Fake News everywhere

Time Magazine challenges CNN as

The World’s Biggest Peddler of Fake News

Time’s recent cover shows a pathetic little girl, separated from her parents by the evil Trump government, crying inconsolably, while the heartless tyrant Trump stares down at her.

Never mind that none of that ever happened.

Never mind that the little girl and her mother were apprehended, while sneaking into the U.S. from Mexico, during the Obama administration.

Never mind that the little girl was never more than 5 feet away from her mother during the entire apprehension by the Border Patrol.

Time Magazine and the Getty photographer who took the original photo of the little girl (but apparently did not participate in photo-shopping it) both said that it doesn’t matter that the scene never occurred.

What matters, they say, is how the image makes people feel about little kids being separated from their parents.

Time Magazine and CNN both suck.

Which one sucks more? That’s sort of like asking what stinks worse, a dead rat or a dead snake?

1 Like

Surely the public must realise that if you’re arrested or detained anywhere in the world for any reason and by any agency, and if you have a child in your custody, then while you’re being searched / held / interviewed / tried / processed / medically examined / whatever, the child will be removed to a secure facility.

I guess they just like to pretend otherwise. Or maybe they’re just pretending to be shocked when it does.

The migrant issue is a world problem that needs to be resolved.

What not to do is cage the children restrict the rescuing of people in dangerous seas.

Perhaps politicians consider that the publicity surrounding the hardships of would be migrants will deter others from embarking on the same journey.

But will it? Last week the UN report around 220 people drowned on the perilous journey from Africa to Europe - yet still they come.

The problem needs to be addressed at source, find the reason why people will endure such hardship to get away from their homes, attempt to fix that, everything is possible.

1 Like

Nope ! “Attempting” to fix that cures nothing! - it is simply giving yourself permission to fail. to "cure " that is not possible in the short -term, nether is it politically desireable from the points of view of USA and Israel (Backed by the EU and Britain).

However we digress from @Clint 's point that the picture in “Time” was proven to be “Fake News” - but the SJW’s and anti-capitalists simply don’t care - they will use any spurious means they can to destroy the will of democracy !

I have to say, I was pro trump going into the election (I am a London based trader by the way) and I am also pro Trump now.

However, I cannot agree with all of his topics, but such is life. He is trying to control the migration problem that America (much like the majority of the world) has.

I think Trump has the right idea with most things, however the reason he is not publicly liked is because of the way he does it. Very brash with his decisions. In my opinion thats the trait of a good leader.

One thing however is that it is our duty, as humans and as people to look after one another. Apart from the minority that want to hurt others, the majority of us help the needy. To a certain extent. Migration needs to be limited, not stopped. Funding to third world countries and poverty struck areas needs to be limited, not stopped.

1 Like

It’s like half of the population woke up and forgot that when a parent commits a crime and goes to jail, that naturally the kids can’t follow them. My own brother is sitting in a county jail right now and is facing a potential prison sentence, and here’s the big surprise, his three kids were taken away from him.

There are a dozen different angles to be frustrated about, whether it is how the media is purposefully dishonest, or how they don’t even apologize for their dishonesty when they are caught, or their absolute allegiance to a single political party. What I find the most sickening is that there are millions of American parents and children being separated through crime and drugs and there is not a single peep. Our cities and the family units are sick and decaying. When will we see 24/7 coverage and outrage over these types of issues? I won’t hold my breath.

Oh man. Sorry to hear about your brother. I’m not familiar with the process when a parent faces a prison sentence - if the other parent is not around, what does happen to the kids? I’m guessing next of kin gets to take them in, yes?

I appreciate that @purtle. In his specific situation the mother is a drug addict as well so the children are in limbo in the state foster system.

Oh my goodness. How sad. I hope the kids are okay!!! Could you possibly take the kids in if you wanted to?

We are in our own process of adopting and couldnt even if we wanted to.

Although I want to re-emphasise my original point which is that when we have such a mess at home and the mainstream media doesnt care because it doesnt fit the agenda. This is all politcally motivated. Kids and parents have been seperated due to crimes since the beginning of time, yet this is now suddenly a big surprise to the media? Puuuleaze. The only thing the media has done is help ignite and stoke the flames of hate among fellow Americans. I have never seen so much hate amongst fellow Americans in my life.

Amen. But I’d say America is not alone. This feels like a global experience.

1 Like

Easier said than done. My bro has been wrapped up in the courts for two years trying to get HIS own son away from his coocoo for cocopuffs mother. Sometimes the systems that are in place to protect us can also hurts us or people who we love.

As for fake news, I can’t say, respectfully, I agree that the Times and CNN are the worst perpetrators of fake news. Throw Fox News in there with them. All of them do it. Sensationalize, take things out of context, beat a dead horse, click bait, you name it. Why, because it gets the eye balls and it gets people angry, upset, mad, etc. And those types of people are the ones to make a stink about it, whether there’s cause or not. And they tell their friends, who tell their friends, and so on. And the news is taken as gospel, not checked at a 2nd or 3rd or even 4th source. It’s way easier to believe a CNN or a Fox News than actually work to find out a sliver of the truth. And in the end, getting to the real truth is virtually impossible anyway.

2 Likes

Yup. Truly all of them do it.

I think you’d have to say that the BBC almost always “Have an agenda” Whether biased reporting and management of the content to ignore or belittle fair debate count as “Fake News” I’m not sure - that would depend on your definition I suppose.

But it is pretty certain they engage in “opinion management” - Even the audiences in Programmes like “Any Questions” are either selected or “Self selected” to be massively “leftist” - This is een worse because they are NOT “independent” but Funded by the “Television tax” and therefore have an obligatuion to be fair and reasonable.

I think people forget that many news channels offer up “opinion” broadcasters, who, while maybe legitimate journalists, are offering whole segments on their opinion and opinions of co-anchors and guests. There’s nothing wrong with that. Just understand what it is you’re reading or watching.

Interest read about the importance of facts and opinions

[quote=“forexforexforex, post:21, topic:152455”]
Interest read about the importance of facts and opinions

[quote=“the article, post:21, topic:152455”]

As the science fiction writer Isaac Asimov wrote in 1980:]

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that ‘my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge’.”
[/quote][/quote]

Whilst the writer of the article is entitled to his opinion - especially so as a “Lecturer in critical thinking”, I think Asimov has the “truth” on his side here !

However, when “opinion” is presented as “fact” and opposing views and FACTS are ignored or suppressed in presenting those “opinions” - it does become a Lie !

Yep, quite understandable results, no doubt. For sure, it is not only Americans but almost the whole world doesn’t trust media anymore. It’s more and more visible that each media has an agenda and twists the information in order to distract and guide the masses’ attention in their favor. For a very long time now, leading medias are used as a political and even war weapon so fake and corrupted news everywhere.

If media isn’t to be trusted - where do you guys get your news from?