on my semi-manual trading and for complex logic, I subscribed to good fully automated Forex Robots. I don’t put all the eggs in one strategy as all strategies has a certain level of risk.

This

It’s an addition if you like the idea of being able to run your strategy through countless possible configurations over any history and figure out in a short amount of time what works and what doesn’t.

It’s just an added skill I’d say and has nothing to do with trading better or making more money. I for instance don’t know a thing about coding but here I am. 6 years into trading and doing pretty decent. Just learn about forex with a good course and conduct a thorough market analysis to work on your strategies.

We will need to understand that in the business of Forex trading the main thing is to develop our trading skills.

It’s useful to automate tedious tasks of your analysis so you can do something else or you can analyze more and faster. It’s useful also to test new strategies faster. But, it is just a tool. You still need a good strategy to become successful.

Nope, they are wrong. Only those who build EAs and robots need it for Forex trading. Unless you want to be creating robots for yourself, you don’t need it to trade Forex.