Easy 5 minute Trading

long usd/chf - neither
short aud/usd - neither
short aud/cad - neither, fib size too small
long usd/cad - favorable
short gbp/usd - neither

Yes I have had pending trades and executed trades across the daily and h4 charts. For me at least the EA is working.

Does your journal or experts tab next to the journal give any error messages or anything that looks odd?

Heya how has your custom filter working for you?

Also if you want i can set up multiple instances of MT4 and forward test James EA with different fib sizes if you have a few you want me to setup so we can compare the results ?

Hi James / Mitchell, with regards to Mitchell’s problem with the EA i have been having this message popping up when compiling the EA, i did not think anything of it and it has not stopped the EA trading for me, so i doubt this is an issue and just one of your future additions, could it be causing any problems ?

Compiling ‘Wicks_ea_v24a.mq4’…
Function “TradingConditions” is not referenced and will be removed from exp-file
0 error(s), 1 warning(s)

SB, thanks for the heads up; however, its just an unused function that does not get compiled into the executable code. Is not a problem. Not an error.

I moved the code from inside the function to run from the start because trades were getting skipped. For some reason, the function wasn’t returning the results in the correct time sequence.

No problem I thought that was the case :slight_smile: I’m curious what it its causing Mitchell’s problem I can’t find anything in the EA code or any odd behavior from the EA that might explain this.

I saw that same message. I did some customising of variables and display but ended up with the EA not functioning. I discovered there is a problem using an EA in a template used to set up many charts and so reverted to doing each one individually. I was hoping to see if the EA would close trades one hour before market close (which is 0600 Saturday for me)as it looks like such a function may be coded in, I didn’t get an answer on that one, :frowning: but we had a lightening strike here at 1500 hrs which took out my modem, router, switch, PC network hardware and caused me a few headaches to get back on line with a spare Cisco. So I don’t get to see what happened. I have redundancies on other machines and was going to duplicate some demo accounts this weekend but just didn’t get to it today. Next weeks market close maybe. The EA is functioning as it should and so far has been solid. I just hope the method proves to be successful.

Glad the EA is working for you. Could you elaborate about template problem and share any screenshots and upload a zip file of the EA with any set files and give us some step by stop instructions so we can try to replicate this issue and pinpoint the problem.

Out of interest what currency pairs are you trading with?

I do agree the EA rocks as long add the strategy holds solid.

Sorry to hear about your computer issues happy trading.

…eh

I think it’s kept me out of one bad trade. Still need minimum fib sizes. I believe mitchell already backtested different fib sizes and found 40 to be best.

I justed the “Close all trades on Friday” = True with my local time hour set to 13. It is currently 13:10 and it closed all my pending trades as it was supposed to. I did get some TradeContextBusy, but it persisted and eventually closed them all. Maybe I will modify the code to accommodate the TradeContestBusy on closing trades as I did on opening trades.

Hi Jim, really sorry to keep hounding you on this one but I have the feeling you are missing my point. I did notice some code that said something like "If present time > than UTC then *********** can’t remember. That gave me some cause for hope it might function and so I set my time, being in Australia, for 0500. It had to show as Friday but I was hoping it may work Saturday morning an hour before NY market close. Then some time later when everything was going nicely I had the lightning strike and that was the end of that for the day. I had issues other than demo accounts to see to.

Sandy, I’ll get back to you on the pairs. It is most of the standard ones - maybe 16 or so. Some go out as spread is too high a % of daily atr, others go out because I don’t like the type of price action but I’ll get back to you. I am running two setups. One on FXPro with only one decimal and another on XE Markets with two decimal on the lot sizing. Shouldn’t make any difference but stranger things happen. It also checks the EA 23a against 24a.
Cheers.

would it be simpler if James added an option to close all trades on Saturday? maybe this would be a simple solution?

let me know what you find on the spread. at the moment i don’t let the EA enter trades if the spread is over 8 pips.

let me know how you get on with those other currency pairs. I’m thinking to get us at least a few trades or 1 a day is if we trade maybe 6 - 8 pairs but we limit the EA to only exciting a Max of 3/4 trades for safety. it would be nice to know which of the 16 give the best results.

How are you finding the JPY pairs?

that code re: UTC was old, from the AutoGMT function. I commented the whole section on AutoGMT out because it didn’t work, but I have not tried testing it again.

v24 has this code re: closing trades on Friday:

if(TimeDayOfWeek(Time[0])==5 && (CloseAllTradesOnFriday || CloseWinnersOnFriday))
{
if(TimeHour(TimeLocal())>=Local_Hour_To_Close_Friday)
{

this is what is in v24.

For you, you say markets close at 06 Sat, so you would have to change it to

if(TimeDayOfWeek(Time[0])==6 && (CloseAllTradesOnFriday || CloseWinnersOnFriday))
{
if(TimeHour(TimeLocal())>=5)
{

Sorry if I still don’t understand what you are getting at.

Hi guys, just a quick one, i have created two new MT4 accounts for forward testing James EA on the H4 and daily charts.

The reason for this is as James was building the EA rapidly i updated it as we went along and sometimes i forgot to change some settings so i didn’t get trades or instead of only trading 0.01 lots i traded using the risk which i meant to switch off for this testing.

Old charts are still visible from the 10th to 21st of Sep and then the new accounts will start off on the 24th monday. All the accounts are viewable by the public so you don’t need to sign up to myfxbook to view these accounts and i recommend book marking this link rather than the link for each EA as if i create new accounts for testing your see them when you next go to the site.

sandybeach’s Profile | Myfxbook

By the look of that I am sure you have it. I have been head down on multiple computers today and I am pooped looking at screens. I will check that code on my Monday morning and see if I can insert.

Sandy, likewise, I will address FX and pairs Monday morning (Market open)

Just as a general thought guys, my lightning damage was to my copper connected equipment. I am going to keep wireless redundancies in order to avoid, insofar as I can, losing the lot from a lightening strike. I can swap a modem in a few minutes but if my PC network cards go out, that’s a bigger problem and if there is money on the line, very undesirable. I am in Brisbane Australia and we are just coming into summer where we can get quite good storms. This is only the third time I have been taken out by lightening in 28 years but I think steps to avoid it are in order.
Cheers guys.

Just a suggestion but look at surge protetion plugs

should help thats wha t i use now.after my first,li lightning strike many years ago

or something like:

should help to give you enough power and protect you through those strikes

short usd/chf - neither
long aud/usd - neither
long aud/cad - neither
short usd/cad - neither, fib too small
long gpb/usd - neither

tell me about it was hoping for some trades today but the EA is doing the same as you no trades. But this is better than losses in my book.

? that neither is for my filter. it means not really for it or against it. The only one I didn’t enter was usd/cad because the fib was too small

As far as I can tell, EA is still fudging up. It will maybe only place 1 or 2 trades at a time (some times wrong for some reason). Also, every time I close and open my mt4, more trades will place.

Mitchell, are you using version 24? It’s been pretty stable re: closing/opening the platform. I do have one trade that entered beyond the entry fib for some reason. The rest are pretty much right on. There’s always a small difference on the long entry and the fib due to Spread difference. The Fib entry is based on bid prices, but long entries are taken at Ask prices, so the BuyStop will be slightly higher than the entry fib.

One other possibility on the other trades showing up on re-open mt4. If you have Non-Hedging = true, it will eliminate opposing trades, but there are still good setups for opposing trades. So if you close and reopen, might just be timing that either opens a long or a short on a chart with both as valid entries.
I have NonHedging set to false, and therefore have several charts with both BuyStop and SellStop on the same chart. Just a matter of which way the price goes as to what gets opened. Sometimes both.

Having said that, my last few trades have been breakeven (usually -$0.15 or something) or losers…on 9/18, gbpcad - 3.87 and repeat trade gbpcad -$3.90 again, 9/20 gbpcad -$1.18 and 9/19 gbpcad yet again -$0.35 and its currently in a trade, -26 pips. Hmm… I just removed gbpcad from my charts, having realized it usually loses.