Do you find a higher success rate in trading longs or shorts?

Just curious, for those who have long history of trading, which has a higher rate of success for you? trading long positions or short positions?

1 Like

it depends on financial instrument and order types

there’s no statistically significant difference in win-rate between the two, for me (but i do take significantly more long than short positions)

My long win rate is always better because I also trade US indices, as well as forex, and only long, never short.

But how can it make a difference on a forex pair? Unless the strategy itself is unbalanced?

3 Likes

i think it maybe can, a bit, overall, because of the correlations between forex pairs and indices?

you can trade GBP/USD, which often moves intraday in the same direction as the S&P/NQ for obvious reasons, but you can’t trade USD/GBP, can you?

1 Like

I think you and Tom are talking at cross-purposes, there?

it really depends on the market and your trading style
if you can handle short trades why not

The success rate of trading longs or shorts can vary depending on a trader’s strategy and the prevailing market conditions. Just stick to what you have chosen and move forward.

1 Like

I definitely take more shorts than longs looking at my trade history. The data suggests that I win more often on my short trades than on my long trades. I think I identify short setups easier than long setups.