Create JPY/GBP Synthetic Currency Pair

Hi,

I would like to trade a synthetic pair: JPY/GBP but I couldnt do that with my current broker IG.

Is there any (good) broker that will allow JPY/something and something/GBP in order to create JPY/GBP. I would also be happy with:

JPY/USD
CHF/USD
CAD/USD
USD/GBP
USD/EUR
JPY/EUR
GBP/EUR
USD/AUD
JPY/AUD

Could not create these using IG. I also was thinking maybe using some advanced method of synthetic trading adding more currencies but not sure on how to do that. Any help would be appreciated.

I think I figured it out: In order to have JPY/GBP I have to SELL USD/JPY and SELL GBP/USD. Am I right on this?

In practice that’s probably close enough, though its never an exact match. It looks to me like JPY is very rarely used as a base currency in forex, though I have seen charts for JPY/SGD, JPY/TRY and JPY/ZAR, so if you can’t short where JPY is the counter currency but want to be long JPY, your options are limited. Of course, if you trade 2 pairs to get the desired result your costs and risk will be that much higher.

The question is though,why would you want to be long JPY?

Hi Tommor,

I’m experimenting with options and nadex spreads and would like a complete reversal of the gbp/jpy currency pair. The only way I can think of is to create a synthetic pair. It looks like its working but I’m confused on how many lots to buy/sell in order to synchronize the two pairs. Please let me know if you have any ideas on that.

I can’t help as I use a spread-betting account (legal here in the UK) so I can go long or short on any pair. But it doesn’t involve lots in any way.

I do have to say I don’t see this as a great idea. Do you have really excellent reasons for doing this? What makes you want to be long JPY?