Featured School of Pipsology Students: September's Picks!

Just how easy or difficult is it to go through BabyPips.com’s School of Pipsology? What’s the most difficult lesson? Any tips for those currently studying the School?

These are just some of the questions we wanted to ask and it’s a good thing Robert Mathern, Keith Harrington and Felix Rumpel were quick to respond to our Facebook calls for September’s School of Pipsology student-interviewees!

If you have spare time, I’d really appreciate it if you also answer the same questions we’ve asked them! :wink:

1 Like

Robert Mathern

1. How and when did you find out about forex trading? What did you think of it then?

I found out about the forex market about 2 years ago while having drinks with some friends of mine and talking about the stock market. At first I thought it’s just a load of BS if there was a market that big how come I never heard of it.

2. What made you decide to start your forex education?

Well I had been trading stocks before and doing okay at it but I had a buy and hold strategy which right now is very hard to do in any market especially the stock market.

While my friends and I were talking, he mentioned that with forex it didn’t matter which way the market went – I could still profit. I didn’t believe it. I had never heard of anything like that before.

3. Tell us how you found out about the School of Pipsology.

I still had a buy and hold strategy in my head and just could not understand that if the market is in a downtrend; how can I make money? So my buddy recommended that I check out this free training course on one condition that I finish it and if I still didn’t get it or thought it was a load of BS then that’s fine. That course was the BabyPips School of Pipsology.

So I agreed to check it out and I must say I never looked at the markets the same way again. I was hooked even before I finished the kindergarten section of the School.

4. How long has it been since you graduated from the School of Pipsology? What are you currently doing forex trading-wise?

As I progressed through the School, I went ahead and started a demo account since I am a better learner when I can apply what I am studying in real time. I learned a lot of different things along the way to find myself as a trader. It’s been about a year now since I graduated from the School and been live trading for about a year.

I started with a small account just to get my feet wet and see what I could do when the pressure was on. In the beginning, it was rough but I got to say I never really blew out my account and once I found my way I have never looked back since.

I only trade part time mostly the Asian session since I work full time so I am by no means a rich man but I must say I am doing pretty well. I feel as though I am living proof that a part time trader can make it in forex. I hope to be a full time trader one day but with my wife being a diabetic and 2 little babies I got to have the health insurance that forex does not offer unfortunately. If it did I would probably go full time a lot sooner.

5. What was the most difficult lesson in the School of Pipsology for you?

The hardest part of the school for me was probably Summer School. Trying to remember all those rules on Elliot wave and harmonic price patterns to me was way too time consuming. I still to this day don’t have that part down but I don’t trade with them anyway.

6. Of all the lessons in there, which one is your favorite? Why?

They are all very good lessons but if I had to pick my favorite it would have to be Money
Management. In my opinion, that is the most important part in trading. Use me as an example; I win about 50% of my trades yet my account grows every day. It is hard to do but that has to be the most important.

7. How did you go about the School? How much time a week did you devote to it? Would you say your pace was slow, fast or just right?

I am a fast paced kind of guy. I will have to say I devoted all my free time on the School and demoing what I learned in the School or the charts. To me the pace was right but I would recommend going slow and taking your time; it is all important information. Some of the information I don’t use today but I feel you must be aware of it to be successful.

8. Is there anything you would want to change or add to the current School? Why?

I would add a section on price action. There is tons of info on every indicator out there on the web but you will find very little on price action. The school does cover a lot on price action but it is spread throughout the School. I think one formalized section dedicated to price action would be great. I am a pure price action trader but I also believe that no matter what kind of strategy you have if it is using indicators or whatever, that if you use price action as confirmation, you will greatly improve as a trader.

9. What would be your advice to anyone who’s about to start their School of Pipsology learning?

The best advice I can give to a newbie starting the School is to take your time and learn it. Retake the course as many times as you feel necessary. It’s free so why not. Take it so many times that everything in the school becomes second nature to you.

Then you need to forget everything you learned from the School. The reason I say that is so you can keep thinking what the school said about this setup and what it means. By the time you go find it in the School you already missed the boat on a trade. It has to be embedded in your brain so you are not asking yourself what this doji on a support line means. You already know and are ready to execute on a moment’s notice.

10. Where are you from? What do you like doing during your free time? What would you have us do if we visit your town/city?

I live in Jacksonville Florida. There is a lot of water here so I love to go diving. I am a gun collector so I go shooting a lot. Another hobby I have that can be time consuming besides trading is saltwater reef aquariums. I love that hobby and spend a lot of time with it helping others out. Other than that I have a 3-year-old son and we play all day long as much as I can; they grow up fast so you got to enjoy it while you can. I feel in trading you always got to have other hobbies to keep you from diving yourself crazy staring at charts all day.

1 Like

Keith Harrington II

1. How and when did you find out about forex trading? What did you think of it then?

I discovered forex about 7 months ago. I have a student who’s into stocks and one day, we got to talking about buying currencies.

I was looking for info online and came across a lot of material about forex, but not in any type of order so it was difficult to understand. When I came across the BabyPips site, I saw the school link (and loved how it was setup) and that’s when I began to learn.

I guess I answered this question already in my last answer lol. I was just searching for info on learning forex on the net.

4. How long has it been since you graduated from the School of Pipsology? What are you currently doing forex trading-wise?

I graduated about 2 months ago and i still have a demo account for now. I plan to open a live account in the near future (I opened a demo account after “kindergarten” to practice what I would learn in future lessons).

The most difficult for me was the “summer school” section on Elliot waves and harmonic price patterns.

My favorite lesson was the “cross currencies.” I love trading crosses. For me it’s a great opportunity to earn extra pips.

7. How did you go about the School? How much time a week did you devote to it? Would you say your pace was slow, fast or just right?

I’d say my pace was just right for me. I would usually spend about 2 hours a day reading, re-reading and studying what I had read just about every day and tried to apply it in the demo.

8. Is there anything you would want to change or add to the current School? Why?

Not really. I guess I would like to see a lesson explaining price action a little. That was confusing for me while I was learning. I saw the term a lot, but didn’t really know what it was or how to apply it.

9. What would be your advice to anyone who’s about to start their School of Pipsology learning?

My piece of advice would be to read the complete “pre-school” section and then gauge if you’re still interested to continue and treat it as if currency trading is already your job. Very serious business here and not a game at all!

10. Where are you from? What do you like doing during your free time? What would you have us do if we visit your town/city?

Well, I grew up in Minnesota, USA but currently live in Chile. I am a mastering engineer and also teach private English classes here. I would recommend visiting the beaches and I’m also told that the north and south of Chile are very nice places…Haven’t made it there yet though lol.

Felix Rumpel

The first time I heard about it was around seven months ago when Oanda held a trading competition at my university. At first I thought it is somehow solely based on economic news. I did not know that there are certain tools or oscillators to actually foresee how the values might develop. I thought that markets and shares were driven by a basic concept - if the company is doing well, the shares increase.

During the above mentioned competition, I focused on USD/JPY. I only read some basic information provided by Oanda. I tried to reasonably understand why the course is changing and how. Then I found out that there is so much learn. The next day after the Tsunami, I opened my trading account and saw very very large red numbers. I did not know about Stop Loss at all.

After realizing I had no chance of successfully completing the competition, I just wanted to close the chapter on forex. However, the whole forex system was so interesting that I continued learning anyway as I realized that there is so much information on Google and YouTube.

I read on a poker forum about forex where someone asked for the best site to learn about forex. A lot of peope mentioned BabyPips. I have to confess that at first I thought that page was for entertainment and not seriously teaching trading, but after I verified some articles with other sources I realized how well the BabyPips School is structured.

4. What level are you on now? How is it so far?

I am about to graduate from the BabyPips high school and it is going very well. I have no problems in understanding it and trying to apply everything in my trading. But sometimes I have to flip back to earlier chapters to read some strategies again.

Definitely “Ichimoku Kinko Hyo”. To be honest I still don’t know how to exactly apply it. Maybe it seems to be a bit too advanced for beginners.

I personally liked the Fibonacci and Pivot points lessons the most as they are concise, easy to understand and apply and most importantly very useful.

I am studying your website about four times a week for about two hours. This includes reading the forum as well. My pace is just right, as most of the time I am reading articles more than once and writing the basic points on a paper. It is important to realize that it does not matter when you graduate from the school, it is important to understand every single page first and then proceed (except for the “Ichimoku Kinko Hyo”)

I would definitely include YouTube videos for each topic. Sometimes a picture and text is good to understand the basics but I often look for YouTube videos to get a better understanding. For example I knew what the Fibonacci retracement was but I watched a few more YouTube videos for clarification. Once I understood what a certain tool was, I still did not know how to actually use it. When I tried certain things on MetaTrader, nobody could tell me whether what I did was correct or not. More exercises but also videos could help.

My advice would be to just read first and start to use a demo account after the Middle School. This somehow forced me to go back to the first chapter to read many things again as I had to apply them now.

Furthermore I would encourage people to rather invest a small amount of money like $50 into a trading account rather than using a demo account. I have caught myself using “play money” sometimes to buy faster even though I was not entirely sure what was happening. Since I use a small amount of money I just trade when I am completely sure what the market signals are indicating me. I don’t know where I read it but someone said “forex is not about getting rich fast, it is about getting rich slow”. There should be at least a bit of interest about financial markets and everything and not only thinking I am going to make millions of dollars.

I am from Freiburg, Germany but living in Singapore. Most of my free time I am using to understand forex or teaching my chinese neighbours how to talk with a normal sound volume -.-

If you would visit Freiburg, you should most certainly hike through the black forest. However if you are intending to visit Singapore you should bring a lot of money.

2 Likes

Well I was featured first now I feel special. :slight_smile:

Alvin Borgy Garcia

I love money, I love calculations and I am very interested in how to earn money. I started investing in the stock market, insurance and mutual funds early last year (Feb 2010). Then I came to hear from peers regarding forex. At first I was very negative about it because of the belief of BIG GAIN and BIG LOSSES QUICK. So I was content trading stocks. But when I was trading stocks, I discovered that I had a high risk appetite for trading. Then one day, my friend sent me a message telling me that he wants to learn forex. And so I started doing my own research about forex.

Well, I am always amazed with people that have been successful doing this. So I wanted to challenge myself and change my belief that I can do it too. After that, I had a goal that I will be the first Filipino to do make a story out of forex trading. :slight_smile:

You know, they say you’ve got to invest on wisdom before you invest money. So I searched all possible reference for seminars and training here in Manila but unfortunately I found none. So I searched the whole net and found several references and decided to stick with BabyPips.com first then later searched for other documents.

Grade 2 – Japanese Candlesticks. I should say, so far so good. Well it is a little slow on my end but I am able to understand the details, well, so far… : )

I guess the most difficult that I ever reached is the Japanese Candlesticks. :slight_smile:

HOW YOU MAKE MONEY IN FOREX. : )

I always do it during Saturday nights from 6PM-12AM since it is my free time. But sometimes if my boss is not around, I sneak in to my internet proxy and do little of reading. :slight_smile: I would say that I’m slow-paced, because I would not want to skip details if I don’t understand it.

Video demos would help. Also, a live coach or chat support from the site if we have questions while reading the documents.

Invest in knowledge; don’t rush. Wins and losses will stay. Opportunities to buy and trade will always be there. History will repeat itself; wherein another opportunity will arrive.

I am from Cavite, Philippines. During my free time I box; play basketball or read stuff regarding stocks and money. If you have plans of coming here in Manila, please hold a seminar or a forex exhibit? Trading? Any stuff that would help forex people learn more about the market.

[B]1. How and when did you find out about forex trading? What did you think of it then?[/B]

I was at web store just like ebay and there was a guy selling something entitled “Become a Millonaire trading with curencies” I thounght too dam good to be true

[B]2. What made you decide to start your forex education?[/B]

The fact of blowin up my first acc, 500 usd, in my country taht is a fortune

[B]3. Tell us how you found out about the School of Pipsology.[/B]

Oh, that is funny, one year after saying goodbye to forex i’ve decided to give it one more try and then i started to really read all course contents and inside it there was a pdf of Babypips translated to spanish, it was an early version. I’ve read the entire doc in one single day.

[B]4. How long has it been since you graduated from the School of Pipsology? What are you currently doing forex trading-wise?[/B]

Two years now and in my experience i always have to come back. I always addapt my system to the everychanging reality.

[B]5. What was the most difficult lesson in the School of Pipsology for you?[/B]

The ones i just skip, it is difficult to explain, there are a lot of things i just don’t belive too much such as technical indicators.

[B]6. Of all the lessons in there, which one is your favorite? Why?[/B]

Risk management, it was like the i’ve found the holy grail because when i’ve first read babypips it was like ok, that is the famous risk management, that is the way it was supposed to be done, not just leting an order opened until it reaches neutral point so i can have no loss.

[B]7. How did you go about the School? How much time a week did you devote to it? Would you say your pace was slow, fast or just right?[/B]

Quite fast.

[B]8. Is there anything you would want to change or add to the current School? Why?[/B]

I would say emotional management should be more explained.

[B]9. What would be your advice to anyone who’s about to start their School of Pipsology learning?[/B]

Read it from the start to the very end and then skip the non interesting part. You must know all before you can discard what you don’t need.

[B]10. Where are you from? What do you like doing during your free time? What would you have us do if we visit your town/city?[/B]

I am from Santa Cruz, Bolivia, most of the time i like to read, i have a new challenge, to read all Philip K. **** novels and short stories before the year ends. If you guys come here i would ask you to stay a weekend in Santa Maria, it is a nice farm Hotel located 121 km (75 miles) from Santa Cruz.

Thanx one after another motivation in baby pips

Amazing and awesome!Million thanks for sharing great information and data given.I used to trade for [B]forexpro[/B] firm or account.I really appreciated it alot.Good to know about it.Will bookmark this great forum website for future reference.I am a part-time forex trader also.May god bless you all.Amen