Do you think lockdowns really help?

Only when it touches them personally. They’ll need somebody in their family or a friend to catch it and get sick before they understand. But at that point, the situation will be worse off.

I heard Taiwan and New Zealand are doing pretty good in handling the crisis. :open_mouth: I’m not sure if I’ve asked you this, but which country are you from? :smiley: How are things looking there right now? :open_mouth: I hope you stay safe!

Yeah. :confused: Well, a lot of people need to learn stuff the hard way before taking things seriously. :open_mouth: But, I bet this will really change the way we interact with people once the lockdowns and the crisis are over. :open_mouth:

I’m Bulgarian, actually.
As for how things are here - officially we have a little over 700 cases, 200 people in the hospital, 20-something people in the ICU and 32 or 33 casualties. I don’t really trust that official number of cases because we are not really testing enough at all. That said, one can’t miscount the hospitalized people. So far we’re doing sort of well, I guess - our government went into lockdown mode after the first official case because our healthcare system is not nearly as good as the Italian one, and look what happened in Italy. I don’t even want to imagine a similar scenario here.

Some people were very reckless and irresponsible on Palm Sunday (which for us was last Sunday) and will probably be even more reckless on Easter this week, so things may get worse.
What about your country?
And how are you doing?

More probable to get ill from virus is in the supermarket not in the church.I have seen more people not to do the rules in the supermarket or streets.

That’s pretty detailed. :open_mouth: It’s good that you guys also know the number of people in ICUs and all that. :open_mouth: I mean, we just get the total number of cases, deaths, and recoveries. :frowning: Just like you, I don’t trust these numbers. :confused: I’ve heard that a lot of people have been dying without being tested, so I think we won’t really be able to account for all the casualties of Covid-19. :frowning:

We’re still implementing a lockdown. And I’m afraid that the president mentioned that the lockdown won’t be lifted until we find the “cure.” :frowning: Not really sure about which “cure” he’s expecting to find. :thinking: I’m doing okay. Thankfully, we have enough supplies. But I worry for other families who don’t have any supplies or sources of income at the moment. :frowning:

1 Like

You can get it anywhere :frowning: But it just might be best to find an alternative way of attending church. Like, in our compound, the masses are livestreamed. :slight_smile: Makes it easy for people to join even while they’re at home. :slight_smile:

Yes i agree with you. But i don`t think the church should be closed. Sometimes in hard times like this, you need to get in church to pray. It can be done if there are rules.

As I’ve mentioned before, I read the news pretty obsessively so I follow these numbers closely.
As for the cure, I suspect there will be measures in place until we find a vaccine. Maybe not full lockdowns, but there will be measures.
Take care of yourself, ria_rose! I wish you all the best!

1 Like

Yes, they do, if we consider all other old pandemies like plague, cholera and so on even simple flu, it really helps to prevent it all entirely and clearly cause there is no contact no thing like contamination and such. Stay safe, stay at home!

1 Like

Hmm. :thinking: That’s interesting. :open_mouth: I guess it would be okay as long as they still implement social distancing and the other hygiene requirements? :open_mouth: People really need to be careful and follow safety measures. :confused:

Yeah. :open_mouth: There have been talks about “Modified lockdowns” here where only particular areas with a lot of cases would be on lock down. :thinking: :frowning: Still, I hope we get to develop a vaccine soon. And I hope you don’t stress out too much! :frowning: Huhu. Take care too. :slight_smile:

Would have been better if we were able to prevent this right from the start during its emergence in November. :confused: :open_mouth: But yeah. I’m seeing improvements due to the lock downs here. :slight_smile:

There will be a vaccine next year at the earliest, and that is the best case scenario, unfortunately. Even if they manage to make a vaccine before that it’ll be in the experimental stages and it will probably only be given to health workers.

Yeah. :open_mouth: If I understood it correctly, the first batch of trials failed but we’re looking at other candidate vaccines. :open_mouth: I imagine it would be available only to the industrialized countries before enough is produced to ship to third world countries like my country. :confused:

The first trials failed where?
From what I understand the Oxford vaccine trials seem to be doing well so far?

Oh I just got it from the article. :open_mouth: I must have misunderstood. :open_mouth: But I’m glad we’re getting closer to a vaccine now. :smiley: Mass production would be the next concern then once it’s developed. :sweat_smile:

" Meanwhile, results inadvertently released by the WHO showed that the experimental coronavirus treatment remdesivir failed in its first randomized clinical trial."

Vaccines currently going through trials are already being produced so they’d be ready with hundreds of millions of doses once they are approved. The question is whether they will be approved.
I keep hearing contradictory information about Remdesivir - that it has some effect, that it’s failed, that it has some effect, that it has failed, I don’t know which report to believe. :frowning:

Yeah. :frowning: I’m also getting so confused. :confused: I just hope that before they release the product for the use of the public, they’d be sure that it’s safe and effective. :frowning:

1 Like

Same for vaccines.
How I wish people had shut down air travel way back when the Wuhan outbreak became obvious. We could have prevented at least some of the current problems.