Did the stop loss fail?

Why did this situation occur? It seems to be the second time in the past few days. I was clearly short-selling and set a stop loss at 134.827, but suddenly it surged up and only stopped at a much higher level (135.079), which is much farther than my original stop loss.

1 Like

If the market is moving that quickly the software can’t keep up and the point between the trigger saying stop and the action may be slightly different. This can also happen the other way around with a take profit, so it can be good and it can be bad!

Suppose it’s like sitting in your car and putting your foot on the accelerator, it won’t be instant speed (unless it’s an electric car!).

4 Likes

yes indeed - as Pauley says - looks something like “news slippage,” to me: there’s a huge gap between the candle on which you were stopped out and its predecessor :frowning:

3 Likes

Thank you for your response. I was a bit lost before and hesitated to place another order. I took a two-week break and read some books to adjust my mood. However, this situation has reappeared, and I suddenly feel overwhelmed. After reading your response, I feel better. Thank you once again.

1 Like

Slippage is the answer my man.
Slippage happens when the price you expect for a trade doesn’t match the price at which it actually gets executed. It usually occurs in fast-moving markets.
And I think sometimes it can be helpful too! it occurs when you get a better executed price than what you expected. This can lead to potential savings or higher profits for your trades. (never happened to me!)

2 Likes

I contend that it’s all bad, because an element of chance like that really hurts.

That is the answer! and the name of the problem you’ve faced is slippage!
But sometimes maybe checking the case with the broker can be helpful! Just call them or ask their support staff about the problem, maybe they help you or fix it for you (we are talking about a probability of 1%!)
Best Luck/