Easy 5 minute Trading

So if I’m manually trading this daily system, I should use 40 pips as the minimum from fib level 0.0 to fib level 100.0
If there are less than 40 pips between 0.0 and 100.0 don’t trade that candle?

Do you leave your positions opened ( the ones that have not yet reached the target) over the weekend or do you close them on Friday? I heard it’s not good to leave anything opened over the weekend!

This is what we use, but feel free to try a different amount, if you do please let us know the results

That is true what you have said, the idea is that the EA will close profitable positions before the weekend, but it is upto you, at least you can rest if you close them before the close of friday.

I’m manual trading.

I might have entered these trades because i’m not using the 40 pip limit.

I’m out of town. I got back on to check the charts. Looks like if the news didn’t wipe me out, I’d be rolling in it.

My usd/cad filter told me not to long, looks like it worked. This was yesterday mind you. Couldn’t trade today.

I accidentally closed out my gbp/usd, because I entered the wrong price when moving SL. I was so mad at myself.

Hmm, after looking at the charts I’m pissed I had to leave town. The trades today would have more than made up for my loss.

I thought the same today would of been a good day I had one trade that was about +80 pips early so today was a good day if I hasn’t been mucking around with the EA and caught those trades earlier

New version: 18

Ok, so that 5 minute thing has been removed.

I have settings for comments and debug statements true/false which are default on false now, the last two settings in the list

So, you won’t see any writing on the chart, unless you turn on one of these settings. It backtest fast with them off, and slow with them on.

Will be interesting to see if the Friday trade close setting works as planned. You’ll see the setting for whatever time you think you want the trades to close, according to UTC/GMT time, (not local time or EST). And it won’t open anymore trades after that time.

I made the fib “stretch line” (what is that thing called?) a thick solid line in the same color as the Fib, so you can see which one of the damn things you need to double click and grab if you want to move it around for some reason.

I think that’s about it.

I added a “traditional” trailing stop option (true/false) and setting for it, for those that wondered if it would net more profit. Test away.

By the way, had 5 winning trades today, 52.7 pips, no losses, with one open trade, up 95 pips net USDCAD. But I’ve noticed the big ones always seem to shrink back to just a few before closing. We’re going to have to figure a way to keep them. Maybe just smaller TP. Not sure.

But can’t complain, it’s making profit, nonetheless.

Wicks_ea_v18a.zip (10.4 KB)

What about adding additional fib lines for ALl into the mix maybe at fib levels 250 and 350? Not sure if that would work but your EA is secondly worth the time you put into it thanks!!

Or what, if we use a trailing stop when the profit hits a certain fib level?

Yeah, those are possibilities. Adding the second one is the easiest. 2 minutes. The first one, additional fibs, will take some extra code to do.

But, in a way, you have the second one now, with the BreakEven pips size, because the trailing stop will not start working unitl it has passed the BreakEvenPips setting.

So that could by your “minimum profit”.
Additional fibs is probably a good idea as well. Will ponder how to do it in settings. Maybe a setting for “Number of fib lines=x” then a bunch of settings, say up to 6 for max 6 fib lines, and whatever number you set, example 4, then it will just read the first 4 settings…and ignore the last two.

If you add extra fib levels what about something like this for each extra level so people can trade the original strategy or with the extra fun lines:

Fib250=true/false

Thinking about it now I’m not sure about taking stop as wigglez did not not have luck with it perhaps we should think about it and analyse the charts before you code it to see if the extra fib levels are good? Were can test the trailing stop idea next week add that’s already in the EA

The problem we have at the moment is when the 300 Fib level is hit our SL goes to the 200 Fib level, at this point our profit will either be the 200 Fib for SL or 400 Fib for TP, no inbetween, i propose two possibilities:

23.2 = Initial SL
110 = Entry
131.8 = Breakeven

From 200 and above we change it to: 200, 250, 300, 250 and 400 Fib levels or 200, 275, 350 and 400?

This is an initial thought, any ideas anyone ?

Just finished it. Its like this:

Fib_SL_Levels_max6 = 3;
SL_Level1_Fib_Pct = 161.8;
SL_Level2_Fib_Pct = 200;
SL_Level3_Fib_Pct = 300;
SL_Level4_Fib_Pct = 0;
SL_Level5_Fib_Pct = 0;
SL_Level6_Fib_Pct = 0;
TP_Fib_Pct = 400;

So you set the settings for however many levels you specify. The rest are ignored.
On quick backtest, it doesn’t look like there’s room for much more than the original system calls for, but you can test it out to see.

So you still have to set the SL, Entry, BE, and TP as before, then the stoplevels are the adjustable ones 1-6.

I’m currently getting OrderModification errors if you put BE_Profit to zero, so will work on that issue, then post new version with multiple SL steps.

And a TrailingStop MinProfitPips_to_start in hte code for the standard Trailing stop settings

Thanks for adding this, we just now need to test to see if having a few extra Fib levels does help us lock in profits at higher levels :slight_smile:

SB - Are you trading only the pairs shown in your post 380 or are these only the ones that triggered. I intend to start this next week. Normally I would test all major pairs to try and sort things out for any one method. Some will come out because of spread or inactivity like the the E/Chf which is a bit of a fright at times. As I recall Windsor thought any pair was OK but at this moment I haven’t poured back thru the thread to see if there was a developing preference.

Would appreciate your comments to save a little time. This is one of four systems I will trade this week - sometimes a bind to remember everything without a hard copy check.
Thanks and regards,
AltosT

I have been testing on eurusd , gbpusd, audusd, audcad and usdcad this was only as I think it was Windsor recommended these pairs.

Not everyone is trading these pairs only. I am only sticking to these pairs so I could test the strategy manually and the EA as if I’m jumping between pairs I can’t be certain which I should use.

From what I can tell this strategy should work with Any pair (including the EA) if you find any pairs we should avoid or should trade please let us know

Thanks

Ok, here’s version 19.

Added the “Multiple Fib” add-ons. Default is like we’ve been using all along. I gave it a shot with all six, and the fib gets pretty crowded. I don’t think it will serve us much. Maybe one more to fill the big gaps between 200-300-400 like 200-268-316-400. or could push 400 to 500. I don’t know… will leave it up to all you backtester/forward/live testers to check it out.

Added Minimum Pips Profit to the “Standard Trailing Stop” so it won’t go into effect before stated number of pips. I have not backtested this setting.

Changed the Friday close to a simple Hour designation, and during live trading/forward demo trading, I just compare the hour of your local time with the hour you put in the setting, and on friday, when the local time hour is equal or greater thanthe hour you specify, it “should” close your trades. Not going to get into the minutes rigth now. If this works correctly, we can expand on it. Mine didn’t close friday, not sure why. I stopped use of the auto_GMT function.

I added a setting for 2X_SL_For_TP, for anyone that wants to automatically make the TakeProfit 2x the distance from Entry to Stoploss. This is a method recommended by many to make sure you profit ration is good. Of course, it won’t expecially apply, since we’re taking trailing stops along the way. Whatever…:wink:

Wicks_ea_v19a.zip (11 KB)

Probably simpler and easier on you to code a set fixed exit hour on Friday that were can set. Easy !

Having the mins set I would not say is nessasry unless someone disagrees coming out of trades 1 hour before end of market on the Fri is fine for me :slight_smile:

Thanks James

Hah ! My trades close on Saturday. Market closes 0600 Australian EST Saturday.

I must be clicking something wrong on the EA, because I tested so far 2012, and only the EURUSD pair was profitable

Lately, I’m having the same results on backtesting. But on live, it seems like every pair is making profit. Can’t figure out the difference. Maybe its just too soon on live to see the “bad days”.

Mitchell and SandyBeach have been getting better backtest results/ When I first started the EA it seemed to get better results. Thing is the current EA will still produce the same trading specifications. But the earlier versions had mistakes, that must have somehow caused it to work better. Not sure.

I’ll let Mitchell and SandyBeach determine the best settings.

It may just, be that the backtesting sucks? What I mean is that my4 is not always great for back testing but Mitchell is besay to comment on that.

Also the rather EA versions missed a number of trades. I have v18 on my charts so you see what happens next week in my fxbook

Also an important point the much earlier EA versions had bugs which meant they did not trade the strategy 100% (which James has now fixed) since were don’t know how the EA was trading since it was doing its own thing its impossible to get an idea of how good or bad the EA is.

Now we know the EA is 199% sure the EA its following the rules were can all safely tweak and test the EA knowing that were get the same results which would explain why James got a nice 96 pip trade yet mine was only about 20 pips.

Let’s concentrate on going forward once we have had a few days of forward testing were will really see the truth behind this EA. My gut tells me it will be profitable going forward and we just need to see what are the best settings to use as well as if we can find a way to lock in higher levels of profit between the 200 and 400 fib levels, byurt first let’s let the EA run under the original rules since we have not properly forward tested it since James fixed all those bugs, if we still Miss out on profit we can all experiment in our own and report back the results as James has just kindly built in all the options we need unless someone else has a better idea?

How is the EA doing live for you? Your trading me now knowing I can’t trade live lol :wink:

Don’t worry too much about that. Give the EA one week for a forward test on demo then your get an idea of how the EA operates, the manual strategy works well from those who are trading it so logic says if the EA does what the Manual guys do 100% then it should be reliable.