Craziest timings

Was about to trade oil this morning. I work nights so that meant I woke myself up for this. Was all ready to pounce.

Just before the report came out, my internet data finished and I instantly lost all connection. The process to get back on took 10 minutes and by then the big move already happened.

I am in Canada right now.

Otherwise I trade from my home in rural Indonesia, where power cuts are pretty frequent. A little scary. I sometimes think I should turn on my generator just for a trading session. I look out the window and see dark clouds forming every afternoon in the mountain and figure, maybe we lose power soon. A little flash of lightning or distant sound of thunder. Sometimes that’s all it takes!

Lesson learned: do not neglect the basics of having a proper internet connection. I try to block out the disappointment and go back to sleep.

Wow, something I take for granted, not having to worry about power outages or data running out. You trading on a capped mobile internet connection?

Yeah i have a 15gb mobile plan, which proves to not be enough. Just upgraded to 20gb a month. My job to not run out mid-trade. Otherwise in Indo I have limitless wifi but prone to outages…generator on standby!

I’m imagine charting sucks up that bandwidth pretty easily. Especially if you’re on for hours at a time.

Hmm I wonder

These happen. I solved the issue by using my phone to trade in such emergencies.

Salam bro, luar jawa skrg udah mendingan bro soal lampu matix,
G tau daera papua atau kep.maluku

Aq skrg krja d ntt jrg lmpu mati, pling lama 1 /2 jam

1 Like

Yes…in this case, my home is in a tall palm plantation where signal is barely existent. So to use my phone I would have to race to the nearby village closer to the tower.

Ah, that situation had not occurred to me and it should have. My apologies.

And when you’re resting?

What do you mean?

I think they mean that such a rush to get a signal sounds very physically tiring. Does it happen often?

During rainy season yes. I have a generator. So in a trade emergency, I would say the process of setting it up and turning it on, wifi turned back on takes about 3 minutes. If im scalping that is! Swing trades just fine, can wait. Without wifi and generator failure would be when I need to reach the village.

An extreme example: Thunder storm, pouring rain, entered a big scalp trade and power goes out. Laptop in waterproof bag, I race to the convenience store in the village, to catch signal and fix trade. Village is 4 minutes away so not bad, but not an ideal operation. Must insure generator works properly and is on standby.

1 Like

That is a completely different way of life than what I do (I live in a big city) and it is amazing to learn all that. Thank you so much for sharing this!

Right on…i trade from every imaginable place because of the traveling. But i am learning to be more selective so scalping from some airport bathroom should happen less and less hhaha.
Good news today: my internet is taken care of (least i can do) and i profited from the same oil report, the way i intended to.

Really i just want a nice little office or room to do my thing cleanly. So because of my all over the place status, i must be organized and know what i want, and block out noise even more. Sometimes im comfy and nicely setup, sometimes it’s ridiculous. Must have solid plan. Swing trades are great but must be monitored.

What upsides do you think that sort of trading has?

Well like mentioned there is an adjustment going on. I definitely despise trying trading while busy with other things, not sustainable. My approach is good to me, but must prioritize schedules for family, travels and trading choices

1 Like

I think most traders feel the same way, even when they don’t have to travel. We all like to trade in peace and quiet but it’s not always possible.

1 Like