Do you know instutional traders?

Hello all,

I trade since one year now. I have the chance to have some conversations with a lot of retails trader and I am always looking to speak about trading.

I know about SMC concepts but I wanted to know if somoeone here was an instutional trader or made a classic trading school, or if you know someone.

I am very curious about how it is really to trade for an institution, which knowledge is share in that type of environnement.

If you have good articles, documentary about that, you send it too please.

Thank you.

institution traders are big players in Forex industry . i think they are not available in there , they never share their experience or anything in publicly.

1 Like

institution traders work for a big corporation , they are real professional traders.

1 Like

I know some of the instutional traders but my experience with them isn’t that much good.

1 Like

Can I ask you Why ?

Yes I know plenty, it’s true they keep themselves to themselves, they use very different processes to retail which are not convertible, they have to be translated, I’m kind of the voice for them.

Like personally? :open_mouth:

there are plenty of independent traders who used to be institutional traders but now trade independently for a variety of reasons (semi-retirement, working part-time, wanting a change of environment, burn-out, redundancy, etc. etc.)

none of them is trading spot forex

literally not one

i’ve worked on a couple of “trading floors” myself (they’re almost all “virtual trading floors” nowadays), over the decades, and know many, but as i said, none is a spot forex trader

1 Like

That’s interesting. Is it because spot forex is looked down upon? If they’re still trading independently, what instruments are they trading?

1 Like

it’s because of all the nasty disadvantages of trading spot forex (all the things discussed here in hundreds of threads: lack of transparency, regulatory problems, broker problems, lack of fund protection, the fact that it isn’t actually trading but only betting against a counterparty who deals in their own “product” and sets their own prices and spreads, etc. etc. etc. … these are all things that would preclude any professional trader from touching it at all when they don’t have to and can so easily avoid all those problems

mostly futures (and i suppose some former bond-traders and options-traders are trading those, too, if that’s what their training was and that’s what they were formerly employed to do)

“futures” includes forex futures, of course, for the ones (like me) who like trading currencies … the futures move almost pip-for-pip (tick-for-tick) the same, so it’s very similar, really, but just avoids all the problems of spot forex

the main advantages are:-

1. your broker is on your side, never against you, and wants you to win

2. it’s a transparent market where every broker always has exactly the same prices, because prices are not set by the broker but by a real, transparent market

3. regulation is much, much better and safer and funds are much better protected

4. there’s effectively no spread, and the commissions are lower

what’s not to like?! :smiley:

when you look at all those advantages, it’s pretty easy to see why no pro would ever want to touch spot forex at all, really? :wink:

Makes sense. They’re called pros for a reason.

Would you say this is an accurate explanation of the difference?

like almost everything Sam Seiden has ever published, the article is “marketing dressed up as ‘information’,” but on the subject of the differences between spot forex and forex futures, he doesn’t say anything there that i’d disagree with

so that’s more or less a “yes” :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’m currently in the final stages of setting up an account with Interactive Brokers, a highly reputable broker. So I am going to give futures a shot. If I like what I see after a few days/weeks then I’ll probably make the switch.

I’m excited about this. Thanks for steering me in this direction @flamingoproxy.

1 Like

I’m not an institutional trader, but I can tell you, it’s a different beast with its own strategies and high stakes.
Check out “Inside Job” and “Liar’s Poker” for some real deep dives. Also, don’t skip those big bank reports - you’d be surprised how much they reveal!

And that’s the last we ever heard from old Matty… :rofl:

2 Likes

Naaa…you can just look for me on the cover of Forbes Magazine, lol.

Sang that song while reading your reply :joy:

1 Like

Matty, aim a little higher…go for the cover of Hustler magazine. :cowboy_hat_face:

2 Likes