EUR: +754///+.86
CAD: +427///+.60
GBP: +506///+.39
NZD: -73////+.04
AUD: -163///-.09
CHF: -121///-.19
USD: -544///-.69
JPY : -786///-.93

Well this is interesting. USD and the JPY once again together, at the bottom today. It seems like they are a couple…just like the EUR and CHF used to be. There have been some new alliances formed, since “Hiroshima”.
And some divorces also. I wish I could figure out the logic.
Anybody else noticing this stuff?

0100 GMT

Mike

Ok guys the NFP report probably was better than anyone expected with all those upward revisions and very good participation rate. Seems like we do not have to worry about a reversal now.

Have a nice afternoon everyone,

FE

The thing is employment was never an issue in the past five or six months. Its growth and inflation. But let’s see how the Fed will react to these great data.

Hi Peter,

here is a question for you:

Does Dr. Copper show us the health of the US or the World economy? Would be good to know because in the present situation the two sides show us very different picture.

Thanks,
FE

Ok guys, looking at the last 5 days’ performance of the S&P sectors, it seems like the stock market is doing good as the riskier sectors are on the top and the defensive ones on the bottom.

FE

Hi FE,

Yeah the good doctor is associated with the world economic outlook in general and Chinese manufacturing in particular.

The HSBC data on Monday past at 1.30am gmt - the numbers were reasonable, copper March futures price reacted favourably immediately rising from 247.50 to 250.60 in the hour of release - now at 259.00

One other thing, the market often views the HSBC data on China more seriously that the Govt data.

Hi Team,

the COT Report might not help us much this week as the NFP report reversed many ongoing trends during the week and these results are of course not included in the report yet.

Still, here are what I found interesting:

• the Report confirmed our analysis from last weekend that [B]gold[/B] and [B]silver[/B] should fall.

• as I said during the week, I went short on [B]crude[/B] as I thought that this week we will get a sell signal. We got that signal and as it is the standing from Tuesday, actually I went short the best time. So the question is why didn’t I get a large gain??? Hmmm… my late luck follows me in many trades. I remember what Mr. Williams said: “You take sell signals in a bear market and buy signals in a bull market.” Well I took a sell signal in a bear market in crude and it did not work long. I made nice gains in a couple of hours but a retracment came. I think the next week will be important for crude. Based on the rules, if this sell signal fails that could mean that we have to start looking for buy signals as the bear market is over. I know I know this call gives some possibility to argue.

• I did not even look at [B]currencies[/B] because the USD took a card for 19 and became a 2 and the 21 jackpot killed everyone out there.

• [B]Sugar[/B] also shows some strange things but I observe it first for a couple of weeks before I make judgements there.

Have a nice weekend guys, I am not at my computer as much as usually,

FE

It may come off a bit controversial, but thats probably the most logical thinking.

Mornin’ guys!

I analyzed the report and have nothing to publish. Unfortunately, I missed the Silver trade because I did not wanted to hop in since the prices already fallen out of bed before the NFP report. It’s alright, I might get another chance.

Hey guys.
This is what I have for the week.

[B]GBP[/B] : +2.77% ///+1046
[B]CAD[/B] : +1.4% ///+1020
[B]NZD[/B] : +1.13% ///+649
[B]AUD[/B] : +.36% ///-84
[B]EUR[/B] : -.07% ///-94
[B]USD[/B] : -.44% ///-571
[B]CHF[/B] : -1.12% ///-673
[B]JPY [/B] : -1.97% ///-994

[B]Notes : [/B]
JPY is dropping. Didn’t someone call that last week? With a COT report extreme? Sell signal. Oh yeah, FE did.
GBP is on the rise. I made a lot of pips this week off them.
CAD is turning and burning, on up. They took the top position for the first 2 days of the week. (Oil)
And I’m still eyeing USD and JPY. That’s the new couple on the dance floor. I’m telling you, that’s interesting to me. When one goes up then other one is also. And bearishly speaking also. I’m wondering is this new, or have I just missed this all along? Is the market favoring this pair like the EUR and CHF before?
Well, it’s a dynamic anyway. 2 power houses in step is a bit different than say big brother little brother.

Mike

Hi Mike,

yes, I saw the JPY movement but didnt trade it as I concentrated on commodities. The strong NFP report might give a clear trend again but currencies were just too choppy for my style.

I would suggest you to observe the USD and JPY correlation first. I am not sure about that one. But you made great trades lately with GBP so I am sure you will get this one right too. What might be interesting to see is, that after NFP release JPY lost the most vs. USD (as far as I remember). For me JPY as not a power house at all if you meant to say USD and JPY as powerhouse.

Also interesting is and I never thought before your stats that USD gained so much on NFP but still finished the week in red.

Share with us your game plan for next week.

FE

Hey FE.

I’m still processing the numbers. (Actually it’s ALL of the trends that I spend time going over) . I’ll let you know what I have in mind for the week before the end of the weekend.
But THANKS for all that.

Mike

Ok I’m back again with some controversy. But I decided I will look for opportunities to sell the US Dollar starting next week. I know I’m going to buy AUDUSD, NZDUSD and USDCAD. i just don’t know when exactly as I await the short term trigger to enter those trade.

I will share when I enter those trades.

Hey guys,

Just finished updating my database. Finally getting to take full advantage of BBs awe database.

I don’t know why anyone hasn’t mentioned palladium ??
Yes palladium. There’s a buy signal. And here’s what the monthly and weekly charts looks like.

After the better than expected NFP , commodities have slid once again. I’m not too sure when this buy signal will materialize, but judging from the longer TFs it definitely is going to be good risk to reward setup with plenty of room to scale if it does play out as per plan. On daily however the metal has been ranging. I’ll be paying close attention to palladium in the coming days or weeks and see if there’ll be a chance for me to hop on. Intermarket correlation rules out this trade for the moment, but the signal aligns with the ongoing uptrend on higher TFs, but if theres a USD pullback or a pause. That just might give me an opportunity to long. The signal was confirmed by 52MA values btw.

AUD, NZD and EUR both still in the correction phase. Willco, both 3 years COT index and 6 months index at or close to 100. I’ll go along with the trend down, once the correction ends most probably with dollar pairs. These buy signals are yet to be confirmed by 52wks MA values. If the stars align I might long them against a fundamentally weaker currency.

Hi Rookie,

you are funny! You liked Philips post which concludes to me that you are on the same opinion with him to sell the USD. You did not mention though in your post anything about Philips trades and you exactly do the opposite what Philip does. BTW after such an NFP report I am definitely also only looking to buy USD.

You Palladium analysis were just great! Also the question from you was justified why no one mentioned it. I have seen it but you answered the question yourself: intermarket analysis. I just do not like the buy signal if gold and silver are losing value. I am interested though how it develops so we can see it.

Have a nice Sunday everyone,

FE

I have to second FE here. With Gold losing value, I am not comfortable taking a long position in Palladium.

Hi guys.

Ok…let’s talk.
I have looked around. Checked all my charts and tables. And this is what I’m coming up with. A lot to talk about and think about. Some definite’s and some hunches.

First I want to deal with MY most probable. Which is the weakest.
[B]JPY[/B]
Reasons:
[B]-[/B]This is the first week across the board they have dropped much. It’s the first week against all the Comms. And the second week (generally speaking) against the Majors. Just look at the weekly charts…evident.
[B]-[/B]This is the first week I see them drop on my “deflator” chart. (I don’t expect you to understand that…and I don’t want to have to explain all what goes into that…complicated) (If you want, I can though)
Before this past week they have climbed up [B]8[/B] weeks in a row on the “Deflator” table.
[B]-[/B]First time they have dropped on the med. term and short term “trend comparison” table.
[B]-[/B]Last week looked like this, in the line-up. M = 7th T = 7th W =2nd Th = 8th F = 7th
[B]-[/B]Their trends (streaks) are lengthy.
[B]-[/B]On Friday they diverged from the USD. First time. (NFP)

So, that leads me to mention my Cons about them.
Their relationship to the USD. Will they continue to follow the USD? If USD goes up, will JPY?

[B]MAJORS vs. COMMS[/B]

[B]-[/B]Last week the Comms took the week. And it was the first time since the first week of the year. In between, the Comms were nothing but in the negative. All of them 3. And all three, last week, were + %'s.
[B]-[/B]And to reiterate, the Majors took the previous 3 weeks, by very much. BUT…previous to that the Comms took 4 weeks in a row. That was the end of the year weeks. So, my point is I’m thinking of the possibility of a trend starting, as opposed to just a retracement. Are the Comms on a roll?
[B]-[/B]Last week, Tuesday, the GDT numbers came out. +9.4%. That was a very big jump in the Dairy Price Index since a long while.

[B]News events[/B]

If you look at the calender you will see the [B]AUD[/B] have the most data/events coming out. Along with [B]CNY[/B]. So basically the AUD will be in the spotlight. And CNY will kick it all off, then JPY, then AUD.

So guys…there is nothing but facts for you, above.
Now, for my own take, ([B]which is purely speculation[/B]) on a perception of my numbers. I call it the “flip/flop” theory. (cause I see this so much)
Due to the placement of the AUD on my deflator table last week, they placed 7th (in front of JPY), I think they will boost up to the top, for the end numbers of this coming week.

Ok…bottom line. This is what I’m gonna be thinking this week. I gave you facts and hunches. And the smart thing to do next (for me) is to see some confirmation of movement, this coming week.
[B]-[/B]I will be looking for a weak JPY.
[B]-[/B]Will be looking for a domination of Majors vs. Comms.
[B]-[/B]Watching the still dominate strong USD.
[B]-[/B]The relationship of the Dollar to the JPY. Will they diverge?
[B]-[/B]Watching the GBP. Been strong the last 3 weeks. I kinda think they should digress some now. (just my thinking)
[B]-[/B]Eyeing the Commodities. Oil. And the effects it has on the CAD. Gold and the effects it has on the USD. Opposite. Also the Commodity Currencies. Cause maybe it was the whole Oil upward movement last week that boosted up the Comms to the top. And remembering that the Asian Currencies are overvalued, still, according to the big heads.

One thing FE…I’ve been realizing that you must have been learning lately lessons on the difference between a retracement and a reversal. (In fact, whoever [B]ISN’T[/B] must not be in the game)
But I want you to know that I do understand that. That’s why I feel it is important to track trends. Because the nature of a trend consists of much movement in a particular direction to begin with. So, things have already progressed much to a point in order to be called a trend, to start with. That is quite different than seeing some pips be boosted up for a short period of time. Days even.
So, for instance, when I look at what’s happening with the JPY, I don’t see a retracement, I see a reversal.
[B]Surely I can be wrong about that.[/B] But, that’s just what I see, by the numbers.
I do think about that FE, on a daily basis.

And another thing I’ve been learning much in my trading is this. I need to not only look at who’s strong, but who’s going weak also. I’m trying to not be so short sighted and see what everyone’s doing. All to come down to the point of taking the best trade. …OK…more like…not to trade across the board. That was a little extreme, I admit. But I’m trying a happy medium now. If someone is demonstrating strength, or weakness across the board, then I will still go with multiple trades, but being choosy about it. Like with the GBP this past week. Was so awesome to see them take out the USD, and JPY!

Let the games begin.

Talk to me!

Mike

I’d say that Jpy will take it’s role as risk advisor rather seriously next week.

FE posted an image of the sectors in the S&P which indicated a risk on sentiment, nothing much has changed over the weekend.

Guys, you know how I sometimes recount little market stories, usually from the old days.

This one I had decided not to post, after some thought I figured that since it tells of another person’s misfortune it was not to be re-told.

Then, on another thread, a well known retired economist’s view of the market was mentioned, and the story was again in my mind.

There was a well known trader from Canada who specialized in Nat Gas, he worked for a hedge fund, most traders in the commodities sector knew of him in the 2000’s - he was Mr Nat Gas, if you were aware of his trades then just follow him and you make money.

He was termed a “trading superstar”, and yes, he was good, over 2 Billion to the good.

Then in 06 this trader, based on weather forecasts and his own analysis, went short the near term contracts (which were summer and autumn) and long on the winter contracts.

The market disagreed with the analysis and the trade went under water in August - the trader, again based on his experience and analysis, averaged down, he had been here before.

By Sept he had lost over 6 billion, he was out, his fund sold out for buttons to JP Mprgan, the brokers in the transaction. JP Morgan held the buttons trade and shortly after made a fortune, the trader was right after all.

This trader, though experienced (he was mid 30’s) had allowed one mistake to enter his trading.

I truly believe that the longer we are in the market the more easy it is to succumb to this error, the more we learn, the more often we get it right, the more we analyse, the more we read, the smarter we get - then this one error becomes more and more likely.

It’s a four letter word - bias :slight_smile:

Hey guys,

Like what Peter said, look out for some risk on sentiment Mike. And be wary of risk on when playing with yen shorts, sometimes yen soars way up high during one of these risk on seasons that it hits the widest SLs even if you managed to survive the first few days I’m thinking you want to hold it long term ? , especially these days where uncertainty is the name of the game.

Great story Peter ! Hmm… how long have you been in the business ? :wink:
I have to agree with that, experience does play a crucial role in this business. The longer you stay the better chances, the better you become. These days Ive been noticing our FE is getting far ahead, so is Mike I’m able to say this because we’ve come along on this journey almost from the very beginning. And my confusion is fading away with time. Im gaining confidence in my approach well thanks to FE as we prefer similar way of trading. Hang in there guys ! :51::smiley: