COT Report Analysis - a thread on market sentiment

Thank you [B]Peter[/B] for taking the time to explain you viewpoint on WillSpread. Although I can’t quite grasp your trading method (probably because it is based on years of experience), it is always insightful to hear your opinion.

Daily is 15min delayed from current time from the S&P (NY) open.

It is an excellent tool for comparison purposes, for live data on a specific sector then I switch to tradingview, especially if there seems to be a move in progress.

A live example, I see financials in negative territory, then I see healthcare in positive territory by the same amount as per your image.

Then I switch to this section of the same site and compare the volumes:

I note volume twice as high in financials … hmm then I have to investigate a little more, first glance is saying a pull back because financials are offensive, health defensive, so then to work in tradingview.

So XLF opened gap down with reasonable volume, TLT opened gap up, nothing great in volume, SPY volume falling, price stalled.

USD/JPY - w/s on usdx suggesting soon a buy, s&p , w/s on 10yr suggesting a sell. Gold w/s on usdx saying buy.

The only thing that is causing a hold is that to sell the s&p right now is against the trend and the fact that w/s , based on the usdx, is saying to wait.

Also just checked the news, the oil report is causing a jump in USO with good volume, also lifting XLE, so that is risk on news, further reason not to go short.

Hey guys.
Monday’s results.

GBP: +980///+6.0%
NZD: +193///+3.04%
JPY : +203///+1.9%
USD: +169///+1.9%
EUR: -26///// -.30%
CAD: -203/// -1.01%
AUD: -355/// -2.13%
CHF: -951/// -9.4%

Those are total pips added against all////total % added up against all.
I’m preferring total percentages. Cause if I add up all the pips, then I should %'s also. Better gauge. It’s all relative.

So…what happened today, having the months end scenario in mind. (I will keep this a subject this week)
Majors edged out Comms by .1%
It’s Monday. The market just gets rolling. The GBP dominated the first day, across the board.
The CHF back on down! Across the board.
The NZD was up against everyone EXCEPT the Pound. And only 20 pips on the USD.
But the rest of the Comms were down. AUD was up only against the CHF. CAD down on all except CHF and only up 9 pips against the AUD. Even against the EUR. (0 pips)
The JPY looked strong, only down against the GBP and NZD.

So, discounting the correction on Friday, we have the NZD picking up where they left off. Same with the Pound. Same with the CHF. And the price of Oil, I believe, is turning back around and heading south (so there goes CAD).
The USD is slowly getting back on it’s feet. We’ll have to see how all the speeches affect things.

Mike

Good morning team! :44:

Well well well…After reading and looking around and seeing what happened overnight, Asian session, I’m happy! Finally the all mighty NZD has fallen. And it’s because of the inflation growth outlook figures that came out. That puts my NZD/USD trade up, finally. Only 40 some pips. But take a look at the gap that happened a couple weeks ago. It’s being filled. (I was hoping it would) So, if I take profit right at the end of the beginning of the gap it will come out to be +57 pips.
Hold up…I just checked…and that gap was filled, to the pip, then retraced back up some. Well, I got some thinking to do.

My only other trade open, which is a long term trade, is the GBP/NZD. And yes, going north. I’m up just about 300 pips. But I don’t have much size on that one. Am almost forgetting about that because of the “long term” part. But looking good!!

I hate to bring it up, but FE…the NZD is a player just as much as any of them. (USD)
(SORRY)

Well, we have some serious speeches coming today, US session, for the USD and EUR.
I got to think about what I’m gonna do.

Talk to ya later.

Mike

The USD isn’t looking bad.
How about a look. 1 hr lines from the open.

I look at the %'s, on the right. Only down against the GBP. Look at the 0% line.

One more time guys.

I took profit. NZD/USD for +53.1 pips.
After much contemplating, I’m gonna sit out for the rest of the day. I only need a few more pips (18) for my monthly goal, and I think there will be a better opportunity later on this week. It’s the months end.
Also hoping to also get a head start on next months goal.

Talk to ya later.

Mike

Great job Mike, keep the pips raining!
How is everyone doing with their trading so far? I miss discussing that. I’m long NZDUSD, only trade, down 70 pips so far (give me my money back rookie :P)

Sorry Pal, but already put it in a fixed deposit account. Can’t really do anything now. phew relieved

Just a quick note in how w/s is a useful tool in giving a heads up.

Tonight risk is very much on as far as stocks are concerned.

But having w/s on alerts me to the divergence in the 10yr, I notice that it is not following price direction - this causes me to go and check bond prices - sure enough, now I have to check the why.

Hi Philip,

Rookie raised lately the point we dont discuss the past weeks results and you raised now the point for missing on trades. It is always good to be reminded what we forget to do! Thanks for that.

I have a less time so I concentrate only on the pairs we discuss on the weekend. Now this was 5-6 commodities and currencies altogether. Besides those, I always pay attention on oil, gold and S&P. I reduced even those 5-6 setups to 3 pairs for market open. I still check all markets every day to see what is happening but want to concentrate only a few things. The ones I think I have the most edge.

So at this moment I am shutting down many trades with small profits and try to reduce my portfolio to NZD/CHF. That is my long term interest. Rollover is coming every day, trade is saved after scaled in and fundamentals do line up to the upside I believe. We will see.

Peter, what was your research in the end? Did you find the “why”? Are you in any currency trades?

All the best,
FE

Hey Team.

Tuesday’s results.

CAD: +498///+4.27
AUD: +311///+2.74
CHF: +31////+.26
EUR: -24////-.18
JPY : -38////-.34
GBP: -58///-.36
USD: -85///-.62
NZD: -635///-5.77

Comms +1.24%

Well, what happened today. The NZD dropped out of the sky during their session. USD didn’t fare too well with their news. They dropped quite many pips across the board, but did rebound some. CAD just sky rocketed because of their speech. That was impressive…like at least a hundred pips across the board at the time. I don’t know how the AUD climbed up (I’m sure they were a tail to something).

So, let’s split the field. Comms were over the Majors. Lead by CAD and AUD. Majors had no front runner. But the CHF was strong enough to bring things back to positive. I did see a real boost today from the JPY. They flexed some muscle alright. So, those minus’s for the Majors look worse than they really are. A lot has happened today, through all 3 sessions.

It’s hard to say so far this week. A lot of flip flopping. AUD, CAD weak yesterday, today strong. NZD strong to weak. The CHF weak to strong. GBP from strong to weak. USD, JPY holding their own.
We need to see what happens on Wed., for any kind of unbalance. For months end play, and Comms/Major tilt. As I see it now, no one’s really running away with it.

Any comments?

Mike

Hey guys.

Mike, HSBC PMI came out better than expected 50.1 v 49.5.
RBA continues to talk down the AUD, housing sector bubble remains a concern not to cut rates so soon after February’s cut. My best bet is neutral if not bearish.

For CAD, the data came out mixed. I think its all about oil price now for CAD. I hear that OPEC member states are discussing the possibility of an emergency meeting if oil price continues to decline. That might have had an effect on CAD coming up at top.

All the while UUP is in standstill mode. No volume. No movement almost.

GBP has been trending higher against many comms, core inflation has been rising steady for the 3rd consecutive readings (ignores food & energy, and used to predict headline inflation)

NZD isn’t doing all that bad, as far as I can see is trending up against JPY, CHF and some others. Could be that correction is still in progress haven’t read anything that suggests why it should go down, except for its central bank. But there’s room for speculation when Fonterra might increase their payout from 4.50 to 4.80. I think the final results will be out by today or it already did yesterday. So far no update.

Hi Rookie and Mike,

I agree what is written by both of you. I cannot react much on Mike as he tells the facts with the numbers.

Rookie gets the big picture great I think in all currencies. If I might add something, it is my opinion on Crude. If I might, I rather share my conversation with Forex Gump where I discuss my view about Crude Oil. I do not want to write down everything here, too. I hope it is ok:

2 Market-Moving Events Not in Your Forex Calendar

Have a great trading day and many pips,

FE

Guys, our famous thread is mentioned again: CFTC COT Forex Positioning Update: Are Dollar Trends Exhausted? So I start to share some thoughts there :slight_smile:

Sweet! I for one, will not speculate on the fall of the Dollar.

I will hahahaha :smiley:
I think we will have a multi-month correction/consolidation in the USD in 2015. It will be a historic opportunity to buy it though.

Yeah, I’m short cable - and long s&p

The why is still undecided, seems the bond market is betting on a stall on rate rise. The divergence last night was the heads up on the small pull back that occurred after my post.

Price fell back to 2110.5 on Oanda, the exact high of last Friday, then it continued up to make a new high, the divergence was already rectified , w/s was coming from underneath indicating enough momentum to continue up on S&P.

A chart tells a thousand words, I’ll post it up, the follow on from last night’s divergence that is.

Current 15min chart S&P

The yellow trend line on yesterday’s price when there was divergence on w/s.

Two purple down trend lines showing price after I noticed the div., the lines end at the open.

Purple up trend line on w/s, also ending at the open, the red horiz line is Friday’s (and the week’s high).

That purple up trend line is depicting the fact that w/s was coming from below whilst price was coming down, indicating to me that momentum was building, the obvious target was Friday’s high.

Could price have gone even lower? - sure it could, we are in a probability game.

Remember FE the ‘V’ often happens in the early part after the opening :slight_smile:

BTW, current action has undone all of the above, back to the 50sma or the red line - will wait before going in again, or is it the indecision on the why? …