Daily Hi Lo

Holy Grail
Sorry I couldn’t resist saying that. The only thing I can’t resist is temptation.

This is not a highly polished well developed trade strategy. Just something I’ve been looking at that I thought I would share and get your thoughts on.

Take a look at a daily chart. I’ll use GBP/USD in my example.
Do you see it?
Kinda sticks out like a sore thumb doesn’t it?
Did you ever notice how the candles are all the same length and lined up in a horizontal flat line across your screen like a bunch of dominoes?
No? You didn’t notice that?
Well that’s because they don’t!

So what does price do? It moves! up and down. Even when it’s in a narrow range it bounces up and down inside that range. (good for boll bounces but that’s a different thread).

So most of the time a candle will be offset from the previous candle. It will extend either above the previous high or below the previous low or sometimes both.

On a daily candle even a small extension can be worth enough pips to make a trade worthwhile. But not on time frames less than daily. So that’s why this is going to be a ‘daily’ high / low system.

after looking at the last 10 years of daily candles…
96.32% of them will extend either above the high or below the low, or both, of the previous daily candle.

The trade strategy is obvious. Place a pending buy stop at yesterday’s high and a pending sell stop at yesterdays low. You will get at least one order triggered 96 days out of a 100. Of those 96 days, 10% of them will get both orders triggered.

So Of those that go above or below the previous daily High or Low, price will go at least 20 pips 78.66% of the time. This will give you an average of 1573 pips per 100 trades, (78.66 times 20 = 1573). But this is not the optimum.

The optimum Take Profit is actually somewhere in the range of 45 to 75 pips. This gives you in the neighborhood of 2377 to 2489 pips per 100 trades.
Specifically a take profit of 55 or 60 will each yeild 2489 pips per 100 trades.
This only takes into account wins, not losses.
When taking losses into account the optimum TP may be entirely different. (caveat emptor).

That may not seem like a lot, only 24.89 pips per day but with compounding it can add up in a hurry.
And also there will be days when price moves a lot farther than 20 pips so maybe some kind of trailing stop would be worth using?

Notice I haven’t said much about losses or Stop Loss distance. That’s because I haven’t figured that part out yet. Obviously there has to be a balance between how small you can make your stop loss and still leave enough room for price fluctuations so that price will hit your TP. That’s the tricky bit.

An alternative that I’ve been looking at. (no statistics yet) is a break of the daily open or close rather than the high or low. A cursory look gives me the impression that this might have a higher pip yield.

Are you a flat liner now
You know thats the first step to getting banned from BP:D

Your numbers sound really good to me. The thing that makes or breaks this is the stoploss you mentioned that. I will investigate this. perhaps some forward testing if I catch price at an entry point. I have the worst luck with trades if I am not staring at them. No pending orders for me.

An alternative that I’ve been looking at. (no statistics yet) is a break of the daily open or close rather than the high or low. A cursory look gives me the impression that this might have a higher pip yield.

This is talked about at length in the Forex Store Thread I think Buckscoder tested this and claimed it was 50/50 but I don’t know his methods or parameters. Many people say this is can be a very profitable trade “trigger” to use some FL lingo:D

i traded something similar to this before but never extensively, produced decent profits as well, i think it mentioned 50 pip TP and 30 pip SL? not 100% sure but what we could check is how far did price go in the green before reaching “X” amount in the red during the course of the trade. Simply change X until we find the best number, we could also change the TP to a better one as well. But, your the excel wizard not me so get on it :stuck_out_tongue:

LOL! Not yet, he hasn’t figured out that he needs to spam it all over the boards, and tell everyone else their charts, and indicators are useless yet.

Then the debates start.

And followed soon by the calls to paypal him a “donation” for the rest of the equation:p

With good money management, it’s a simplistic idea with merit.

Anything to do with opens and closes always seems to have a deeper meaning.

hes probably just keeping the post incase he needs room to expand upon the first post, adding charts entries exits etc.

Is that really necessary?

HaHaHa
TalonD discovered Daily HiLo.

It only took him 2.5 years because this material has been posted in here starting [B]09-20-2007, 10:52 AM[/B]

with the headline of the second post

[B][U]Use no indicators[/U][/B]

http://forums.babypips.com/free-forex-trading-systems/6632-alternative-technical-templates.html

So when are the color book people in here going to discover Asian session HiLo, London session HiLo, NY session HiLo, previous week HiLo & previous 2 day HiLo?

why not?
why can’t you plot the previous day high & low with 2 horizontal lines & make those lines visible all the way down from Daily to tick?

are you suggesting it’s not a viable proposition to trade a break through or reversal from the previous day high or low on anything other than a Daily timeframe chart?

how bout prices busting Fridays high or low on a 5 minute chart, pulling back & offering forth a series of continuation momentum thrusts? Wouldn’t that type of opportunity present multiple entry possibilities, especially if the push through one of those levels was amplified & supported by heavy stop order activity?

I knew the flatliners would get a kick out of me going over to the dark side. LOL

Drawback of other flat line threads is a lack of numbers. I like to know the probability of something. Also it was hard to find the gold nuggets mixed in with all the chaff.

Used: I’ve only been at this a little over a year. Not 2.5 years. and the first half of that was wasted in the usual noobie persuits of EAs. But that’s because I’m a programmer by profession and I HAVE to pursue EAs! Coding is in my blood. I think like a computer.

Why daily and not hourly or 15m? Compare the average length of an hourly candle and the average length of a daily candle. Which covers more pips?
Priice is price it’s all tick data at the most fundamental level. it’s like looking at a city from a passenger airliner. or looking at it from street level. One covers inches and one covers miles.
It’s all a matter of magnification and percentages.
I DO like to zoom in on the lower time frames to see more detail of what’s going on. That’s where the answer to stop losses will be found.

Edit:
Happy trading everyone !! :slight_smile:

Confucius say “when the student is ready the teacher appears”.

What makes prices go higher? People wanting. What makes prices go lower? People not wanting. At a period high, traders look to see what happens. When the price goes higher, some traders jump in. If enough traders jump in, it start a stampede and price keeps rising. At least, that’s how I see it. How do you see it?

I don’t think that’s what he meant. I read it to say, use the daily high & low rather than the H4, H1, M30, M15, M5, M1 high & low.

Confucius say “when the student is ready the teacher appears”.

:slight_smile:

What makes prices go higher? People wanting. What makes prices go lower? People not wanting. At a period high, traders look to see what happens. When the price goes higher, some traders jump in. If enough traders jump in, it start a stampede and price keeps rising. At least, that’s how I see it. [B]How do you see it?[/B]

money flows = order flows = prices go higher & prices go lower
no money flows = no order flows = price doesn’t go higher & price doesn’t go lower

A few traders are leading;
more traders & most traders are following.

Traders see that the leaders are pushing prices higher some are jumping in.
If some traders turn into more traders & most traders;
prices keep going higher

Traders see that the leaders are pushing prices lower some are jumping in.
If some traders turn into more traders & most traders;
prices keep going lower

I mentioned using pending orders. Sort of a set it and forget it thing. The only reason for that is that I am in the Eastern Time zone USA. so I sleep through London open and work the day job during New York session. I can look at charts from work but can’t devote a LOT of time to it. Seems like the big moves happen mostly during early London session anyway.
I would rather be at the charts to manage the trade. That would certainly be preferable to set it and forget it.

Ummm lemme think.

Yes:p

entering & managing off smaller chart timeframes will, on occasion, offer softer & more versatile risk options for sure. A lot depends on where & when it breaks the high or low line & what’s influencing the move at that time though.
as has been mentioned, 7am-midday gmt is quite often the optimum window for piggybacking & riding heavy momentum, but that’s the case for most examples, not just this one.

I guess if you’re able to accommodate that opportunity window & take advantage of that type of market action with your strategy plans, then great. If not, then tough love.

good luck with your trial & testing.

i’m struggling to fathom that comment.
get banned from what? this thread?

Usually a thread like this comes with a “holier than thou” attitude from the original poster. (However not in this case.)

Then the marytrs proceed to tell everyone else how wrong they are for their methods whatever they are.

After much teeth gnashing, and condescension, a banishment from Pipdom happens, leading the avid disciples to believe there is a conspiracy by the ruling hierarchy to squash all things novel in concept.

Nothing could be further from the truth.:stuck_out_tongue:

so I’ve wandered into the middle of some sort of ongoing spat? :slight_smile:

okay, I guess I’ll gingerly step back out & skirt the perimeter a while.

are they generally girlie handbag jobs or is blood usually spilt?
I don’t want to wander around here with a cleanly pressed white shirt if I got to dodge pockets of blood being spattered left & right.

No spat here. You’ll know it when you see it.

Keep the pressed white shirt on. It’s refreshing in this sea of AC/DC and Metallica tees:p

No spats from me. Appreciate your input jjay and anyone!