COT Report Analysis - a thread on market sentiment

Hey guys!

Remember when I told you about my intentions of incorporating LW’s unique COT Index settings in my week-to-week analysis? I postponed it long enough, so let me present to you the brand new COT Index, now with advanced variables!

According to LW, the required hedging time for Commercials vary because of the nature of the products they are dealing with. I won’t go into details, if you wish to know more about it though, feel free to post and I’ll elaborate.

From now on, my charts will look like this

Blue Line: Traditional COT Index (3 years)
Red Line: Unique settings

I’ll look for opportunities to hop on an established trend using the unique COT Index.

Corn & Wheat: Still oversold. I wont go long again as I burned myself already.
Crude Oil: Overbought, according to the unique COT Index. I’ll probably short the instrument next week.
Natural Gas: Oversold. The rally is currently underway.

Dollar Index
I want to share with you the COT chart, as it is extremely interesting.

See how the unique index tells us to buy, while the traditional COT index wants us to short?

I might post Currencies tomorrow but I’m really tired now.

Hi BB,

thanks a lot for the very nice analysis. Can you please tell once more what is the difference between the Unique settings and the the Traditional Index? I only used the second one.

I like a lot your analysis. Only Nat Gas is what I see differently. I do not spot such rallies there :slight_smile:

I am interested to see your findings,
FE

Nice work BB,

One last post before mia - check yesterday’s pmi - if you want a leading indicator of sentiment this is the one, then check the trend in the pmi - compare the numbers since Jan.

Have a read at the notes in the attached, also take on board that pmi and business confidence are regarded as one and the same.

United States ISM Purchasing Managers Index (PMI) | 1948-2015 | Data

Hi Peter,

I remember you posted this indicator more times. It seems like you knew what is coming. Do you follow this pmi tendency also for the other 7 economies or only for the USD?

Take care,
FE

Well, it is based on the different hedging needs. Evidently, a Commercial entity which consumes Sugar will need a much shorter hedging time frame than one which deals in Gold.

LW used a MA to determine the optimal setting for the COT Index. I’ll send you the pdf if you wish to study it.

Hi BB,

this analysis looks very interesting to me, I would like to analyse it. It would be nice if you sent it to me in email. Thanks a lot, great that you write about it as I never heard it before. As I see LW somehow made different settings for every instrument which means you use I guess different formula for every market. I want to first see though how it works as these formulas and settings can change with the time of course. Still it looks very interesting.

Is it written in his book? Somehow I do not remember it. Many of your other studies are those which I remember but did not do on my own, but this one I do not even remember.

FE

The analysis worries me a little bit as well. We know in the basics that the commercials are always on the opposite side of amateur traders. So if the new settings in USD show an opposite signal to commercials, that means its on the side of regular traders. Which I learned we don’t want to be on, what am I missing?

That is not true. Funds are taking the other side of the Commercials’ hedge. Nonreportables are a mix of small Commercials/Funds/retail traders.

New settings are merely using a new (shorter) variable compared to the 3 years I have used until now.

Hi Peter,

I see a couple of short pound setups, I know that the poll is going to be out on May 7th. Whats your view on this, would you trade pound at all ahead of the results ?

I’m planning to take a short term trade, I’ll probably hold it for a day at the longest.

I wasn’t questioning the new method buddy :slight_smile: I was just requesting an in-depth calculationof it because it seemed contradictory only in USD, not the rest.

Hi Rookie,

Just saw this, not sure why to short GBP, the event risk re election is reasonably low, Eur/Gbp may be a driver on some Gbp selling, maybe there is something on charts, not sure about that since it’s not my area.

Have just been concentrating on Eur/Usd of late, just buying Eur and exiting, trying to get a position going but not easy - too much fear on the Greek thing.

If it’s a short term trade just look at the session highs and lows, especially Asian on Tue, if you are negative then maybe sell the break of the AS low during London, if positive then the reverse, if aggressive then use the mid point - just a thought :slight_smile:

Hi Peter,

I’ve tried going short on GBPJPY yesterday during London on the breakout but was unaware that it was a holiday liquidity was thin didn’t move much I got out. CAD was relatively strong, I could have gone short with GBPCAD instead on the Asian session high as it was already reversed to the down on daily. I guess I’ll wait until the polling is over. Good advice by the way I’ve been doing just that !

I know you don’t trade crosses but have you checked EUR crosses, EURCAD,EURNZD,EURAUD they all moved quite a bit last week.

By the way is it true that RBA statement leaked prior the official announcement ? AUD went up across the board prior the announcement and came crashing down right afterwards. I couldn’t keep up with the algos, but I sure will give it a try next time :slight_smile:

LW recommends 13 weeks variable for the Dollar Index, so that’s what I used.

Eur/Usd - Monday low 1120, this morning Asian mid 1118 - Today’s NY open and kick off point for buy - 1120 - maximum possible 100 pips.

See how I used the session levels, if positive and aggressive then set the order at the Tue mid Asian, if not so aggressive then set the order for the break of the Asian high (1150)

Just checked Gbp/Usd same story there, mid Asian 5120 - pip win would be also similar, i.e 100 on the aggressive mid session order, 70 on the break of the session high.

I’m still positive Eur and consequently I would not want to sell GBP (but that’s just me)

Today’s mid Asian Eur/Usd - 1218 , less aggressive entry would be on break of Asian high at 1264

Final PMI positive - price continued to fall - to the mid Asian - appartently there were buy orders there.

Awesome analysis Peter. It seems like your earlier thiking on buying the EUR worked out and we did experience a reversal we can say. So now I would ask everyone the question vs. which currencies do you guys go lon with EUR? We analysed long enough in the thread to find the weakest one out there. At the moment NZD does not look good and USD seems also quite weak.

FE

So I want to tackle that if I may because these sort of questions are sort of the most important ones I consider related to trading.
When I want to know how to trade at the moment, I usually like to know which phase are we in long term so that I reflected on my trading in the short term.

I want to give an example with the Euro and Oil because they relate a lot to my analysis on usd.

So here we have a chart of the EURUSD on the weekly. We see that the 20 EMA (yellow) has crossed below the 50 EMA (blue). This tells me that the trend is bearish.
What I learned (similar in a bit to Elliot Wave Theory) is price moves in one direction, retraces then extends further in the direction of the initial move.
My definition of a move in one direction, is one that leads to the crossing of the 20 EMA either above or below the 50 EMA. When 20 moves below the 50, the move is bearish and vice versa. So here the move is bearish.

Much like Elliot Wave, the next step is for price to retrace. How I do this, is wait for stochastic to move from oversold to overbought. Once stochastic reaches overbought, the retracement is near the end. We can see this is the stage we are in with EURUSD.

Once the stochastic crosses to the downside, The continuation move downwards is set to continue. This is what sets my analysis apart from any other, I can define a rather accurate area for the end of retracement. Most systems look for the break of the initial low instead.

All this I have discussed earlier and you guys know it. Its conclusion is that EURUSD is in a retracement and we should look to sell it soon.

What I want to add here today is deciding which pair is likely to see the strongest move, this is where my use of RSI comes in.

This is a very interesting finding to me. When observing the retracement, I look at the level of the RSI and divided to four important zones: 1) between 33.3 and 40. 2) Between 40 and 50. 3) Between 50 and 60. 4) Between 60 and 66.6.

In a short, the lower the level the stronger the move. In a long, the higher the level the stronger the move. That sounds very simple. Here is where it get’s interesting, what the four zones mean.

In a short, when stochastic reaches overbought, crosses downwards and the RSI is between 33.3 and 40: We have a very strong and rapid move coming. Usually extending to at least 2.618 of the original move.

If RSI is between 40-50: We have a strong move coming, but not as rapid as zone one. For example usually reaching an extension of 127.2-161.8.

If RSI between 50-60: We have a weak move that is likely to go sideways, we will be lucky if we reach the original low.

If RSi is between 60-66 (and higher even): The pair has reversed and we are likely to see the 20 EMA cross above the 50 EMA in the future.

Applying this to EURUSD, the value is currently 46.8. This means if EURUSD stochastic crosses lower next week withan RSI between 40 and 50, we will see a good move downwards that will not reach parity but break it as well.

BEAR IN MIND THIS IS AN ASSUMPTION, STOCHASTIC HASN’T CROSSED BELOW YET.

I will not share an image of Oil to keep the post shorter but I advise you to check it out. The stochastic has crossed downwards from an overbought position, starting next week we will see good shorting opportunities. The RSI is at 51.8 meaning we are at zone 3, price will likely go sideways and may be reach the low of $42.
Of course this depends on what happens from now to the end of the week.

Hi Philip,

you made a great post and opened a great discussion. Interesting is your chart because I used the same weekly chart to decide the downtrend is over. The difference is you used it for a 20 and 50 EMA, I used a 5 and 10 SMA. At the same time COT was on an extreme net position reading which definitely help the theory it is not a retracement but a reversal. On the daily TF we also so higher highs and higher lows were not broken. Discussing the direction of the trend is important because as you said we only trade in that direction. The only problem is I see an uptrend with my system and you see a downtrend with yours :slight_smile:

And we look now on your system, which I have to admit works very nicely and you are right we discussed it and I looked already more time in your great thread. There is one thing to say though. If you are right and sell when Stoch crosses to the downside then you will make a nice gain with a sell position, just like you did earlier. However once, your trade will fail. This one time is the very end of the trend when you do not look for sell positions anymore but for the buy signals. I am not a future teller but I think we might be there, at least my system said to me to buy EUR/USD.

The second part of your post looks very interesting as I haven´t read that somewhere else. I checked all EUR moves and came up to share my risk for buying EUR vs. 3 currencies: USD, NZD and GBP. I would be interested in your evaluation. Put it on the side please that you do not believe in this trade. I understand that. I only want to see if you were forced to buy EUR vs. 3 of the 7 currencies, which currencies would you pick. I am interested to know if our systems would come up with the same 3 or not.

Thanks for the great post again,
FE

It will sound funny to you, but I agree to you that we should buy the Euro :smiley:
The thing is, I define a reversal as making a new high. Applying that to Euro, when I will say Euro is reversing I mean it will go on an upward move that eventually breaks the 1.40. Or at least have the 20 EMA on the weekly move above the50 EMA. If it just touches the 1.40 and moves down again I consider this a sideway move.
If it goes up a bit then crashes and breaks the 1.048 level to the downside I would say we are in a retracement.

[B]I think we are in the third option, EURUSD will rise but to a level below 1.4. This is a retracement.[/B]

Now we established that for me to say the trend is bearish (a break of 1.048), the RSI reading should be at least below 50. So all I wait to see now is EURUSD overbought on the stochastic, cross below then I check the level of RSI to determine if its a retracement or a reversal. If RSI will be above 60 we have a reversal, if below that we will have a continuation to the downside with varied strength depending on the zone of the RSI. So I have to wait and see.
[B]This is a general picture.[/B]

Now moving to the shorter time frame, we actually agree. Euro is bullish against every currency. It even switched upwards in EURUSD on the daily for the first time since the May 2014 shocker. I don’t deny its strength and agree with you. In fact my system on the lower time frame has given buy signals against all currencies and all very profitable. All I was saying was that I will wait on the sidelines during that move.

As a result, I just want to say that I believe in those trades. They will work. I just would like to wait for the opposite signals to occur. Here are the three pairs you mentioned.

[B]EURUSD (4h chart):[/B] Buy signal given on May 5 with RSI at 47. This indicates a not-so strong move that would be nice if it gets to the 100 retracement to 127.2 retracement, which is 1.12892 and 1.14598. I don’t expect EURUSD to go above that at the moment.

Of course if stochastic goes to oversold again and crosses up and the RSI gives me a 60 reading for example, I’ll adjust my position and say that it can reach even higher. Its a continuous process.
But as things stand, a close below 1.12892 on the 4hr chart would have me close my position. unless the close coincided with a stochastic being oversold and RSI above 50.

[B]EURNZD:[/B] An absolute blockbuster move expected on the 4HR. A buy signal was given on April 28 with an RSI of 58.7. We have quite a strong move ahead.
The pair retraced and gave another buy signal on May 7, this time the RSI was at 65 and I expect a very strong rapid move in EURNZD. This move could go as high as the 200 extension which comes at 1.563.

Again, I would readjust my target with every pullback but there is plenty of room to go with that one.

EURGBP is yet to give a buy signal on the 4 hr as stochastic is yet to get to oversold. Using the 1 hr a buy signal took place on April 30 with an RSI of 58. This is a strong move. The last pullback was on May 6 and the RSI was at 64. Another blockbuster move ahead with at least an extension of 200, which would bring a target of 0.752 at least.

Of course projections change with every pullback. But this is where we stand on those pairs.

Hi Philip,

if someone knows how to drive me crazy, you definitely can get that reward :-)))))

You write a complete analysis about the bearishness of EUR/USD, I write an analysis that for me it is bullish and then you write me that actually you are also bullish at this moment :-)))

So the difference is the TF. You are looking at the 1.4000 level, which is only shown on the monthly chart. If this is true then please remember 99% of the people on these forums do not talk about the monthly charts :slight_smile: Which does not mean of course anything, but it can happen that a 1.2500 EUR/USD is for me a strong uptrend that might come to an end soon, for you it is only a large retracement.

What happens is that we are actually in the same trades, but I have the feeling you do the opposite often then what you say. If you say EUR/USD is in a downtrend based on the monthly chart then please get my attention on the monthly chart because I do not come to think on that on my own :slight_smile:

I wish you good trading and good analysis further on,
FE