Do you pay attention to fundamentals?

How much or what percentage of your trading would you say is influenced by fundamentals? Is it majority or are you mostly relying on technicals?

1 Like

20% Fundamental
30% Technical
30% Statistic
20% Ultra Instinct

mqdefault

1 Like

I think the the more important thing is find a balance that aligns with your goals, preferences, and the market conditions you are trading in.

1 Like

Good chance that the majority of retail rely solely on TA - that’s understandable since the majority of ‘education’ isTA - retail brokers even offer such free of charge.

Then again brokers mostly trade against retail - it’s not unfair, retail takes the gamble and broker takes the risk.

Thing is the entire world sees those charts that TA relies on, so too the market - and the market is in the business of making money - if it comes from retail then so be it.

Back in the day they used to call it ‘dumb money’ or ‘street money’ - nowadays it’s called ‘retail’.

2 Likes

yes, both - it’s the great majority, i’m sure, and i’m relying almost entirely on technicals :+1:

i’m not trying to be “funny” or “clever” or anything like that - it’s just that these are not two different things because fundamentals are already reflected in tecnicals before technicals get as far as us

the only time i really look at fundamentals at all is to make certain i avoid “red news” (wouldn’t want a trade open then!), apart from that i don’t touch fundamentals because i know it’s not an area in which i can compete with anyone whose trades move markets, because they have research departments, skills, facilities and information that i can never possibly acquire

so i try to have absolutely as little to do with it as i possibly can

but still, fundamentals are mostly what move prices, and prices are obviously what move technicals, of course, so i would think the proportion of my trading that’s influenced by fundamentals, one way or another, must surely be huge?

2 Likes

Hi, this is a good question. I have managed to cut my working week from six days down to three due to trading Forex. My answer to your question is 90% fundementals and 10%, technical. The technicals speak for themselves once you have a fundemental reason to take a trade.

That’s mostly what we as retail are fed - the truth is that it only takes a little thinking outside that box to discover something else.

Imagine yesterday that you went long USD on Eur/Usd pre NFP on some TA analysis but yet ignored PMI published many days previously?

2 Likes

no argument from me at all … PMI is exactly the kind of “red news” i do look at - everything i need is available by clicking the “calendar” tab at the top of every page of this site :sunglasses:

1 Like

I mostly use technical analysis, say about 80%. But, I first look at the fundamentals to figure out where to best apply my technical analysis.

1 Like

Do you think solely relying on TA is disadvantageous to traders?

Right?? But just indirectly.

1 Like

Fundamentals and Technicals are so intertwined, that’s a tough question to answer. For both, I just open a weekly chart and look to the left. I guess I would call that a percentage ratio of 50/50.

Wed July 12 US CPI release - to not incorporate thinking on this release would be a disadvantage.
3 possible scenarios - at expected, below or above - expected and likely the next rise is .25 / below and that thought is in jeopardy and obviously above and the shift would be to .50

Since NFP ( a miss) the dollar is being sold - less wage pressure - thus less CPI - so the chances of higher than exp CPI are less?.

It’s good to think ahead of what’s more likely than not - doesn’t mean taking a trade - just means being aware of why and how.

2 Likes

Hi , yes , I believe fundementals are the only reason to take a trade, understanding the cause behind a move in the market is crucial.
I’ve been trading Forex for seven years, I’m happy to answer any questions anyone has.
I hope I can help

I can’t break it down to a percentage, but I do look to my economic calander especially for high volitality events before I enter a short term trade, as opposed to a swing or position trade, for example, I don’t think anyone expected yesterday’s NFP to fall short of consensus when the technical precursors and the news indicated a more healthy NFP rise.

I believe fundamentals move the market, and that technicals, which are primarily lagging, are reactive to market moves, for example, who knows what or when a politician or Fed may or may not do or say that will cause the market to move up or down.
Russia’s invasion of Ukraine is another fine example, as is the COVID pandemic that effectively shut the world down.

I pay attention to both technicals and fundamentals and make best informed balanced trade decisions.

1 Like

Yes, paying attention to fundamentals is necessary for informed trading decisions. It helps understand the underlying factors that drive market movements.

1 Like

yes - can’t argue with that :slight_smile:

still, i think it’s a difficult subject, in one way, because “fundamentals” and “technicals” are really, genuinely, honestly not “two separate things,” but overlapping to a pretty large extent

2 Likes

Happening in a few. Should be interesting!!!

This right here.

Yup. But I just feel like most don’t really pay attention to that overlap (or maybe I’m just speaking for myself lol)

1 Like

No shock then - this game is about chances and often FA can be analysed before the event and summarized into chances.

What good is this if it doesn’t mean a trade? - simple - it will keep a trader out of a bad trade - imagine buying USD yesterday and a tight SL to boot.

The chances of higher cpi were negligible - taking a trade on the basis of it being higher wld be simply gambling.

4 Likes

I try to use both technical and fundamental analysis, as their functionality is different.

1 Like

You should focus on both fundamental and technical factors because I assume fundamental covers 30% whereas technical covers 20%.