Developing Positive Trading Habit

We spotted two of the most destructive factors on trading. First, in-consistent trading strategy. Second, horrible risk management. These two factors allegedly force any trader-want-to-be individual in to gambling and pure speculation, causing miserable and emotional drain and in some cases, life destruction.

That is an irony. Most retail traders failed while in fact, trading is one of the most precious and ultimate activity in financial market industry and has made some big names like Goldman, Morgan Stanley, UBS or any else to be getting even bigger than ever. This is just giving a more winning tip on the statement of ā€œthe poor become poorer and the rich became richerā€.

The lucrative result and lifestyle people heard down there, have blinded the real approach that has been making trading so powerful behind financial market dynamics. Inadequate knowledge and understanding, collided with minimum supervision on risk management are totally contradict on what the real professional and institutional traders have: dual control and a bunch of tiring regulation.

In the industry, traders are fully regulated and strictly supervised. While in retail area, none of it works. No supervision and dual control. Creating space for loose awareness on risk handling. It has been so common that retail traders hit their account margin limit. While in the real industry, you will be fired once your account incrementally moving toward your margin limit.

Those facts make it is so important for retail traders, to develop a positive habit on trading. Rather than be blinded with the potential return trading can offer, retailers are better forced to raise their awareness on risk. That being said, the urgency to develop positive habit on trading is better than important.

Letā€™s develop positive habit on trading

First. Stop looking for the best trading idea. Financial market movement is random. More liquid the market, more efficient they are (see Efficient Market Hypothesis on wikipedia). It means, no one could make better return than the other ā€“ that is, normal return. Ceteris paribus, the only way to make money in the market is not losing your money.

Second, risk management. Of course there are some cases where trader can gain more than the others. That is all due to the ā€œextraordinary eventā€. Like shocking news of economic crash, or in contrary, economic jump. At this moment, risk management of any traders become very crucial. One who has strict risk management will save their ass when shocking negative news come. And better risk-return ration when positive shock taps in.

Third, keep repeating those first two. Say it to your mind and show it to your behaviour: ā€œno best strategyā€, and ā€œkeep up our risk managementā€. Repeating is crucial. Because repeating creates stimulates our brain to keep doing the same. In our brain, there is a mechanism called reticular formation. That is, part of the brain that produces habit.

Fourth, never trade alone. Trading is indulging. And failing trades even more indulging. Failed traders tend to be addicted on failure. Because they want to revenge. What an unfortunate. And loneliness will drive an addiction to be more severe. Find a partner. Find a place to share your emotions. Trading groups may help. Trading forum does as well. But remember, keep doing on point 1 ā€“ 3 above. Otherwise, you will be getting trapped on paralysis of analysis. It is a situation where one can not define the standard of analysis due to so many informations coming in. Beware.

We are fully aware on these. Some of us have been on that situation and getting f*cked up. But we are getting up. Hold things together and trade for the better life. You can also join us for free. Go to our live trading page and discuss. Just remember. Nothing goes better without great mindset and right attitude.

2 Likes

Streetrader, you are right for point 1-3. And there are 2 solutions for this.

• First, you continue to learn and experience more. The more you know the less risk you take.
  • Second, you find someone with successful trading strategy. Ask them and do exactly what they have done. Of course this is not free but it can save your money and time.

For point 4th, I do not agree with you. I personally trade alone. Because no one can tell that tomorrow the stock will up or down. Based on the technical analysis knowledge I can understand the current status of the market. Based on that I place the order myself. My order is my responsibility, my profit. Why should I trade with group to take more pressure.

Point taken fxzentradingstrategy. Some people just can handle it by themselves. For this case, trade together might help.

During my early years of trading the forex, I traded in an online meeting room trading pit with my mentor and other students. It allowed us to follow strict trading strategy during execution as well as gave us an opportunity to discuss trade ideas and receive critique and guidance from our instructor. I liked the idea, however we were trading the Japan market and it was a late night for meā€¦

Thatā€™s is great sir, you can trade with your mentors. It will more easy for you to understand how to right trade faster. If my self, I only learning by my self with learning from ebook and forums. Its work nice in liteforex as my favorite broker because their trading server really fast in ecn account. In mayzus also great choice.

It worked well; we would open the room an hour before the Asian market open, to go over what everyone was ā€œseeingā€ in our charts for potential upcoming trades. We would collaborate and come up with the trade or trades we thought had the strongest possibilities. Our mentor would help us define what we saw and reinforce the importance of our trading plan. It was an awesome situation. We had a very high percentage of winning trades with this format. We didnā€™t take a trade each day, but the trades we took were very disciplined. Danny

Hey danster2! Iā€™m very new to Forex and finished most of babypips school but still feel a bit without direction. The mentor and online meeting room trading sounds like it would help develop some good habits and lessen the learning curve of trading. Can you recommend any honest/legit ones for today? Thanks! Jason

I actually agree with streettraderā€¦ I teached myself mainly but wish I had of joined forums like this earlier! You never stop learning and seeing other peoples opinions does help.

Hi Julaner.
Some impressive scores at the Pipschool, keep it up! There are, as I see it, a few problems with finding mentors;

1. How do you know which ones are genuinely worth the time and money? Unless you know someone personally (not via forums or social media) you are trusting a stranger
  2. A really good mentor may not wish to spend his/her time going thru the basics (a scammer would be more than happy, as he may have little more to offer).
  3. What happens when your mentor isnt there anymore? If you are not yet at the stage where you can trade without him, do you have to restart the whole process with someone else?

Weā€™ve had ā€˜mentorsā€™ on here luring new traders off-site. Likewise, we have some excellent traders on here who are happy to give advice and guidance in an open forum where everything is transparant and open to scrutiny and questioning by other members. I know which route I would prefer to take.

Namaste

Thank you for the kind words! So far the school on babypips has been the best resource I could have ever imagined for learning about markets and forex. Been a great experience so far. Iā€™ve also been checking out the free stuff on trade empowered which seems good, but itā€™s no where near babypips school in depth.

Since Iā€™m nearing the end of the education now the hard part for me is tying it all together and figuring out how to apply what Iā€™ve learned practically. I think my next steps will be to finish my reading plan and pick a super simple system that I can back test to gain some confidence and then go into a demo account. Do you keep a journal like the school recommends? Thanksļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½ļæ½

I kept a journal for the first year but now I have settled on a couple of trading plans I donā€™t do it as itā€™s just repetitive.
I recommend looking at the 3 ducks system, I use it and have a good success rate. Also worth looking on here at Maryo charts thread, he also has a good strike rate

I have written an article on this. Forgot where did I post that. I am searching, will share it here if I find it. Please do comeback to the tread later.