Easy 5 minute Trading

which one did you go live with, the daily or 4h

I went with the H4 chart. I feel either are good to go with, i just prefer the feel of the H4, but i probably wont go back to live until everything in New York and the brokers has settled down and damaged systems restored.

Buy a Sea Kayak and come on over. :slight_smile:

Lol love the photo… you have to have balls of steel to sit there and keep calm !

Hi guys, just thought i would give a quick update regarding the Wicks EA, i have wondered for a while how the EA would perform if we have a major holiday which would involve the closing of the New York or London markets.

Well with regard to the terrible events in New York and my best wishes goes out to all those unfortunate souls the EA did act quite erratic and i did have more losses and bigger ones than usual.

(you can see it all on myfxbook account)

It does look like when it comes to bank holidays and major events which prevent trading we should be turning off the EA. I know this is obvious but i only say this as i know some traders have some strategies which run right through bank holidays and even christmas and new years like they are just ordinary days !

But so far so good.

All the best to everyone in New York and those affected by the hurricane.

Hi Sandy / Jim.
This week I have started 24c on 5 platforms on 5 machines as I decided to try and eliminate all functional problems at my end after the bad run I have had with Pepper. In the course of loading things I noticed a lot of screen flicker on Vantage FX. I found the Wicks 24c and my normal ATR utility which displays several ATR aspects and importantly pip value and spread, seemed to be fighting each other for screen dominance. Figuring they are both trying to make various calculations on the same data I have now removed same from all platforms and seemingly, thus far, vastly improved Journal Errors so am hoping for a better run than I have been having. Pepperstone are looking much better.

Have also started a four hour trial on Vantage which seems to be good. Currently using Min Fib of 7 pips which is probably a bit short but should cause things to move along and let me see any problems. With a new install of any broker I run a “Force Load Historical Data” script to get maximum broker history. Very often the feed reliability is poor, doing this with FXPro being sometimes very bad. 200 k lumps and have to re-start. Both Vantage and GoMarkets loaded really well, running without interuption to around 10,000 k of history, this over and above anything that loads on initial install. GoMarkets have reset their server to GMT + 2 which gets rid of that Sunday bar aberration and so now usable.

Contemplating some of the above I realized that there are some traps. Despite using mostly Australian brokers I note the servers are frequently not in Australia at all. FXPro being in Singapore and goodness knows what else. I am about to search for a utility that will allow me to monitor broker server response time and reliability. Journal files show frequent logins which are not time related to each other and so not line faults at my end.

Well, few more days and the market may start to move more normally. US elections will be over, gawd knows what that will bring. Good hunting this week - let’s see what happens.

Cool thanks for update alsto have u tried hotforex?

same here with the market im leaving it till things calm down a bit

No, have not tried Hot FX. Am somewhat interested in what reciprocal taxation arrangements Mauritius may have. Could be interesting but I will leave for the moment.

altostrader, can I please get a copy of that script. Would be very helpful.

Thanks.

Sure - no problem - attached. All seems to be running much better this week.
Cheers.

Historic.zip (1.93 KB)

thank you for that. I think even that will not solve my issue with ILQ that carries little historic data on its server. Example, GBPUSD only has data back to April on H1 chart after runnign the script.

Yeah, I sometimes wonder if some only have a 250GB drive to run their entire show. Web pages, accounting, ads. and all. Maybe if you try Google and search for “MT4 broker has the most data” or something. I have, over the years seen this discussed in various forums but don’t recall just where. Prob. FF tho’. If memory serves, you can get historical from the likes of eSignal and a few others.
I thought Pepperstone were going well but looking at the Journal again it is full of problems. Gomarket and Vantage have clean Journal records with scarcely any problems, Pepper bad again. Funny though, when I last looked Pepper were showing about same profit level so . . . . . . . .

Yes, I have found sources of data that you can import, and use. However, a) what a pain in the butt when the broker should have sufficient data for backtesting and b) the data downloaded may or may not be good data, and may or may not match your broker’s price action.

Bottom line, it’s a lot of work just to backtest something. If I really need it, I just use an Alpari, FXDD or some such demo platform that has years of data.

I just hoped the scropt would somehow force the broker servers to come up with some extra data somehow. Was worth a try.

Thanks.

Hi Guys - Pepper AU has been playing up again so this morning I have taken the same account to a different machine and installed another US based Pepper server account alongside it.
First interesting thing, big problems loading historical data on AU server. Stops and starts, like pulling teeth. Got about 2500 k over a period with many missing. Daily data back to 2004 but at a glance, little else. The US server loaded untouched at ~ 10 times the speed. Ping to the US Demo is about 600 ms and to the (supposedly) Au one about 500 ms. That don’t look right to me. The Real servers are better but I am coming to the conclusion that if a demo server is dodgy it reflects a brokers QC and I want to see demos running near as good as Real. Takes me back to running a penny account instead but maybe that should be step 2 not 1.

The only reason I am raising this is to draw other readers attention to the quality of their broker feeds. Pepper AU is full of errors and problems and would you believe [market is closed] warnings in the middle of the day. The US one I don’t know yet as only started 15 minutes ago.

Jim, what server is your Pepper account running on ?

I’ll let you know how things shape up at the end of the week

My Pepperstone demo is from AU.

PepperDemo.zip (29.8 KB)

Ahh ! No, sorry. That does not tell you which server you are connecting with. That is just the corporate info.

You can either double click on the account number in Navigator or right click on the little connected icon in bottom right of screen. Aussie server is “Pepperstone Demo” or USA server is “Pepperstone Demo USA 1” or similar. I am betting you are on USA server.

If I do that on, say FXPro, I get FXPro Cypruss etc but if I check the server I see it is in Demo 1 DC3 which I believe is Singapore.

“Pepperstone Demo”

PepperDemo2.zip (24.5 KB)

Is this thread still alive?

Yep were still here :slight_smile:

Not a good week last week to be sampling anything really but things did all roll on. I am currently running 24c on 20 - 21 pairs depending on broker. Most lost money last week but one returned a small profit. This method is too discretional for my liking. It would be good in a trending period but easily loses with small ranging. I am letting it run again this week on many brokers just for the hell of it but probably call it a day at weeks end. My four hour did badly. Still too many connection problems with some brokers yet much less with others. Best last week was XE in Cyprus, worst was Pepper in AU - and I’m in AU. If I get similar results this week I will continue with just the best single platform and look at possible setting changes.