Cryptocurrency Market Discussion and Weekly Performance

Yes, read that too. It’s a shame the industry is still plagued by scams and issues of trust. You see the potential easily, but the snake oil salesmen are out in force.

2 Likes

The industry is largely unregulated and that both its pros and cons, fortunately or unfortunately.

2 Likes

Last 7 days

Market Cap up 4.17% ($177,669,000,000) and Volume down 4.71% ($41,923,000,000)

The original reasons for the advent of, and then evolution of, and now proliferation of Crypto Currencies, has been the ability of these to avoid regulatory interference.

The attraction for many participants, including myself, is that it is probably the last bastion of privacy available to the common person.

Now, due to the unscrupulous activity of a few players - KEY players - we are hearing calls for regulation!

In other words, investors are running to grab hold of Mama’s apron strings when the bullies appear.

All forms of anarchy will eventually come back to the need for some form of regulation, in my view.
Self-policing can never work and will eventually fail. Look at Big Pharma for your worst examples of this.

No - this is not the scenario we all envisaged years ago when BTC offered a brave-but-risky opportunity to transact business under the radar and far away from the prying eyes of the tax collectors. The Dark Web and the Silk Road are just more examples of disreputable activities which will attract other forms of regulation.

Yes - this is the scenario of your worst nightmares, when the gate-keepers turn out to be the crooks.
The foxes are in charge of the hen-house simply because of the lack of regulation.

Can we have it both ways? No.
Human beings thrive best in regulated environments, largely due to our nature, and propensity to succumb to juicy opportunities to steal what belongs to others when we think we can get away with it.

The current troubles with Bitfinex/Tether are due to exactly the issues investors seek to avoid - regulatory interference.

And this equates to misbehaviour in a section of the industry which - knowing better - went ahead with their dastardly plans, despite the fact that these would bring the whole industry into disrepute.

Sad - and irritating at the same time.

As a buy-and-hold investor in Cardano, I am simply seeing these fluctuations as buying opportunities.
Eventually my investments will produce fruit, but I doubt the industry will continue to thrive without some form of regulatory interference by such as the USA Attorney General.

I am angry too, of course, but I accept the emotion and do not intend to allow that to interfere with what still promises to be a fantastic investment. At AUD$0.10 holders will be pleased they had the opportunity to buy-and-hold at these prices in a few years.

Babies and bathwater. Keep your head.

2 Likes

Regulation will undoubtedly help adoption, and it’s definitely needed as you mentioned. The large, institutional players, are needed to drive adoption by the retail public, and that won’t continue to happen without regulation. Without regulation, we stay in the wild west of late 2017/early 2018. While the gains were breathtaking, so were the losses, all on the back of manipulation BY A FEW in my view.

1 Like

Last 7 days

Market Cap down 7.94% ($163,559,000,000) and Volume down 7.32% ($38,852,000,000)

Sea of red. Even a bigger drop that I thought, almost $15 billion from last week, undoubtedly the result of the NY AG investigating iFinex/Bitfinex/Tether for fraud..

1 Like

Have looked trough whole thread, ok, it’s have it’s ups and downs, so why to watch so closely. I think BTC millionaries do not sit here as well. Especially last time it only arises and I just wish I had more money to buy some BTC in past like most of you did;)

1 Like

Last 7 days

Market Cap down 9.33% ($178,822,000,000) and Volume down 8.00% ($41,960,000,000)

You pick up on changes and trends mainly. And it’s a way to go back and reference a specific point in time, or a period over some length of time. It’s tough to get that information on demand, and even tougher to get it visually across multiple coins/tokens. So I log it.

1 Like

Last 7 days

Market Cap up 30.16% ($235,426,000,000) and Volume down 44.54% ($76,536,000,000)

Sea of green, BTC above $8K! Ridiculous moves up across the board.

1 Like

Last 7 days

Market Cap up 23.29% ($253,142,000,000) and Volume down 13.27% ($59,081,000,000)

Last 7 days

Market Cap up 10% ($271,709,000,000) and Volume up 26.96% ($50,234,000,000)

Last 7 days

Market Cap up 3.17% ($273,666,000,000) and Volume down 4.88% ($44,661,000,000)

All downhill from here? Or would this be counted as a correction? :thinking:

This is no different from any other market manipulation.

Those with weak hands are being frightened out of their holdings.
If you want to make any money at all, learn to buy and hold.

The name of the Crypto game is threefold:

Rule 1: Accumulate and hold.
Rule 2: Accumulate and hold
Rule 3: If in doubt about what to do, see rules 1& 2 above.

Put it this way: Those who bought Cardano at 6 cents and sat on their hands - do you think they are selling right now?

That is not a facetious question - I pose it to illustrate that all of these markets will fluctuate as traders kid themselves that they are making a few dollars on the peaks and dips, but they despair when price takes off before they get the opportunity to buy back in. They lose to the people who are not greedy, but happy to accumulate before the bottom of each dip.

That’s the real wisdom in any involvement with Cryptos.

But some are pretty good at this trading stuff, and I say more power to them.
I class myself as a “good Forex trader who was manipulated out of my bank accounts” more than once.
I was a fool to think I would ever master Forex Trading.

All the “education” in the world cannot outsmart those who control price.
But the manipulators cannot take your money if you put your coins under the mattress.

I have proof of the manipulation in the currency markets, but off-topic here.

Agreed, and they know exactly what they’re doing.

My correction at $8K was down to $5600. $9k top to $7500 right now is close to half way there to 30% drop at $6300. Let’s see how close we get.

Rinse and repeat.

1 Like

Last 7 days

Market Cap down 12.39% ($239,770,000,000) and Volume up 1.31% ($45,246,000,000)

Double-digit drop across the entire market was big, but BTC has already jumped up 5% in the last 24 hours. Can we recoup our loses during the week?

Those that know suggest BTC needs to stay up above the $7400 level to maintain/move higher. Only time will tell.

Last 7 days

Market Cap is up 13.46% ($285,937,000,000) and Volume down 32.46% ($115,656,000,000)

The volume is completely throwing me off. Perhaps Coin360 has updated this calculation along with the visuals. Will need some investigating.

Last 7 days

Market Cap is up 13.73% ($325,192,000,000) and Volume down 46.46% ($481,006,000,000)

The volume number still doesn’t make sense to me. It’s 4x since last week, but it’s showing a drop in volume, which doesn’t look right. Still, lots of green and BTC above $11K!

Last 7 days

Market Cap is down 15.73% ($289,035,000,000) and Volume up 39.33% ($518,210,000,000)

Last 7 days

Market Cap is down 3.73% ($278,244,000,000) and Volume down 25.75% ($454,278,000,000)

Down and down