Daft MT4 question

Good afternoon everyone.

Apologies if this is a stupid question. I have been trading for some years, and have always used eSignal for my charting software. I love it, very intuitive etc.

However so many people talk about MT4/5 that I feel as though I ought at least to know what it looks like, how it works. So I looked for a free download of the MT4 software and Google just confused the heck out of me.

Would anyone be so kind as to point me in the direction either of an idiot’s guide to downloading and running MT4, or even to a reliable source for such a download. I think from what I read that MT4 is free, so I figure I ought to know what all the fuss is about (not least because I deal with other traders who use it).

Many thanks in advance,

ST

Your broker will most likely offer mt4.
You could always try it on a demo account to see what you think

1 Like

Depends what you want. If you want the tablet or phone version, get it from your app store. If you want it for mac or pc, get it from your broker (or whatever broker you want to open a demo account with).

1 Like

Thank you both for the replies. I had thought that there would be a direct download available, so I could just have MT4 as a standalone on my desktop. I think that I can get it via my broker (ETX Capital), but they seem to charge for it, which is slightly missing the point.

I’ll message them but without much optimism.

Thanks again for the responses!

ST

Ive never heard of a broker charging for mt4 before. Maybe you need a new broker :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lol you might be right. I have been with them for eight years but they seem only to offer MT4 bundled with other products and then charge for it. Shame as I have been happy with them otherwise, but I could do with learning MT4.

Thanks for the response!

LMFAO, they charge for MT-4 wow hehe that’s funny and on the shonky side of things.

1 Like

Mate, you can download MT-4 as a standalone from here

but this is a RAW version and it is NOT CONFIGURED to work with a broker

The versions that you download from your broker are the same as this but are configured to work with the brokers servers.

also, YOU SHOULD NOT BE GETTING CHARGED for MT-4
if a broker is charging you for that… LEAVE THE BROKER and find new one

1 Like

That’s very kind of you, thank you.

Yes I was surprised that they charged, I have been with them for years and they have always been excellent. I guess they ultimately don’t want me using it with their system! As I say, I have eSignal and am very happy with it, but as so many other traders use MT4 I thought I ought to see what it was about and familiarise myself with it.

The download looks great, thank you so much for that, it looks to be exactly what I was after - although I always find it oddly daunting configuring a new system when used to something else!

No problem with it not being optimised for ETX - I set up eSignal myself, which was similarly detached from the ETX system. I just need some charts, am happy to make them look how I want them to look and then place my trades with the broker.

Thanks very much again, much appreciated.

ST

No problems

give me a yell if you want to know how to configure the charts
and ONCE YOU HAVE THAT DONE

Save your PROFILES
and
Save your TEMPLATES

after getting one chart the way you want it ,
Save that chart with all the indicators you want on it, AS A TEMPLATE
right click and
TEMPLATE
SAVE AS
give it a name

from that point on
you open a new chart and select
TEMPLATE
and you pick an existing one and voila, it’s all there in a flash

get as many charts up as you want and resize the windows as you like them
then
Save that as a PROFILE

1 Like

also, i’ve been with shonky brokers in the past
not one has charged me to use MT-4
FYI

It is worth noting that brokers with proprietary platforms sometimes charge higher spreads for MT4. This is why I didn’t end up using Markets.com; they may not have charged me to download MT4, but they were certainly going to charge me for using it.

1 Like

well… if we are going to look at that way
then, yes, nothing is for free
of course they make up the cost in indirect ways, i have no doubt of that.

That’s really very helpful, thank you!

You’re Welcome
it saves hours especially if you are setting up correlating charts after MT-4 Crashd for some reason or you have to reformat your computer

1 Like