Featured MeetPips.com Traders: February’s Picks!

Happy Valentine’s Day!

This may not be a valentine day-related post but you might end up falling in love with these traders that we’re featuring this month. Well… Maybe not but Happy Valentine’s Day anyway! :wink:

This February, we have here with us traders who write about how their trades went, how their emotions were handled or being handled and they also put their trade updates up! Most of them were recommended by the MeetPips.com community but all of them are awesome traders who really take the time and effort to improve their trading skills.

Everyone, I am pleased to introduce to you Robert Donovan, Tony Iommich, Xavier Roche and Daphne Sun!

1 Like

Robert Donovan

1. How long have you been trading and how did you get into forex trading?

First, Thanks to meetpips.com for asking me to participate in their newsletter. I am always amazed that anyone finds my thoughts on trading useful enough to talk about.

I’ve been trading off and on since I was 22, while still in the Navy, but I’ve been using the same basic set of techniques I use now for about ten years. Bought Coca-cola after the change to New Coke caused their stock to tank. I had no real idea what I was doing (but sure thought I had). I wiped out three accounts in the six years I was in the Navy.

After I got out of the Navy, I became interested in trading stock and commodity futures. I made money, but the fixed lot sizes and high margins usually meant my account was just shy of under-capitalized all the time, and I was never able to stay way ahead for very long as a result. I was also not as focused on good risk control and money management at that time. I hadn’t learned yet that exits are more important than entries, so my performance was inconsistent. I found it frustrating that I didn’t seem to be able to figure out how to get more consistent performance from my trading.

I got so frustrated that I closed my account in 1997. I was starting my own network consulting company and decided to focus on that. I still kept watching the markets and testing trading ideas, even when I didn’t have an account open anywhere. I still traded stocks occasionally with mixed results. I was really not focusing on trading that seriously during the period from 1997 to late 2004 because my consulting business was doing fairly well, but I kept my hand in. Doing the consulting helped me to start looking at trading as a real business and I started developing and trading strategies with better money management techniques and risk control built into them. I made less money per trade, but the consistency improved and trading became less stressful. I considered that a real improvement.

When the economy started going badly, the consulting business suffered, and I began to approach trading as a serious business. Partly because I had more time, partly because I had bills to pay. I’m not sure whether it was insanity, ignorance, desperation, or brilliance that made me try trading as an alternative to a regular business in a failing economy, but I decided to do it anyway. Friends and family assure me it was mostly insanity. The trouble was, I didn’t have the money I’d need to go into futures or stocks, so I looked at Forex. When I started trading, if you didn’t have a couple of hundred thousand going in, they didn’t even want to talk to you about spot Forex trading in most places. I pretty much had ignored Forex up until about 2008 as a result. That was a big mistake, because it turned out to be a perfect fit. Low capital requirements to get started, you can do it from any place there is an Internet connection, you can’t get fired from it, and it requires no self-promotion to expand if your trading is successful.

2. What’s your most memorable trading experience?

The crash of 1987. Yes, I’m that old. I was in the Navy and bought S&P500 options spreads the weekend before the crash. I forget if it was puts or calls. It didn’t matter, everything got hammered. Spreads collapsed. This would be one of the accounts I wiped out by the way. I learned from that experience never to take anything for granted in the markets.

3. Was there ever a time when you suffered a huge drawdown and thought of giving up? How did you get through that phase?

Every time I wiped out an account, I wondered if trading was really for me. But I loved the mental challenge of it and always thought that I’d be able to figure out what I was doing wrong. Additionally, I have come to realize that there is really not anything else I’d rather be doing that has this kind of income potential. Granted, that’s a long shot, but the potential is there if I devote the necessary effort to developing it fully.

4. What’s the most challenging part of trading for you?

There are two parts, patience and discipline, that I find most challenging. I have traded many different instruments in all time frames. Intra-day trading enables one to pull money out of the markets more frequently, but not as much per trade.

Position trading allows one to make more per trade, but far less frequently. I recently decided to return to swing and position trading, after doing mostly day trading for years, because they allow you not to have to watch the markets all day, the biggest challenge I have discovered with going back to swing trading is that I am constantly tempted to try intra-day trading techniques in the middle of swing trades. I am getting a handle on it, but it is proving much harder than I thought it would be.

5. When would you say you feel you are successful as a trader?

My definition of success has evolved over the years. At first, I thought that managing not to lose my shirt was success. Considering the percentage of traders lose their entire account within the first year, you might call that the first rung. Later, I decided that I wanted to make consistent money, though not make my living, as a trader. I am still working on that. I regard the final success as a trader to be able to cover my living expenses entirely from my trading if I want to. I may never attain that level of achievement, but it doesn’t take any more effort to think big than it does to think small, so I prefer to think big.

6. Do you think anyone can become a successful trader? Why or why not?

If you can learn and practice the right temperament and are committed to learning to trade well, yes. That is a big if for some people.

I have a few friends who are engineers. I call them compulsive engineers. They are constantly trying to tweak the world into spec and are constantly frustrated that it just won’t stay there.

Psychologically, they just have a hard time dealing with an environment of uncertainty of the kind that is unavoidable in trading. That suggests a very low risk tolerance. I would say this type of personality would have the hardest time learning to trade effectively, but I think it could be done if they were committed to doing it.

7. How does your personality match your trading style?

My style is trend-following, technical. I discovered early on that I utterly lack whatever brain center one needs to pick market turning points or to do fundamental analysis accurately, so I no longer even try.

I’m pretty good at finding trend early and at letting profits run, so I play to my strengths. I don’t use profit targets as exits for the same reasons. I set profit targets based on the amount of money risked at the start of the trade. When I make so many multiples of that, rather than exit, I move my stop closer to protect more open profits. I don’t have a very high risk tolerance, so I set a risk limit of 1% of my account, and often trade below that unless I am really confident about a trade set-up or trading strategy.

8. If you could give just one piece of advice to newbie traders, what would it be?

Make sure whatever strategy you decide to trade with matches your personality and risk tolerances. I firmly believe that you could publish your best trading rules on the Internet and broadcast them over prime time news and you would be amazed at how many people simply can’t trade your system because it doesn’t mesh with who they are and how they perceive and react to market events and risk.

There is no secret technique, special method of analysis, or secret inside information that successful traders have that you don’t. This business is not about predicting the future. It’s about observing what’s going on right now, getting in synch with that as smoothly and dispassionately as possible, and managing your risk on each trade so as to survive the inevitable strings of losses, and it’s a marathon, not a sprint.

I tell people who ask me about it that it is not a matter of hitting a grand slam home run, but about being able to consistently bring in the singles and doubles. Risk control matters far more in the long run than what set of indicators you use. Find a set of indicators you like, learn to use them, and manage your risk.

You can’t control your profits; you can only control your losses. But if you can learn to respond to the markets consistently each and every trade and keep the risk to your account equity low, you can be a profitable trader. After that, you can define success any way you want.

9. Describe your typical day as a forex trader.

Since I have the luxury of working at home, I can trade all sessions, but I prefer the London and New York sessions. I normally watch the charts during the day and when I see a chart set-up starting to form on the intra-day charts. I arrange my schedule around whichever trading session I need to get into the trade. Once I’m in, I place an exit stop on the intra-day chart I got in on and then start following the daily charts.

If I’m still in the trade by the end of the daily session, I trail my stops based on the daily charts until I get stopped out, a reversal occurs, or major news might require exiting earlier. The exact rules are in my trading plans at meetpips.com for those who are interested. Feel free to use and adapt them to your particular trading style if you find them useful.

10. Who’s your favorite Forex character?

I don’t know about a favorite, but I’ve been influenced by and read just about everybody’s stuff. Principal influences that went into my trading techniques would probably be Larry Williams, Chuck Lebeau, Bruce Bab****, and Edward O. Thorpe, but I find useful ideas from just about everyone.

1 Like

Tony Iommich

I discovered trading about two years ago. Initially I had wanted to do stocks, but lacked the capital. I considered S&P futures, until a trader persuaded me to consider FX. I previously thought the FX market was a scam but realized that there are retail traders doing quite well in it. The trader told me about the ‘school’ section in BabyPips.com which helped me with the basics. With no account minimums, adjustable leverage, and free data feeds, I decided I’d stick with this until I make it work, and only then consider other options. I’m glad I made that decision.

My first day trading. I had a $25 micro account and I managed to make $5 during the Asian session. I was so excited I taped a $5 on my wall and said ‘that’s it, I’m in business!’ Of course, I blew that account, but I was happy that my first trading memory was so positive and yielded a 20% return on equity.

3. Was there ever a time when you suffered a huge drawdown and thought of giving up? How did you get through that phase?

I would say I had more of a problem of suffering steady drawdowns, bleeding slowly rather than quickly. Even when I screwed up badly, I always remained confident that I’ll succeed and do quite well.

Entrepreneurship is all about multiple failures before you reach success. You simply have to mentally allow yourself the time and experience of making mistakes.

Circumstances may force me to put trading aside, and it may take me a respectable amount of time before I have the size of account, experience, and confidence level to live off my trading. But I don’t see how I’d give up, unless they banned it or the markets were completely fixed. It’s simply too awesome of a business.

Quantifying my setups and doing the proper research and homework. If you just go by textbook technical analysis or fundamentals (or even worse, purchasing someone’s ‘magic system’), you will be a consistent loser. The real pros know how to separate the good trades from the bad, what confluent elements are required. They define and refine their setups, optimizing them for long term positive expectancy. This is what I need to really work on.

I like to think of trading as any startup venture – success is built of milestones. In a startup there is first the cash flow positive stage, then there is the growth and expansion stage, and beyond that there are more challenges. Its a never-ending quest, even Microsoft is setting higher goals every year. For me right now, having a positive year is the first milestone.

I think almost any person can become a ‘system’ trader, which can be made into a highly automated activity. Whether they can develop a system, or be a discretionary trader, or have the discretion to know when a system is no longer good, I’d say more likely no than yes, simply because some people have a problem with self-control and lack the maturity to make proper decisions.

A number of people may have the right mental tools if they really work hard on it, but they might find a more pleasurable and efficient use of their energy and time doing something that gives them greater job satisfaction. Success is highly reliant on motivation.

I am still working on developing a concrete trading style, but I definitely gravitate towards short term trading. I like to have things ‘done with’, and hate the idea of being in a position for a long time that can collapse very quickly. The problem is that short term trading is more challenging on many levels.

I personally dislike purely mechanical trading systems, it is difficult for me to have faith in a highly quant driven model because you can’t really describe human behavior in a math equation. I am working hard on developing a consistent discretionary approach. The world’s best traders did it this way, and it’s an example worthy of emulating even if it takes me longer to be profitable.

8. If you could give just one piece of advice to newbie traders, what would it be?

This is an entrepreneurial venture, so give yourself the time and mental space to fail repeatedly and learn. Set milestones, not deadlines.

There isn’t much of a typical day these days unfortunately, because I attend business school full time. When I get a window of opportunity in the day time, I practice trading the EUR/USD during the New York/London overlap (8 am to 12 pm est). I will check for news releases, and always give a glance to the currencies section in the Wall Street Journal and Bloomberg just to get a flavor of the themes that are in the air.

I don’t use any indicators, only have a 21 pd exponential moving average. I check support, resistance levels, and draw trendlines if I see a strong one developing. I always watch the 00 and 50 levels. Now that my time is limited I have also started looking for swing trading ideas on a number of currency pairs, using the same approach pretty much.

I have gotten value from so many of the characters that it’s hard for me to point to just one. However, I do like HuckleKiwi for one specific and rather unique reason: she works in a coffee shop while trading. That to me is the classic image of the struggling entrepreneur who is fighting to become successful.

Xavier Roche

First of all, thanks to BabyPips.com for being featured this month!

I’ve been trading for less than 2 years. My story is a little weird. I wanted to earn cash for an online game and I realized I was doing well moving through the Internet so I decided to make money out of it instead of just playing and surfing.

I started my research and discovered a lot of ways to make money, but all of them were boring or were just false promises. Then I discovered this amazing world, I couldn’t believe it was real: online stock trading, futures, currencies - it was like a dream to me. The only thing I can remember was when I was a kid I wanted to buy some stocks and sell it at a higher price but I just decided to forget about it because I thought it was only for very wealthy people. Funny how I don’t care about the game that started my research anymore.

I was very scared of trading for real yet I found demo trading to be boring and unrealistic. A friend of mine told me his friend made ten times as much as his capital very easily. They practically forced me into trading and said I had nothing to be scared about. I was not sure about trading myself so I waited long enough to learn the basics of what Forex is and isn’t, then I started with $5 and I couldn’t believe I was excited about making pennies. I got it up to $7.3 and then I started trading with more money but my friends went broke and stopped trading.

I’m the only one who’s still doing it (the careful one!). Also, I let some company manage a small amount of my money. It went well but now I realize I was lucky. Their risk was bigger than I expected and suddenly they were having problems and so I closed my account and decided start trading more seriously on my own.

I think is very important not to receive any psychological damage when you’re starting because it would be very difficult to recover. Plus, I always felt I couldn’t afford to lose my stake, even if all I have is 10$ and I think that’s a positive thing. There are people who start with a lot of money and then lose it all just to learn they need to start smaller or forget trading altogether. I make sure I take care of every dollar I have.

May 5, 2010, before Flash Crash, I Identified a double top in USD/JPY and placed my trade. I placed a take profit about 250 pips below but I was sure it wasn’t going to get hit. When I saw the next day that the trade was closed at profit and the pair was down more than 600 pips, I realized I was lucky, yet I found it painful that the TP was so small.

Since then I have had problems placing TP levels and now I’ve realized that if a pair is going up then I need to figure out how to enter until it stops going up. I don’t trade the future, currency trends can last days or months and there’s no reason to get out of a good move just because it’s going in your favor.

My biggest drawdown is less than 4%. My account got stuck from 3% to -4% for 5 months. I was really angry and since then I changed my strategy. It’s been easier to trade and now I don’t get stuck for very long periods of time.

I discovered that I was trading a bad system and that there was a lot of discretionary pressure. I traded with the trend but when I went out to take profits there was the problem of when to get back in again. I realized that getting in and out was what made me lose so much so now I try to ride a trend for as long as I can.

Dealing with emotions. I don’t think I can ever get rid of it, but at least it can be mastered enough to minimize the bad effects especially if you’re not a fully automatized trader. Also I think time and experience are big allies in this matter. Let’s face it, it’s exciting to make your first 100 pips in a trade, then you could act completely normal some weeks or months later, making or losing hundreds of pips since you’re relaxed now and focused on more important information.

That’s a very difficult question. I think trading improvement never ends, because it is about dealing with your strengths and weaknesses so I think as long as I keep learning, growing in every aspect of trading, giving the best of me and never giving up, I will be as successful as I need to be in that moment.

I believe you must like this world, some people are not risk tolerant, some are happy with salaries, some hate economics or don’t like math and technical analysis, some even think it is too boring and difficult.

Also I believe some people don’t have the right personality when it comes to trading, so they will never find a right system, first of all they must change the way they are and think and that’s a very difficult-to-impossible task in most of cases. If a trader does not have the discipline, is very emotional, unstable, and doesn’t have a good way of living then he should forget about holding the “trading” title for his own good.

Right now my system gives me very good signals, so I’m discretionary enough to pick those trades that I think have room to grow very quickly.

I don’t like to guess what’s going to happen, I’d rather like to know what’s happening and how long could it last, then I try to join a trend and then I look for triggers that could increase my profits while I’m already In.

I don’t believe there’s a high too high or a low too low, however I take the right provisions of the possible outcomes, so my trades are ready for when something big happens or changes.

I’m dealing with impatience - that’s part of my personality, but it doesn’t fit well with my trading style. I found that the longer term I trade, the more profitable I get. I believe everybody is patient until some point and that point can be extended time after time.

Give yourself enough room to make errors and learn but still have money to trade tomorrow, Money Management is the key, it’s what will keep you alive when you make stupid things, so you don’t make it again.

One more piece, never stop learning.

I must wake up at 4 a.m. to trade, I have only 2 hours before I go to university and I must forget about trading, so all my charts have the proper set up in order to make my analysis simpler. I look for next day triggers that could favor my ideas and read a lot of news and possible outcomes to gauge the market sentiment.

In the night I check out the news and any trades if open, if everything’s OK then I go to bed and the process repeats.

Although I’ve learned a lot from many people, I always carefully consider Kathy Lien’s analysis. She is very close to what’s happening right now and knows why the market is moving in either direction.

Daphne Sun

I’ve been trading since September 2010 but have only gotten better habits since early January of this year when I finished reading the School of Pipsology. I got into forex trading when an uncle mentioned he was doing it using an automated system and suggested I looked into BabyPips.com if I wanted to learn anything concrete…and the rest is history.

It isn’t a very good example of a memorable trading experience, but I remember once when USD/CHF was jumping all over the place, going up/down by 10-20 pips one second and then up/down by another 10-20 pips in the next second. Curious and inexperienced, I decided to jump in and made about $150. I tried re-entering it and lost about $120 when the market started slowing down and going against my trade. That experience taught me two things: that I can make money this easily and lose money snaps as easily, and that major news is able to affect price change to such a dramatic effect (there must have been some huge news at that time but I was too inexperienced to check the news reports).

I haven’t yet had this experience.

Patience. To actually have the patience to sit down and analyze yesterday’s trades and determine market sentiment for the day. I take a quick look at the charts with my MACD, ADX and Stochastic and feel like jumping in right away.

When I can make 10% or more of my initial capital.

I believe anyone can become a successful trader. Firstly, it depends on the individual on what they deem to be a “successful trader” on a personal basis. Once they’ve established that, I believe that all it takes is the discipline and focus to stick to one’s trading plan before the experience will naturally take over and provide the skills and instincts needed to succeed. As with anything in life.

On a personality basis, I’d say I’m more of a scalper or day trader. But based on the lifestyle I intend to lead, I recently found out that swing trading would be better for me. That in which I’m currently working on…you guessed it, patience.

Well, I’m not sure if this is my arena because I still very much consider myself a newbie trader. But if there’s one thing I could say, it will be to never take failure to heart, and to never, never, never give up if succeeding in trading is what you really want to do. Expect to lose a lot of demo money before gaining the required experience so you can win when you trade for real.

Hmm…this has yet to be established. Previously I would take a quick look at the charts and jump in. Now I’m working on taking a couple hours to read the market sentiment for the day and preview economic factors before jumping in.

Dr. Pipslow! Especially for newbies, if you don’t have the right mindset, you’re bound to lose money quicker than you think. Even after graduating from the School of Pipsology, I still found myself bound to err with my own mental attitudes towards trading, and Dr. Pipslow has put me back on track a couple of times.