Does the high price/low price triggers stop losses?

Hey. As we all know, candlesticks are composed of 4 price points:

• High price
  • Close price
  • Open price
  • Low price

So in order for a stop loss order to be hit, should a high price/low price point be hit ?

If your stop-loss is anywhere within the candlestick range, between its High and its Low, it will be hit and triggered during the course of the candlestickā€™s duration.

2 Likes

Iā€™m pretty sure it depends only on the real body size, not the shadows.

Your stop loss being hit has more to do with the spread than the anatomy of a candlestick bar. If the spread is 3 pips then when price gets to within 3 pips of your stop loss it will get hit.

2 Likes

@QuadPip is right (ish) (except - in theory, itā€™s HALF the spread that the price has to get within- but that is in theory) - itā€™s nothing to do with the ā€œActualā€ (read ā€œAverageā€) price, except that that has to get within a half spread of the SL, or in case of a TP , has to PASS the TP by ā€œhalf a spreadā€ (Theory again) . To understand, you need to look at the ā€˜bidā€™ and ā€˜askā€™ Prices.

Guysā€¦ listen to this man. He knows a thing or two

1 Like

Yeah @tommor is a bright lad and profitable trader, but he trades big timeframes and big stops. The little refinements that @QuadPip and I put in place are not very relevant to him, but Iā€™m sure he will not disagree with those ā€˜refinementsā€™, which become Very important when trading small timeframes and tight stops / TPs. :sunglasses:

Technically you are correct since the bid and ask are on either side of the current market price. However, in practice you will find that the spread widens for a fraction of a second and it gobbles up your stop more often than not. For small spreads it is not worth considering the median price when calculating your stop placement and I did not want to burden a newbie with these details. See the following (so I donā€™t have to explain it in excruciating detail :blush: )

Yup that ā€œGrasping handā€ is a little bugger ! (and highly prized by the ā€˜counterparty brokersā€™ no doubt :wink: )

I did say ā€˜in Theoryā€™ a number of times and I have no axe to grind with someone who trades through ā€˜Dukascopyā€™ - in fact it can get worse than that - I used to spreadbet the DOW (futures) and the typical spread was 14 pips. but in active times, that 14 could get ā€˜ahead of priceā€™ entirely by another 10 or so !

Hereā€™s another distortion which may not be common knowledge, but perhaps should be !

Interesting read, however we are crapping over the OPā€™s thread and worse, probably confusing him with all of this.

@uness as a beginner I would keep to the major pairs and for your immediate purpose consider the entire spread when calculating your stop position. Consider revisiting the threads posted by Falstaff after about 6 months of trading experience to gain the most out of them.

1 Like

Your stop loss is dependent on price action HIGH/LOW/OPEN/CLOSE shows price action at different points during a candlestick. So the answer is yes HIGH/LOW will trigger your stop-loss

1 Like

Yes, the High price/low price will affect your stop loss.

1 Like

Thank you guys for the invaluable support. I understand this now.