Day Trading & Volatility

Simple question, If you are day trading is it better in your opinion to trade pairs with high or low volatility?

High volatility. But it’s only part of the question. Pip value is also a factor. Do you focus on a pair that has a daily range of 83 pips at say $13.20 per pip per lot or a pair that ranges 61 pips at $17.95

Good question, also related are the times of day. Volaility varies a lot according to time of day and some people I have heard speak of trading the asian session because it is relatively “passive” - Not sure that works for example on AUDJPY, both of which are in that timeframe and therefore of more interest perhaps than EURUSD which may just be boring to them, so I think One would need to follow their nose and watch a few pairs on demo trades perhaps - see where the profit is !

Surely you just change the size of your gambling, to reflect your prefered “Risk” size ?

Well yes and that incurs costs (commission) but the question was in relation to day trading. You want to give yourself maximum bang for your buck. Knowing the possibility for potential return in filtering out which pair to trade in part of the decision making process. Something they wont teach you.

You’re missing my point - say 6 mini lots at $17.95 is about the same as 9 mini lots at $13 - so how does that effect your costs ? (mental arithmetic only - not going to “micro-decimals” )

Why does it change "Bang for your buck " ?

No I believe your missing my point. For a day trader, volatility is only part of the equation. When selecting an instrument one also needs to take into account variables such as pip value and costs ( commission, swap, spread).

This maximizes returns, reduces cost and gives bang for your bucks

Oh you’re “one of those” :disappointed:

I gave an example and asked you a perfectly reasonable question, which you clearly can’t work out.

So I’m leaving you and your sad repetition to talk to yourself.

Again no, but what’s really sad is it turns out you are.

See my friend, I’ve been on the outside looking in for months, actually it’s well over a year. I have a fair view of who’s who. You, I had pegged for one of the good guys but alas, it might not be so.

The OP asked the question in relation to day trading to which I answered but you, you needed to start step 1 of the process off

This forum is sad enough as it it. Why do people fail, because of the filth that fills the forums.

a Reality Check is needed here