COT Report Analysis - a thread on market sentiment

Re the risk thing - I was alerted to the possibility of there being ‘risk off’ today from one little story, no actually one little headline, I hadn’t time to read the story or the reason.

The headline, posted at 8.00am gmt simply said that the Shanghai Composite Index had fallen over 5% during the Asian, yet the Nikkei had been quiet - I was immediately aware that there had to be some ‘scare’ story in the market, a 5% drop in any index is always a sign of panic.

When there is a scare story traders will often rush to Gold and Yen - well that’s usually the knee jerk result.

I’ve now had some time to find out the scare - here is some info:

BB, re inverted yield curve.

When an investor buys a US bond the only risk to his capital is inflation. The longer the bond the greater the risk, so he seeks higher interest or yield the longer the term. The market dictates this yield.

Short term interest rate is dictated by the central bank, so a 3 month bond will return a much smaller yield than a 2yr or a 10yr

If the central bank raises the short term rates and the market decides that inflation risks are so low that it refuses to increases the longer term bonds then the yield curve becomes inverted, short term giving better than long term.

An inverted yield curve has preceeded all recessions in the past 50 yrs, so investors will simply take the view that if there such a set up then at the very least there is a lessening of GDP ahead.

John Murphy’s excellent work in his book on intermarket.

The one big thing to remember is that intermarket is contextual, it is important to seek the ‘why’ in the present.

Current example:

Generally in a diminishing economy the price of oil, along with other commodities, will fall, caused by falling demand - down CRB.

In a shrinking economy so too stock prices will fall, so it makes sense that CRB and S&P correlated.

So from earlier in this year there has been a determined falling of CRB with the opposite in S&P - Why?

The context of the why lay in Oil, or more specifically the new thing on the block - Shale Gas.

This caused a new dynamic, we now had a catalyst for raising stocks - cheaper energy, and not only that but specifically because of the lower oil price all other commodities fell in line and became cheaper, all raw materials for industry.

(I know there is the second dynamic - that of lower energy demand caused by two elements - lower demand in China and the policy of western govts of ‘low emission taxation’ and the third dynamic of the higher USD)

Always context.

Hey guys.
Tuesday’s results.

JPY : +7 -0 0///+3 -0 0
EUR: +5 -1 1///+3 -0 0
CHF: +4 -1 2///+2 -0 1
NZD: +4 -2 1///+2 -2 1
CAD: +3 -4 0///+2 -3 0
GBP: +2 -5 0///+1 -2 0
USD: +0 -6 1///+0 -2 1
AUD: +0 -6 1///+0 -4 1

Majors took it again. +5

0100 GMT shot

One more shot here. To Peter. Remember the FTSE. Sorry to throw this out there, but it’s not looking good for them. Here’s a monthly chart. It just seems like it’s gonna repel that major resistance, like it did before.

Ok guys. Well, it came. And I’m on it. I will shoot out any interesting things that I come across the book.

Mike

FTSE - still nothing much that would make me want to short it - I’ll target of 6640 for today or tomorrow.

Thank you for the help, Peter!

So, under normal circumstances, T-bond yields are higher than T-bill yields. And therefore, the price of T-bill is higher than the price of T-bonds?

Dollar VS Interest Rate and Stocks

“Falling interest rates begin to exert a downward pull on the dollar (falling interest rates diminish the attractiveness of a domestic currency by lowering yields on interest-bearing investments denominated in that currency), and the dollar starts to weaken. We then have a falling dollar, falling commodities, falling interest rates, and rising bonds and stocks. Eventually, the falling dollar pushes commodity prices higher. Rising commodity prices pull interest rates higher and bond prices lower. The lower bond market eventually pulls stock prices lower. Rising interest rates start to pull the dollar higher, and the bullish cycle starts all over again.”

Commodity trends (which match interest rate trends) are the result of dollar trends and in time contribute to future dollar trends.

Short-Term Rates VS Dollar

13-Week T-Bills yield & 30 Years T-Bonds yield

“Short-term interest rates are more volatile than long-term rates and usually react quicker to changes in monetary policy. The dollar is more sensitive to movements in short-term rates than to long-term rates. Long term-rates are more sensitive to longer range inflationary expectations. The interplay between short- and long-term rates also holds important implications for the dollar and helps us determine whether the Federal Reserve is pursuing a policy of monetary ease or tightness.”

13-Week T-Bills yield & 30 Years T-Bonds yield & Dollar Index

The Dollar will follow the direction of interest rates but only after a period of time.

Long-term rates are usually higher than short-term rates. When short-term rates are dropping faster than long-term rates, monetary policy is easy, which is bullish for financial assets. When short-term rates rise faster than long-ter mrates, monetary policy is tight, which is bearish for stocks.

While the direction of interest rates is important to the dollar, it’s also useful to monitor the relationship between short- and long-term rates (the yield curve).

Dollar VS Stock Market

“The relationship between the dollar and the stock market exists but is often subject to long lead times. A rising dollar will eventually push inflation and interest rates lower, which is bullish for stocks. A falling dollar will eventually push stock prices lower because of the rise in inflation and interest rates. However, it is an oversimplification to say that a rising dollar is always bullish for stocks, and a falling dollar is always bearish for equities.”

Dollar Index & 30 Years T-bond price

The potentially bearish impact of the weaker dollar would only take effect on stocks if and when commodity prices and interest rates would start to show signs of trending upward.

“Another reason why it’s so important to recognize the rotational sequence between commodities and stocks is to avoid misunderstanding the inverse relationship between these two sectors. Yes, there is an inverse relationship, but only after relatively long lead times. For long periods of time, both sectors can trend in the same direction.”

Hi Team,

those who took the Sugar trade can be happy for the first hour today. We can move SL to BE soon if it continues like that. We wait a bit and maybe there will be a good chance to scale in.

BB,
what you wrote is logical and I also researched it a bit on the net, it looks good.

FE

I have a question though regarding the definition. It talks about debt obligation under a year and above 10 years. However what is it called when maturity is between 1 and 10 years?

T-Note I think. Although I’m not sure. Peter surely knows.

Hey guys.

I know we’re all busy reading our book. But, I just wanted to get this out there.
Concerning the JPY. It hit me that they are on a roll, again. Monday and Tuesday they were on top. So I went back to get some details on when the last time they got on their kick. Broadly speaking they started to pick things up around the end of September. Right around 22nd. So that was the first week they started to come up. Then the second week, which was Sep 29 - Oct 3 they were second to the strongest, first was USD.
Then the third week (of their run) was Oct 6 - 10. They were the top dog then, second was NZD, USD was last. That was the final week of their run because they just started to drop out. They placed 5th, right in front of the USD. Then the next week after that they were bottom crawlers again.
So to bottle it up it looks like this. Week 1 they entered the scene, placed 3rd after USD, then GBP on top. Week 2 they were second, just behind USD. Week 3 they were the absolute strongest. Week 4 they were on their way down, (5th).
And now I’m just wondering if there will be any kind of repeat. (SURELY it won’t be exactly duplicated)
They had a 3 week strong run then. I’m curious to see how long of a run it will be now.
Here’s a daily shot of the Nikkei, daily chart.

And a daily chart of the JPY currencies.

You guys feel what I’m putting down?

Mike

I don’t get hung up on the terms, most just refer to them as bonds or US Treasuries with their attached term, hence US10yr, US30yr etc.

US10yr is often used as a benchmark if comparing bond market to say stock market.

Current yield curve here:

Bonds and Rates - CNNMoney

And some more insight here:

United States Government Bonds - Bloomberg

Hi Team,

yesterday I had a little talk with Peter because I have seen something irregular. It was everywhere written we have a risk aversion day, and looking at JPY and CHF it seems right. What is not right though is that in risk off environment we usually see the 3 comdolls at the very bottom. Looking at the charts and at Mike’s stats it is not the case. NZD produced bad numbers but still finished the day positive and CAD wasn’t that bad either. As I see, maybe Pip Diddy had a problem in his recap too to decide what is going on as I see some contradictions in the post: Asian Session Forex Recap - Dec. 10, 2014

He writes: “Risk aversion is still the name of the game! Higher-yielders were no match to the safe-havens in today’s Asian trading session, as bleak economic figures weighed on sentiment.” And later on describes how bad USD was beaten although it is also considered as safe haven.

Just thought I share it with you guys. Something to think about.

FE

Mike, it’s just an off the wall thought, did you ever try comparing JPY with VIX, I have never done so but I will, also just thinking might run some comparison with Russell 2000 and also the etf on S&P600.

Just thinking maybe help get a feel for ‘risk on/off’ in the market and whether any of these might lead.

FE, you were posting same time as me, both of us thinking about risk at the same time - the idea of a risk indicator is possible - I have often thought about situations like the ‘scare’ that came from China and first affected the Shangai index.

My feeling is that this type of knee jerk is caused by the split in the outlook of the two main market participants, namely Traders (large, small doesn’t matter) and Investors (again size no matter).

That guy Guppy insists that investors act slowly, he is correct, Investors generally act, traders often react, it’s as if traders are always trying to second guess what investors are likely to do in the immediate future.

So investors have been buying heavily into the Shangai and as a consequence it has been rising rapidly.
The little scare caused traders to sell heavily because of the possibility that investors have ‘overbought’.

When the knee jerk is over then they realize that investors are unperturbed, in fact placing more buys orders and so the Shangai rises over 2% last Asian.

Hi Guys, just one post tonight - I’ll share what it is I’m looking at before I will buy S&P/ FTSE

The Russell 2000 and the S&P600 are both at interesting levels - they both gave good signals yesterday, so I await a break to the upside before buying:

Russell 2000 daily:

And the S&P600 daily - (similar to the 2000):

Note the position at yesterday’s close - a strong up day suggesting that investors were very happy to take on risk.

If you are an investor and just want to take on the risk/reward associated with small caps but really do not want to go into the depth of selecting individual companies, then there is always the tracking ETF.

Note the volume on yesterday’s buying, this is bullish and again a clear signal of investors’ risk appetite

Chart from Stockcharts, symbol IWM, ETF tracking the Russell 2000:

Update to above, Russell 2000 heading south, no buying for a while now by the looks of it.

This is hourly

Hey guys.

Wednesday’s results.

NZD: +7 -0 0///+5 -0 0
JPY : +6 -1 0///+2 -1 0
EUR: +5 -2 0///+2 -1 0
CHF: +4 -3 0///+2 -1 0
AUD: +2 -4 1///+1 -3 1
GBP: +2 -4 1///+1 -1 1
USD: +1 -6 0///+1 -2 0
CAD: +0 -7 0///+0 -5 0

Majors eeked it out. +2

Gold

The gold market plays a key role in the entire intermarket story. Gold is viewed as a safe haven during times of political and financial upheavals. As a result, stock market investors will flee to the gold market, or gold mining shares, when the stock market is in trouble. Certainly, gold will do especially well relative to stocks during times of high inflation but will underperform stocks in times of declining inflation.

Gold plays a crucial role because of its strong inverse link to the dollar, its tendency to lead turns in the general commodity price level, and its role as a safe haven in times of turmoil.

A major bottom in the gold market (which usually coincides with an important top in the dollar) is generally a warning that inflation pressures are just starting to build and will in time become bearish for bonds and stocks. A gold market top (which normally accompanies a bottom in the dollar) is an early indication of a lessening in inflation pressure and will in time have a bullish impact on bonds and stocks. However, it is possible for gold to drop along with bonds and stocks for a time.

It’s important to recognize the role of gold as a leading indicator of inflation. Gold doesn’t react to inflation; it anticipates inflation.

Global Interest Rates

The attractiveness of the dollar, relative to other currencies, is also a function of interest rate differentials with those other countries. In other words, if U.S. rates are high relative to overseas interest rates, this will help the dollar. If U.S. rates start to weaken relative to overseas rates, the dollar will weaken relative to overseas currencies. Money tends to flow toward those currencies with the highest interest rate yields and away from those with the lowest yields. This is why it’s important to monitor interest rates on a global scale.

The normal sequence of events among the various sectors is as follows:
[ul]
[li]Rising interest rates pull the dollar higher.
[/li][li]Gold peaks.
[/li][li]The CRB Index peaks.
[/li][li]Interest rates peak; bonds bottom.
[/li][li]Stocks bottom.
[/li][li]Falling interest rates pull the dollar lower.
[/li][li]Gold bottoms.
[/li][li]The CRB Index bottoms.
[/li][li]Interest rates turn up; bonds peak.
[/li][li]Stocks peak.
[/li][li]Rising interest rates pull the dollar higher.
[/li][/ul]

Commodity Indexes

The precious metals and the energy groups are especially important because of their impact on the overall commodity price level and their wide acceptance as barometers of inflation.

However, although each individual commodity market has equal weight in the CRB Index, this does not mean that each commodity group carries equal weight.

The three most important sectors to watch when analyzing the CRB Index are the grains, metals, and energy markets.

International Markets

Global markets generally trend in the same direction.

DJIA, FTSE, NIKKEI, DAX

This phenomenon is especially interesting. I wonder why are they moving in harmony with each other?

Although the stock markets of individual countries may not rise or fall at exactly the same speed or time, all are influenced by the global trend.

The British market has a tendency to lead the U.S. market at peaks. - I’m not really sure about that. I checked it, and can’t confirm it.

It’s important to watch global trends when analyzing the US Bond market (Japanese Bonds, British Bonds, etc.)

U.S. bond prices becomes very important. If world bond prices are showing signs of moving lower, chances are U.S. bond prices will follow. Technical analysis of global bond trends becomes a part of the analysis of the U.S. bond market.

U.S. stock prices are influenced in two ways by global markets. First, by a direct comparison with overseas stock markets, such as Britain and Japan (which are influenced by their own domestic bond markets). And second, by U.S. bond prices which are themselves influenced by global bond markets.

Hey guys.

What I was looking for mostly on this chart was that to confirm if specs net position was in harmony with the existing trend and if commercials were the exact opposite. Although the vertical lines and net positions didn’t turn out as perfectly aligned as AUDCHF I’m all good to see that what I was looking the most was confirmed.

During the course of year 2014 there was only a single buy signal which I have drawn vertical line from 3 years COT index and it was on 8th Mar as you can see from the chart above it was right on time, and on weekly major support.

PS: I’m currently working on GBPCAD. CAD pairs seem challenging. I’ve got 100 from specs and 0 from commercials at a resistance what do I make of this ? BB and FE ??