Crude Oil and oil markets

Regarding the US-China trade wars (beginning to sound like a movie series!), I just heard on our national news that sales of Huawei mobiles has kind of hit a brick wall here and dropped by 50% already and falling.

Now that is of no significance in gross terms from such a tiny country, but I think it is a very relevant sign from the perspective of how wide, fast and deep the impact is spreading if other countries are experiencing the same…

These are big guns being fired now and with real shells. The war of rhetoric has moved on to far more serious tactics.

The tendency is that people tend to only look at these things from the Chinese point of view as the target and victim, but the reality is that when trade is suspended both the supplier and the buyer suffer. If a company as big as Huawei cannot buy US technology then the tech seller suffers as well.

And like we have seen with the ARMS company in the UK, the companies involved in these issues at these levels are multinational in nature and the impact is truly wide and globally felt - I am seriously bothered where we are going with all this. One can only talk up the markets for so long before the reality bites.

1 Like

ARMS. That was the chip maker I couldn’t think of this morning when posting my “doom and gloom” post.

Vodafone now also involved I hear.

A very true statement. Then again: it’s really frightening how a single Tweet from your’s truly could turn these things around on a dime. You know: his claim to fame is as a businessman. What do you think it would be worth to the likes of us (you and me) if he was your uncle or something and told you that he was about to send a Tweet out… You do know of course that they caught up with a lot of terrorist cells and enablers just after 911 by scrutinizing huge short bets on the Dow just before the event…

Then again: I know I tend to look at these things in the short term and in isolation and with blinkers on. Other than oil these movements are not that radical. The Dow, for example, has actually dropped less today than on at least two other days in the past week or two (give or take anyway). Methinks a Tweet may be coming before the open tomorrow!!! LOL!!!

I bet you Bloomberg is having a field day today. I can just hear it now. Taking everything I have to NOT tune in to listen or watch. Best lesson I’ve ever learned i.e. it’s probably been the single biggest cause of my mistakes being influenced by sentiment and opinions being broadcast. They actually do it to themselves.

Ahem. What was I saying about Australia again??? LOL!!!

No, I didn’t know that! interesting! No, I’ll change that…its disgusting! To think that people could be aware of such plans and even try to take financial advantage of it! It is no lie that the most cruel and most dangerous species on this planet is humans…

That is true. At this stage it is only a hint of possible structural cracks appearing. It will take a while for the effects to appear in data releases. But that starts to appear and the market is already in a fragile and suspicious state then we have a recipe for some bad moves southwards - especially when so many are long this market.

But I don’t want to be a total pessimist. I just think that you cannot have the world’s two largest economies hacking each other with baseball bats without anyone getting hurt…

Probably! I had to go out both this morning and this evening for a few hours and I haven’t really caught up with anything on the news front. I dare say the oil drop was partly attributed to, and aggravated by, automated selling being triggered!

2-1 at the end of the 1st period - what a match! talk about the fast and furious! Sweden is such a good team (unfortunately) - but the Finns are probably the most stubborn of people and nothing is certain til the final whistle blows! :slight_smile:

Lovely post as always.

I’d love to chat footie with you but I fear I’m rather inept when it comes to sports. Musician here. Usually sums it up for most. Some of the best music (my genre anyway) from Finland that’s for sure.

Well I’m out Australia and Gold. Maybe I can have KFC again tomorrow night!!! LOL!!! Just thought: my system is going to signal me to TP on Gold tonight anyway and it’s traded W-A-Y- past R3 already. Australia right on S3 right now so what the hell. Hogs margin and not really my favorite index i.e. lacks in lustre. Suppose I should be posting this on my thread instead of sullying yours with my war stories. Just so damn lonely over that side!!! LOL!!!

Mind you though: been meaning to ask you if you notice the number of views that your thread gets just by the way??? Must be your personal magnetism and insights. Could also be the thread title though!!! LOL!!!

P.S.

Jeepers. I don’t believe it. Australia has all but retraced to S2. Like it was just waiting for me to TP before retracing. How’s that!!! Now any trader worth his salt would have taken profit and gone long!!! LOL!!!

Yeh. Luck. Not skill. I’m aware.

Don’t believe it. Dow shot up and just at its 200-day SMA again.

Ice hockey. :+1::blush: (3-4 at end of 2nd period, 1 period still to go!)

What do you play? What is your choice in music?

Have to control your winnings - bad for the waistline! :scream:

I take those numbers with a big pinch of salt! I think it just slowly builds up from people looking at all the “latest” postings as a routine - doesn’t mean anyone really puts any value on it. I doubt there are many, if any, oil traders on BP - but days like today should encourage greater interest!

I try to keep this thread as being about oil in general (and other things). I don’t want to get into people coming here just looking for tips and getting worked up if and when they don’t work out (which they probably wouldn’t)! there are enough of those types of threads and journals here aready :slight_smile:

I admire the way you can follow many different markets, I find it hard to even manage one! :smiley:

I rest my case!!! LOL!!!

Guitar, keyboards. Hard Rock. Metal. Oh. And classical piano (trained). How’s that for a spread (no pun intended)!!! LOL!!!

Nah. Seriously a good thread.

Nothing to admire. It’s called the shotgun approach!!! Works simply on the premise that SOMETHING will be in a profit SOMETIME (and hopefully overall).

Oh well. It’s been a jolly day.

Time to start scaling-in on stuff. Spoiled for choice tonight!!! LOL!!! Who knows. At this rate maybe a braai (barbeque) and beers tomorrow instead!!! LOL!!! On the other hand if we called this right: be buying cheap Vodka comes Saturday!!! LOL!!!

This is the time of day when adrenaline-charged novices who have made a bundle earlier on don’t know when it is time to quit while ahead and give a good portion of the day’s work back to the market!

Been there, done that! :joy:

1 Like

And Finland wins 5-4 !!! Mahtavaa!! On to the semi-finals.

What an end to a great day! :joy:

Now to catch up on some oil news!

1 Like

All I can say is MT4 is pure BS and MT5 isn’t any better.

Make of this what you will but I’m still awake (usually happens when I’ve napped too late in the afternoon) and there’s buying in the stock index futures.

1 Like

Yesterday’s sell-off in the oil and equities markets was a significant event.

It was not caused by any new factor entering the global equations, rather it was the result of a major shift in perception concerning how long the US-China trade wars will continue – and how bitter they are going to become.

What was previously assumed to be a short term problem is suddenly now being seen as an indefinite, growth-sapping global economic warfare, which is fast sucking all other countries into its slipstream.

It was not so long ago that we were hearing how negotiations were going well and that a deal was on the radar. The markets were then clearly still anticipating an eventual long term continuation of the good news in spite of some inevitable near-term bruises and grazes here and there such as the US agricultural industry and car sales in China, etc.

But then it all began to fall apart:

• The US accused the Chinese of reneging on various parts of the forthcoming deal that had apparently already been agreed. The Chinese denied this
  • The US imposed large additional tariffs on Chinese imports
  • China retaliated with more tariffs on US imports starting June 1
  • US threatened even more tariffs covering almost all Chinese imports
  • US starts to target Chinese companies that rely on US technology, starting with Huawei

But the markets still saw this as a short-term battle that will soon be over. But then the doubt started to creep in:

• There are no plans at present to resume negotiations
  • Chinese President XI Jinping talks of a long marathon saying “We are here at the starting point of the Long March to remember the time when the Red Army began its journey. We are now embarking on a new Long March, and we must start all over again!”
  • Then yesterday, a Chinese Ministry of Commerce spokesperson stated that “If the U.S. would like to keep on negotiating it should, with sincerity, adjust its wrong actions. Only then can talks continue,”

But, as usual with these things, the catalysts for the big moves were also present. These changing perceptions on the trade war duration comes a day after the EIA reported another big increase in US crude oil stocks. Whilst the state of US oil stocks is not the entire global situation, it is the most visible. It also happens to coincide with notable evidence of the trade war hitting the U.S. economy. The data released by IHS Markit reported manufacturing growth is at its weakest pace of activity in nearly a decade and new orders fell for the first time since August 2009.

As we’ve said before, oil markets have been pincered between bullish geopolitical supply risk factors and the bearish prospect of declining global growth and the associated drop in oil demand. It seems at present that it is the concern over the state of the world’s economic health that is prevalent.

But although we saw significant downward moves in both oil and equity markets yesterday, these are still far from being classified as a ”crash”. Right now we can say we are factoring in a revised duration and depth of the problems, and the possible degree of associated pain, but that the final outcome is still seen as ”worth the expense”.

But the sentiment has been dented and that makes us very vulnerable to self-fulfilling negative reactions to further bad news, and the impact of the latest round of tariff increases is not even appearing in data releases yet - and the latest Chinese tariff increases have not yet even commenced.

Bumpy rides ahead…

1 Like

Hey Mr. Oil Man (@anon46773462).

Question for the sake of interest:

What do you think will be the impact on the price of Oil if this lot start kicking off in the Middle East???

Hi Dale!

Quite an indecisive day today, hardly surprising! :slight_smile:

Do you mean Iran and its supported groups?

Well. Iran and the USA (and whoever else may enter the fray). The intrepid Mr. Trump, i just heard on the news, is deploying an additional 1 500 troops as in right now. Not asking to base trades at all i.e. just following my system as you know. But curious. If they do kick off then my gut feel would be that it causes the price of Oil to shoot up (and with my prowess when it comes to stuff like this that’s probably the best reason anybody will ever get to short Oil but anyway). But then: would something like this already be factored into the current price??? And as far as I know Iran is not able at this time to sell their Oil openly and on the global market so nothing to change there i.e. as I understand it no less Oil on the market will be the result.

I await your keen insights.

P.S.

May as well throw in your esteemed opinion as to what something like this could do to global equities.

Personal opinion on this part: there is so much of this sh*t going on in this world today I don’t think the stock market even blinks anymore. Trade wars yes obviously as we’ve seen (although that appears to have just been the cause of a spurious blip on the radar screen for now). But global conflicts no.

Demand risk versus supply risk in oil. Divergent views, too many traders shorting oil because of EIA inventories showing a build when global supply shows a draw. Am bullish longer term just waiting for signals to go long. Iran Venezuela Russia OPEC…several powder kegs waiting for a match to be lit.

And all of that has what again to do with Iran and my original question if I may be so bold as to ask??? LOL!!!

Oh, just giving my two cents in oil prices. No idea really how it impacts equity indices.