Cyprus regulator CySEC continues to get tough with weak brokers

The image in this Finance Magnates article caught my attention. It’s a Bloomberg image, and it appears to show a Cyprus flag that’s been dragged through the mud.

Is Bloomberg (or Finance Magnates) trying to say something in a coy fashion?

Anyway, the article deals with the temporary suspension of a Cyprus forex broker for failing to maintain adequate capital reserves.

Cyprus brokers used to be essentially unregulated, and – as a “regulator” — CySEC was a joke.

No more. For some time now, CySEC has been cleaning up Cyprus forex.

Here’s the Finance Magnates article –

“Continues to get tough with weak brokers …”

Isn’t that called "Bullying " ?

Sounds as though it’s almost certain to provoke a “Run on the bank” - which is most likely to destabilise the balance sheet and push them into illiquid status - ie the last of those to apply will not get paid !

Piss poor “Regulation” methinks !

It’s a Getty image taken in 2012, used by FT and Bloomberg and others since then.

I think Cysec doing their job well. As an EU member state, CySEC’s financial regulations and operations comply with the European MiFID financial harmonization law.

It’s MiFiD, MiFiD II and MiFiR now :slight_smile:
The CySEC regulated brokers now have to comply with all the EU regulations and that’s great.
It was about time to start taking out the rubbish.

1 Like

it’s certainly a step in a good direction, if so

up until now, being “Cyprus regulated” has meant about the same, on the client protection front, as not being regulated at all

I’ve made the point in several forums and threads that CySEC is no longer the “off-shore, shady brokerage/business” location as of the time when Cyprus joined the EU.
A lot of people don’t realize it.