COT Report Analysis - a thread on market sentiment

Hi Team,

we only discuss lately the new COT ideas but say nothing how the previous ideas worked out. I entered 2 trades based on the COT report: Cotton shows a little profit, Sugar almost hit my SL (most likely it will). Copper would have been a better buy, just like Wheat.

We will see what the next week brings but a little evaluation from everyone who entered based on our analysis would be for the benefit for all of us. If we do not discuss our mistakes then we cannot advance. I do not mean here entries and exits but the products themselves. Sugar looked a great opportunity for example but does not seem to work. It is not to blame anyone, but it worth a discussion maybe.

FE

I still have some faith in Sugar. It is re-testing the falling support line, we’ll see how it works out.

Small trade on S&P just closed - I took only 30 points from sell, left about 120 points on the table - I am more than happy with the 30, sometimes that’s the way it goes, didn’t expect so much movement so late.

Anyways here is what I saw, I hadn’t time to check the Russell, just saw the selling and entered, as I said was looking for 30.

Earlier this morning I noted that the US10yr was up at a resistance and was stalling, because there seemed little effort to come back down I didn’t enter long - by 17.30gmt I expected a quiet close, I was aware that any possible momentum would be downside because of the TA, but still didn’t expect much.

USB10yr - 15min chart:

The interesting thing is the 15min S&P, willspread gave first a buy signal which I ignored because of the TA on USB10yr and the TA on the S&P, but then it gave a sell signal around 17.15

I didn’t take this signbal either, because Friday evening etc, but then price broke the yellow dotted line - then I entered , DD nil.

This is using intermarket coupled with TA as a filter for Willspread, just thought I’d share :slight_smile:

Clarification: I was not ever intending to trade the 10yr, just using it as a guide as to what the market was thinking, the S&P was my focus, and 30 points my goal.

Let’s back up here because this is exciting. Let’s assume that the process about intermarket analysis is true. We are now in the phase were both Gold and CRB have peaked. We are now waiting for an increase in interest rates until they peak (so we are waiting for all the major economies to resolve their economic crises and increase their interest rates until it tops, this is not just the US correct?)

Now we are saying that only then, would stocks start a rally until gold bottoms?

Or? Is it that we are now in the phase were gold ad CRB are now about to bottom…the US raise interest rates, stocks reach a top and the dollar starts a rally?

Which scenario do you guys think we are in?

Hey guys.
Weeks results.

JPY : +1685///+816
CHF: +651///+463
EUR: +585///+645
NZD: +483///+50
GBP: +283///+579
USD: -624///+117
AUD: -1400///-1182
CAD: -1663///-1448

Majors ran away with it this week. They had +2580 pips up against Comms. They took every day.

Alright guys, database is updated.

Metals
Copper - Bullish
Gold - Neutral
Silver - Neutral
Platinum - Neutral
Palladium - Neutral

Grains
Corn - Neutral (almost bearish)
Rough Rice - Neutral (was bullish for a long time)
Soybeans - Neutral
Wheat - Neutral

Softs
Coffee - Neutral
Cotton - (almost bullish)
Sugar - Bullish

Energies
Crude Oil - Neutral
Gasoline - Neutral
Natural Gas - Bullish

Treasuries
Treasury Bonds - Neutral

VIX - Neutral

Thoughts

So, we have 3 setup markets, one of them is Picture Perfect (signal in the direction of the main trend), that would be Natural Gas.

The price re-tested a support zone and bounced back for the moment, with Commercials taking the bullish side.

Seems like a nice opportunity.

We have a strong dollar, equity market and bond market (US). CRB was falling along with gold and foreign currencies. I think we are in a noninflationary period now.

Peter, what do you think about the divergence between the Bond market and the S&P?

The last time a divergence like that appeared, the S&P rallied.

I do agree that we are in a disinflation era which means we should have strong dollar, bond prices and stock market. On the other hand weak commodities.

Having said that, does it make sense to buy Natural Gas even if commercials are at an extreme long? Shouldn’t we look to sell natural gas only in this type of environment.

I like this new kind of analysis more with all the products in it! Keep it up!

I’m not really sure about that. I just recently learned about Intermarket analysis and while it seems to be interesting, a lot of time is still need for a decent understanding. I’ll stick with what I know, the COT analysis for now.

This is the big danger of using the COT - extremes can mean that price is also at an extreme, in this case Nat Gas buy is a bottom pick. Sometimes bottom picks work, sometimes not.

On the issue of bonds vs stock, back again to context. The old story of risk and investors, the correlation is seldom lock step but the thrust is our guidance, take the past week on the S&P and US10yr - it’s a risk see saw, who leads whom is not so important when you are seeking momentum.

Daily USB10yr check out the thrust in the past 5 days, or the reversal on OCT15, then compare the thrust on the S&P.

Bottom line is that I will be looking for buying opportunities on the S&P come Monday, I will also be watching the US10yr for some guidance, along with the russell2000. Breadth is reporting nothing unusual.

Some traders try to match this up to the levels, so the bodies of the candles (the daily closes) price on the bond is almost back up to the OCT high, the yellow dotted line, therefore they argue that the S&P bodies ‘should’ be back down to the lows on OCT, also the dotted line.

As you can see the S&P is well away from this, this is interpreted as bullish - maybe it is, maybe it isn’t but for me it tells me that more money has been going into bonds than has been coming out of stocks.

US10yr daily, from Oct 1

And the S&P daily, from Oct 1

BTW the moving average on both is 100 SMA - have a look where price closed yesterday.

Natural Gas Rallies on Cold Weather Forecast - WSJ I had always thought there was seasonal aspect to Natural gas rallies. Maybe its about time for some rally. Old news by the way.

Hi Peter,

once you gave me a job to remind you not to trade on Monday, in case you wanted. So now it is my job to remind you: “Peter, please do not trade on Monday!”

On the other side: “Peter, please post your analysis on Monday while I might trade your setup.” :slight_smile:

Have a great weekend, my analysis will also come.

FE

Hi guys,

one more thing about S&P. Peter usually does not mention the contract ending because he scalps on S&P which means the end of the contract does not matter for him. On the other side, Philip or me like to play it longer term. I do not know about the others. I also do not know your broker on commodities and indexes but I can always only buy the “actual 3 months” contracts and I have no other contract possibilities for commodities. This has now an important role as my contract ending is Dec. 19. which means it is the very next week. It only makes sense for all of us to open S&P if is a short-term trade.

Peter, two questions: many commodities have different contract ending. Who decides about when the contracts begin and end? If they are usually 3 months period then they could really all start like Jan. 1. and not these funny dates. The other thing: is S&P contract ending for all brokers Dec. 19. or is it broker dependent?

Thanks,
FE

You can always roll your position over. That’s what I usually do.

Hi FE,

Dates are usually followed as per the exchange relevant to the product.

Most brokers will offer a number of the futures’ products, e.g. one broker offers on S&P;

S&P daily rolling
S&P Mar daily futures (expires Dec15)
S&P 500 futures (expires Dec19)
S&P 500 futures (expires Mar20)

Spread is often, but not always, wider the further out the expiry.

You are correct about the funny dates, I wish a certain Mr Spock would take control of all the exchanges.

Here is a link ref the S&P

Now see what you have done, just spotted an interactive link on this site which is new, it says we can see the previous day’s open interest and volume, just hover over “products and trading” - a whole new avenue of research. :slight_smile:

This time you did not post such an adult content as it was playable in my country :slight_smile:

Hey guys.

Here’s my thoughts.

So I looked at natural gas monthly, weekly and lower time frames respectively.

If you look at the monthly chart we might be having uptrend on natural gas. Going down to weekly the trend is more prominent. Natural gas found a bottom on 2 Apr 2012 and has been going up since then even on higher TFs.

We’ve got a commercials buy signal this week referring to 3 year COT index, usually when this occurs its counter trend setups. In other words commercials are getting ready for a round of sell off, we’re due for a correction. If you zoom further into lower TFs daily you’ll notice that the price has been ranging. So in this case nor we’re at a bottom or going against the main trend. We’re simply trading the range. But if the price breaks out of that range we might just be at the start of an uptrend resume.

I’m not so sure how CRB is relevant to natural gas now. One thing that I’m sure of however is to “put things into context” - Peter.

Hi everyone,

Although BB already posted some of the products I watch, but I also share my thoughts on them. Here is my COT analysis for the week.

[U]Silver[/U]
Nothing special. Besides that most commodities are falling and silver is rising. This shows me that we were at an extreme.

[U]Crude oil[/U]
There is no signal at all that the falling price will reverse.

[U]Soybean[/U]
Nothing special.

[U]JPY[/U]
There was some JPY strength last week. We are not at extreme positions though and fundamentals did not get any better so we might just get a better price to sell JPY.

[U]RUB[/U]
In case you think that Crude is the biggest loser of the week, check out the Ruble. They are heads up. Nothing to report though.

[U]EUR[/U]
Alert! Ok guys, in the last weeks I wrote that we are not on an extreme position but we are getting to it. Well, we did not reach it but EUR did have a strong week. Is it a retracement or a reversal? How should I know? All I know is that my very bearish sentiment is away for a while and I was even having some short-term long EUR positions. If someone is interested in the COT charts of EUR, tell me and I shoot it up here. I also mailed a little with Rookie and all our EUR short trades are closed.

[U]NZD[/U]
Interesting situation. The NZD just does not really want to turn away from the net position extreme reading. As we know falling dairy- and commodity prices did not help much the comdolls, still we have heard a bullish statement this week from the RBNZ. NZD did not have a bad week after such a statement. IMO NZD is the best comdoll and I might want to look to buy that currency.

[I]My summary shows a relatively strong silver, weak JPY and also weak Crude Oil and Ruble. NZD looks strong and EUR made some nice gains lately so for the very least I will not short it anymore.[/I]

Soon it will be so late that I do not even have to go to sleep. Good night or good morning to everyone, depending on where you are.

FE

PS: does anyone know something about Dunstan and flows? I do not get emails from Dunstan’s thread so I think he has to be busy if he even does not continue his own thread. I think he would have said something if he did not want to contribute anymore. His orange juice is running great! I do not know though what happened to flows. He was quite active a time long and was just once away.