Currencies Bid As Traders Look to Build on Dollar Shorts; USD/JPY Commentary (Midday

[B]MIDDAY SNAPSHOT & ANALYSIS OF SELECTED RATES[/B]

The USD has been well offered in the New York session of trade with many accounts still bearish on the Greenback, looking to take advantage of the latest slide in currencies to build on existing long positions. Data out of the US this morning was mixed with [B]wholesale trade [/B]coming in on the softer side, while [B]IBD/TIPP[/B] [B]consumer optimism[/B] was better after breaking above the key [B]50[/B] level for the first time since November 2008. [B]Sterling[/B] continued to be a relative outperformer, as comments from [B]Stephen Timms[/B] that UK measures were working, along with [B]T[/B][B]reasury Byrne[/B] who said that the deficit would be halved in 4 years, helped to fuel additional gains. Also generating headlines was the news that the [B]Treasury[/B] had granted permission to 10 major banks to repay [B]TARP funds[/B]. [B]Treasury Secretary Geithner[/B] said that the repayment was an “[B]encouraging sign of financial repair[/B].” US [B]equities[/B] are mixed, while [B]gold [/B]trades flat and [B]oil [/B]climbs higher, back above $69.00 to trade higher by some 1.50%.

[B]ANALYSIS OF SELECTED RATES[/B]

[B]Usd/Jpy: [/B]Has pulled back quite sharply on Tuesday with the market looking set to retest the previous resistance now turned support at 97.25 into the latter half of the session. However, any setbacks are seen limited to this area, with the overall structure now favoring additional gains over the medium-term after the market managed to close above shorter-term trend-line resistance off of the 2009 highs on Friday. A higher low is now sought out by 97.25 ahead of a fresh upside extension towards 100.00, to be confirmed on a break back above 98.90. Strategy: BUY @97.25 FOR A 100.25 OBJECTIVE, STOP @95.75. Recommendation to be removed if not triggered by NY close (5pm ET) on Tuesday.

[B]Written by Joel Kruger, Technical Currency Strategist for DailyFX.com
If you wish to receive Joel’s reports in a more timely fashion, e-mail [/B][B][email protected][/B] [B]and you will be added to the [/B][B]“distribution” [/B][B]list.[/B]

Joel Kruger publishes 6 daily pieces:

[I][B]“Tech Talk”[/B] – A Daily Video Highlighting Technical Developments in the Overnight Session of Trade. [/I]
Monday-Friday (between 5:30am-6:30am EST)

[I][B]“Morning Slices”[/B] – Morning Overview using Fundamental, Technical, Flow, and Quantitative Analysis (Includes “Trade of the Day”).[/I]
Monday-Friday (between 6:30am-7:30am EST)

[I][B]“Indicator of the Day”[/B] – [/I][I]A Feature Report that Highlights our Most Significant Technical Indicator of the Day. [/I]
Monday-Friday (between 8:00am-9:00am EST)

[I][B]“Midday Snapshot” [/B]– A Midday Fundamental Update, along with Technical Analysis of Selected Rates. [/I]
Monday-Friday (between 10:30am-11:30am EST)

[I][B]“Scandi Daily”[/B] –[/I] [I]A Specialized Daily Fundamental and Technical Overview of the Nordic Currencies. [/I] (This report is only distributed through email. Please contact [email protected] if you would like to be added to distribution.)
Monday-Friday (between 11:30am-12:30pm EST)

[I][B]“Daily Classical”[/B] – A Daily Technical Overview of the Major Currencies. [/I]
Monday-Friday (published between 2:00pm-3:00pm EST)