F*** Boris March

Agreed - They seems to get TWO votes - One in matters which do concern them which they do through their “devolved” Assembly - THEN they get to vote on “stuff” which is OUR business - I think the votes by the “devolved countries” do need to be re-thought somewhat.

I have to say I have wondered just exactly they would do - IF we just said “ok bugger off then” to them ! - What sort of a “Trade deal” would they want to do with US - I wonder ?

There was a phone call last night between Macron and Johnson - judging by the text released today - well it’s self explanatory:

Dear Donald,

But in case Parliament resists this too (the PM’s push for a GE) I would urge EU member states to make clear that a further extension beyong Jan 31st is not possible. This is plenty of time to ratify our deal.

The PM finishes off by hoping that “we can put this difficult period behind us, and move on …and beginning the negotiations on the future Free Trade Agreement”

The EU have already set up the new Task Force for these FTA talks, it’s head will be none other than a certain Michel Barnier.

The one thing to note is the PM’s reference to a FTA.

I’d hazard a guess that many in the SNP find it slightly nauseating that the UK is taking Scotland out of the EU against the wishes of the majority of Scots :slight_smile:

Well both of those are demonstrable BSers - ! (Who’s “Donald” btw? )

DearDonald

In the context of your post ?

Dear Donald - not Dear Mr President because the PM hand wrote it (less formal).

He did the same with the number 2, more personal letter as posted up above whereas the legalistic letter number 1 was Dear Mr President - just the PM’s way I guess.

Ah - I think we have a communications issue here - is Macrons name “Donald” then ? - I know “Tusk” is - so that’s why it seemd odd in the context of a comm between BJ and Macron.

They always have the option.

1 Like

Ah - now i understand the confusion - sometimes typing is too slow for me.

Macron and Johnson actually get on together much better that T. May but Macron was far from happy last time re an extension and even more so this time.

The phone call between the 2 on Sunday night was significant, Macron’s Flexextension helps Johnson in that it can be used to help pressure MP’s to get the job done, so likely the call was amicable - just like the letter from the PM to Donald Tusk next day (and copied to all EU )

Anyways, hopefully an upcoming GE will be sorted today - likely also GBP positive

1 Like

I don’t understand this !

It sounds quite impressive though - and impinges on a little rant from @tommor and myself yesterday !

Politics is crazy!

Interesting summary of several polls of 9,000 voters across my county down here in the SW predicts Labour losing about 40-50% of their voters, while Conservatives losing 10-20% of theirs. Main winners are the LibDems, then Brexit Party and the Greens. But individually, these smaller parties are not predicted to cause much of an upset.

Of the 12 seats, the Conservatives hold 10. They are predicted to hold 9 of these 10 seats outright, lose 1 to the LibDems but gain 1 of Labour’s 2 seats.

The total voting numbers are not predicted but it looks like Labour being trounced. Even where I live, a safe Labour seat for 20 years, the MP has only a 50:50 probability of surviving. Or so they say…

Election now def on, only question is the date.

The notion of 16yr olds etc having the vote wasn’t even selected for debate - just a side-show for talking heads.

Maybe Dec10 or Dec 11 - we’ll know later this evening.

Pound going a bit wobbly - solid buying yesterday and today now waning.

It’s December 12th - Vote 438 to 20

SO Boris got his preferred date !

Help the ignorant Yankee here? We are voting on a new Parliament?

Basically mate - Yes !

This one could be a real wierd one though. Nobody is quite sure how it’s going to go !

Traditionally we have a 2 party system - Labour = “Democrats” ; Conservatives (Tories) - “Republicans”

BUT Brexit cuts across all parties and we wait with interest to see whether “brexit Trumps traditional loyalties” - or whether force of habit and prejudices holds up and we get “2 Party” voting again - There are possibilities too numerous to even contemplate that Nigel farage (Brexit Party) can take some seats - or in other ways influence the result and similarly whether “Lib/Dems” can do the same from the other side.

There are all sorts of side issues and although Polls show Boris well ahead, nothing s certain ! I might pop down the “Bookies” and see what odds I can get ! - Look for some “Arbitrage” later in the process !

So…you got a new Parliament. Immediate vote on existing Brexit, or, I guess, it depends…?

Tories have a majority now, but may not then, correct? Then, they have to cobble together a government THEN they talk Brexit again?

Nigel will attempt to win a majority and if not, the Brexit party will be “players” as we say here?