Easy 5 minute Trading

you guys having luck trading sunday evening when the market opens?

I’m going to start posting my filtered trades. I’m not sure how it would work with fridays and sunday evenings candle.

I’ll be on my way home when the market opens, but I’m still going to try and trade.

I think my EA’a on the daily chart will.

Also can everyone make a note of if you have losses when there is a major news release just, noticed Wigglez had some losses on these days. May, be nothing but just, want to see if there is any correlation between the two

Thanks

Oh, I forgot to mention a feature I incorporated, and accidentally left it turned on (true) by default.

It is regarding the minimum Fibo_Pip_Size: "Use_ATR_for_fibo_size = True/False"
So it automatically adjusts the minimum_fibo_pip_size to the Average True Range (14) of the chart at the moment.
Brilliant, huh?? No applause, please.

It seems to improve backtest results. But to run the EA at original specifications, you need to set that False and set the minimum fibo size to whatever you think is best.

Nice I was trying to figure a way to use atr for the trailing stop, but it just doesn’t seem to line up right. The fib size is genius. :slight_smile:

Well, I got ahead of myself. That feature is in the one I’m working on now, v20. Thought it was already in v19
Sorry, coming soon.

Regarding a mention of trading with news: personally, with trading Daily charts, I think a lot of the news fluctuation gets absorbed in the larger candles. However, for the news Bernaki gave recently, causing major swings across the board, it only helped our trades. Guess it could have gone the other way. So the question is: how often will the news boost your profits, and how often will it cause losses? It might pan out to net profit, who knows.

About the ATR, I’m going to add an option to base all the “fib levels” on multiples of ATR instead of hard fib numbers. Will see how that pans out.

Something we should note on paper and see over time if we need a news filter otherwise we could be shooting ourselves in the foot plus the original strategy never had this so not sure if that would aid or hinder us? Anyone avoiding trading major news releases with this strategy?

Just remember news doesn’t usually completely reverse the price unless it was headed that way shortly, news usually just goes with the flow, unless of course its a country announcing its bankruptcy, that may cause some issues :stuck_out_tongue:

Meaning it should usually go WITH the trades that are in place, of course I got stopped out by news last week, but that only happens about 1 out of 10 times :slight_smile:

Here is v20.

I it is set default to the standard rules.

What’s added (set to false by default):

1. A close all trades on the platfrom if NET pips = 500 (you specify) (Figure I’m tired of having nice net pips and having it all retrace to small amounts. This has not been tested on multiple trades because backtest can only test one pair at a time. But it optimized at 600.

2. Use ATR for the Minimum Fib pips True/False with an ATR Ratio setting. I got best resuls using ratio of 1.3 at first, then later, at 0.4. So, there is no conclusion if this is good or bad yet.

3. Use ATR for the Fib Step Trailing StopLoss settings. It uses the same percentage numbers as the fib settings, but when USE_ATR is true, those numbers are the percent of the ATR size for the Step_stop levels. Again, had good results at 3.5, then more recent at 0.5. Problem is the spread changes over the weekend affect results a lot too.

One issue is I’m getting VERRRRYY different settings for different pairs. Especially JPY pairs. So not sure if we will ever get one setting across the board for all pairs. We may have to start an excel spreadsheet for the best settings per pair.

Once calculated, this could actually be put into a text file that could be loaded from the settings load button. But that is down the road.

good luck.

One more thing, if you see this NOT behaving as expected for default, or any settings, please let me know. there’s always the chance of screwing up previously good behavior with new code.

thanks.

Wicks_ea_v20a.zip (11.3 KB)

There seems to be an issue with the automatic lot size calculator when it comes to jpy pairs. Mine just opened up a lot size that is about 10 X what it should have been on usdjpy.

So, use fixed lots on all jpy pairs, I suggest, until I can see what the %#$$ the probem is.

short usd/chf - favorable
long aud/usd - favorable this one could be interesting, it seems to be coming up on resistance. I have my doubts about this trade. Might not hit the entry though.

long aud/cad - favorable, with resistance…
short usd/cad - unfavorable
long gbp/usd - favorable, looks like some resistance

The new EA, with some settings changed (UseATR for both items, fib size= 0.4, and fibsettings=0.3) have

pending long(s)

audcad
audusd
eurjpy
eurusd
gbpusd
usdjpy

pending short:

gbpchf
– chart and debug look good for usdchf, but the trade isn’t open.

the rogue high-lot long usdjpy trade took a dive and I manually closed it. Cost me $33.20 Almost 10% of my meager little $420 account, now $387 (:

I think I know what happened. I have a wierd account, called Notional with ILQ (similar to nano with othe brokers). Because I can’t get accurate lotsize calcs on the weekends, I have to manually set my risk to 2000 and max lots to 30000 (basically 100000x normal settings. I think I didn’t change this back when live trading opened, not sure.
Because I have two jpy trades open now using the 1% risk and have proper lotsize of about 0.01 with 15 pip sl and 0.005 on 30 pip sl

I kept wondering why I was getting Close All Trades with 600 pips as optimal setting. Couldn’t imagine any of the trades hitting 600 pips. Found I was double counting long trades. When I made a code change, didn’t remove one line. Should be more realistic now. If you decide to use it.

I think jpy pairs have a different price size maybe this is screwing it up?

Well, one thing for sure is that the profit calculations are not accounting for the cost of commission. Since I don’t have commission on my broker, I forget to add it in for others.

Guess that’s version 22 coming next.

However for the time being, you can add in whatever the commission is to the BreakEven amount, usually less than 1 pip.

the jpy pairs having only 3 digits (used to be 2) should not screw anything up, because all the calcs are based on pips and percentage of the pair that the EA is on. It’s not mixing 3 and 5 digit calculations.

I found erros in how I calculated the OpenTradePips , could close trades you don’t wish closed. I removed the updload of version 21a, and am replacing with 22a.

My apologies.

Also I added the calculaiton for those with commissions so if you put BE at 0 you should show actually a BE price = to your commission. Not sure it this needs to be doubled because commission is paid going in and coming out of the trade. Need to test to see if the built in function “OrderCommission()” gives the full “round trip” commission, or just the one direction.

Those with commission, please take note and let me know if this needs adjustment.

Wicks_ea_v22a.zip (11.5 KB)

Sorry James that, was what, I was trying to say

No problem.

Hope you can get this to back test to some good results. I’m not having encouraging results. All the added “options” don’t seem “durable” in many situations. Can get them to backtest well in one situaiton, then work against me in others. For example, testing from 2007 eurusd, really liked the ATR settings low, around 0.4, but testing from Jan-Sep 2012, Higher settings 1 to 3 are better. I get no consistency.

Most important next to profit, is that it does what you expect with each different setting. So I know the code is working properly.

good luck, wil be watching for feedback.