Does the MartinGale strategy work?

That’s true: I would be absolutely astonished if even 1% of this forum’s members were making as much as 12% per year from their trading.

1 Like

Have you heard of the phrase something along the lines of 98% of the traders lose money?

Secondly, I have a full time job, not able to stare at charts. I also don’t think I enjoy staring at charts.

Thiry SNP 500 are subjected to market condition, and it has to be invested for a longer period of time. Having 12% is just my first goal at least, I haven’t find a system that works for me till now.

Do you mind sharing your strategy? What is the ROI you have made for the couple of months if not years?

How are you structuring the betting amounts? Increases in size?

If you have access, play Roulette and bet only on a fixed Dozen and stick with it. That’s the game you’re playing here.

I use a custom “grid multiplier” type of system.

Bonds are a fully guaranteed amazing return right now as well!

Buy QQQ or BTC, it’ll yield more than 12% average for sure… once you add DCA to it.

1 Like

It’s too complicated to share succinctly in a forum, and I trade futures anyway, not spot forex, but briefly it’s my own adaptation of an old strategy described in 1995 by Linda Raschke, which she called “Turtle Soup”.

I don’t use time-based charts (measured in minutes/hours etc.). I trade from volume-based bars, which I think are much better, but you can’t do that with CFD’s/spot.

It’s based on the price-action reality that most “break-outs” are actually fake-outs, i.e. they often reverse and turn in the opposite direction to that of the so-called break-out.

The original “turtle strategy” from even more decades ago no longer works, and (as she rightly said in 1995) “any turtles trying this now will get chopped up and turned into turtle soup!”. So she came up with a way of doing the opposite. It’s one of the examples of finding something horribly bad and then doing exactly the opposite. It works well for me.

Don’t ever try to look at any forum information on this. It’s nearly all completely wrong. Most people discussing it in forums (including this one) don’t even understand the connotation of the name ‘turtle soup’ and they imagine that it’s something like the old “turtles strategy,” whereas it’s actually the opposite and is based on the fact that that doesn’t work.

It’s more complicated than I’ve made it sound, of course, but that’s what it’s all based on, anyway.

If I can make about 5% per month out of it, I’m very well pleased, but it varies a lot, of course. In reality an “average of 5% per month” is likely to include monthly returns varying all the way from about -2% to about +12%. But in the long run, if it evens out at about 5% per month, I think that’s very good, and it’s far more than most retail traders manage to make steadily. Even if it isn’t quite as “steadily” as I’d like.

But most important of all, keep away from Martingales and anything similar. That’s a complete waste of your time, and your own learning process will only really start AFTER you realise that.

3 Likes

did you just compare trading risk bitcoin to indexes? :joy: :joy: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I asked your question to Roulette players. They said there’s “cold-chasing” strategies and “hot-chasing” strategies.

For dozens (1:2 Risk Reward) the concesus was “Fibonacci Dozens” Fibonacci Dozens Betting System type of martingale for cold chasing, and “Oscar’s Grind” Wiki on Oscar’s Grind for hot-chasing.

Remaining 2% Traders do not work for 12% a year. Trading is a profession which can be a part time or full time used for Building capital not growing capital.

Your word again proved your in wrong place. You should look for better investment opportunity like ETF, Bonds, Mutual Funds, Index Funds, etc

There are several ETF and Mutual funds which beat Index funds like S & P 500 easily on short time. Index funds are lowest risk possible investment.

You should rethink, why your here. To build Trading as your Part-time or Second career along with your Job or Your looking for Investment plan to grow your money against the inflation which generated from your Job.

The Martingale strategy, which involves doubling your position size after a loss, is highly risky and generally not advisable in forex trading. While it can theoretically recover losses, it can also lead to significant drawdowns and even account blowouts during prolonged losing streaks. Effective risk management and strategies that do not rely on doubling down are typically more sustainable.

I failed to visit the Fib website that you have provided, thanks for your info anyway.
I’ve used my coding knowledge + the help of chatGPT to build a testing system.
I think this is a dumb strategy anyway.

let accountBalance = 5000;
let betSize = 0.5;
let tradeCount = 0;
let consecutiveLosses = 0;
let winCount = 0;
let lossCount = 0;
let maxConsecutiveLosses = 0;
let totalProfits = 0;

function placeBet() {
  if (tradeCount >= 500) {
    console.log("Reached maximum trade count. Trading system stopped.");
    displaySummary();
    return;
  }

if (consecutiveLosses === 0) {
    betSize = 0.5;
  } else {
    betSize *= 2;
  }

if (accountBalance < betSize) {
    console.log("Insufficient account balance. Trading system stopped.");
    displaySummary();
    return;
  }

const isWin = Math.random() < 0.35; // Win rate set to 35%

if (isWin) {
    accountBalance += betSize * 2; // Assuming 1 to 2 risk-reward ratio
    consecutiveLosses = 0;
    winCount++;
    console.log("Trade " + tradeCount + ": Win");
  } else {
    accountBalance -= betSize;
    consecutiveLosses++;
    lossCount++;
    if (consecutiveLosses > maxConsecutiveLosses) {
      maxConsecutiveLosses = consecutiveLosses;
    }
    console.log("Trade " + tradeCount + ": Loss");
  }

totalProfits = accountBalance - 5000;
  tradeCount++;
  updateDisplay();

if (accountBalance <= 0) {
    console.log("Account balance reached $0. Trading system stopped.");
    displaySummary();
  } else {
    placeBet(); // Continue to the next trade
  }
}

function updateDisplay() {
  console.log("Account Balance: $" + accountBalance);
  console.log("Bet Size: $" + betSize);
  console.log("-----------------------------");
}

function displaySummary() {
  console.log("---- Trading Summary ----");
  console.log("Total Trades: " + tradeCount);
  console.log("Winning Trades: " + winCount);
  console.log("Losing Trades: " + lossCount);
  console.log("Highest Consecutive Losses: " + maxConsecutiveLosses);
  console.log("Total Profits: $" + totalProfits);
  console.log("-------------------------");
}

// Start the trading system
placeBet();

Wow, I plugged that in and it’s still trading ++

1 Like

Lol … how’s it doing, overall? :smiley:

Not bad. About 10% a month so far. I’ll put it up on the MQL5 marketplace once it’s ready. $_$

1 Like

this is too much risk. this can save you in a lot of position but it can also blow your account. I would not do that.

Lol :slight_smile:
15 consecutive losses will blow the entire account.
Unless you have a strategy that has a good win rate that will never make you lose 15 times in a row.

The way to avoid consecutive losing runs is to have a smaller R, obviously. On institutional trading floors, something close to 0.7 R is fairly standard (or at least very common) among intraday traders.

Yes it does work but just remember the less amount of pips or the lower the time frames, less forgiveness you have. It’s very hard to bounce back, break even or turn profit with little room to work with.

According to your strategy it sounds like your 10 trades (if they went against you) would all happen within 100 pips. You would be risking more than 1% in that case.

I use a variation of the Martin Gayle system but it’s a swing system which allows price to believe. Biggest take away is you still need market and personal psychology. You need to understand what the overall trend is doing, where traders are, where institutions are, where’s liquidity, trend lines, SR and what the fundamentals are currently. Although price goes up and down, it doesn’t make a straight path to it’s destination. Having more information helps with this strategy.

2 Likes

To believe that Martin Gayle himself is also trading it, maybe? :joy:

Which allows price to breathe*

1 Like