Don’t Let Uncertainty Affect Your Trading!

The past couple of years have been nothing but one curveball after another.

With the threats of the pandemic, war, and a global economic crisis still looming, uncertainty is all around us – never more so than today! And for me and many of my trader friends out there, uncertainty is an environment we know all too well.

This brings me back to an interview with my old friend, @TalonD, from years ago. Amongst the abundance of wisdom shared in that interview, there was one piece of treasure that continues to hold true with every trader, whether they realize it or not:

“The only thing you can know for certain is that you can’t know anything for certain.”

As we continue into a world with unsteady global economic recovery, and constantly shifting investor sentiment, what are some of the things we can do to prevent uncertainty from crippling us with fear?

11 Likes

Uncertainty isn’t something to run away from. It’s an opportunity for trader’s like us to practice and be consistent.

2 Likes

Since I was mentioned and got a notification I feel I should respond with something profound but can’t really think of anything :smiley:
I have a head full of useless trivia and quotations.
“We have nothing to fear but fear itself” -FDR
“Embrace the suck” -Appalachian Trail Through hiker
“You can’t sometimes never tell what to least expect the most” -WDC
Trading is filled with uncertainty so it’s best to go with probabilities, maybe life is like that too.
You mention pandemic and war, well the Chinese virus has a 98+% survival rate, I got vaccinated by the live virus and the virus did not survive and Ukraine is whooping up on the Russians amazingly so things are never as bad as they seem.

7 Likes

Forex is all about probabilities; & here I follow the money management rule so tightly besides, my technical knowledge helps me a lot!

2 Likes

Not just trading, but life is uncertain as well, so should I stop breathing? Of course not, trading is uncertain, it was like this from day 1, those who are trading must know how much to risk and when to pull out.

And, since you’ve mentioned the Russia-Ukraine war, I’d like to mention the latest update on the same that the Russian troops have pulled out of Kherson.

2 Likes

To find out what to do in uncertain times, its often appropriate to take a look at the majors’ charts. The people with the best idea of what uncertainty will bring are the people employed by the biggest financial institutions in the world. They do better analysis than any of us ever could, and their employers act on it. We see what the big players decided to do about uncertainty from the charts.

If you’re uncertain, the charts will certainly tell you with certainty if there is any uncertainty about.

3 Likes

I think it’s an attempt at a trap but Ukraine won’t fall for it. For a country that was supposedly one of the three super power of the world Russia is sure getting their butts whupped. Apparently they don’t know how to use a stoploss. heh

3 Likes

When we saw that Russian forces had not taken Kiev within the first 3 days, that was the sign they were going to fail.

Another trading parallel - its like when you open a long position and price immediately falls, making 3 days of successively lower closes.

2 Likes

Hahaha, that stoploss joke is savage🤣Russian government and military have made a mockery of their reputation. Ukraine despite having a comedian as a president has shown great resilience. Salute to them! Do you see this war coming to an end or is it going to continue?

1 Like

I love this one

Dear @tommor beware that your joke has been hijack by the federal government of Pips Darwin and definitely he is going to use it as his. :rofl: :joy:
LMAO

An article/ interview from 2011 is best valid in 2022, Wow. Thank you for sharing it here.

1 Like

Apparently value is always seek-for and auto-revived for the new.

Ambiguity shocks lead investors to trade more and to trade out of risky securities

I think that although we all know that uncertainty is part of trading and life in general, there are moments when it just gets overwhelming. :sweat_smile: I would know since I go through it quite often. :sweat_smile: This was a good read, and reading the replies was also nice. :smiley: At least I know I’m not the only one going through these kinds of things. :sweat_smile:

And @TalonD is here!

You should always analyze the chart and try your best to follow the risk management strategies to prevent uncertainty from affecting your trading.

I completely agree with what you said. We all know what is right and wrong, but sometimes we all get this overwhelming amount of anxiety.
All I do at such times is take deep breath in and deep breath out.

What we can do basically increasing our own trading skill; and we have to believe, there is nothing like 100% in Forex!