Feedback about new Discourse Forums

well 5 stars to whoever restored the images posted here to something great again! love the new images!
progress growth and change is the way of the day, looking great again!

Is there a way to filter my notifications, messages, activity etc to show in ascending order instead of descending?

Sorry if this has been covered before.

Thanks in advance

Ok, so here is the deal, I copy an article from word, then I past it to the forum page and Wah Lah, it kinda sorta copies, leaving me to edit it 39 bazillion times, and on top of that, when I look in the preview window it shows everything aligned, but when I save the edit and look at the actual post, itā€™s still messed up and I have to go back and edit it again. I mean come on, itā€™s just word after all.

The Ever Frustrated With Word Processors And Websites VIPER

Thatā€™s your problem right there. Word is notorious for adding additional formatting and syntax, which becomes part of the the copy and paste. Perhaps you could paste the copied text to Notepad first (comes with Windows OS), or some other bare-bones word processor. I think macOS might have something called TextWrangler that provides the same ā€œsanitizingā€ of text.

Sorry, I missed this. There is no option for that, unfortunately.

Just adding my 2 cents. After trying to use the site for a bit since the update, I have to agree with many others that the lack of pagination makes it very hard to orientate yourself in threads. I also have a harder time now viewing different threads.

Usually saying it was better in the past is just memory playing tricks on you, but in this case I preferred the forum before the tech upgrade.

1 Like

I think thatā€™s the general consensus - at least from the comments made by others here who have had adequate experience of the ā€˜oldā€™ and ā€˜newā€™. From a members point of view, the only issue the old layout had was the increased random bombardment of spam (health products and the likes, very strange). Itā€™s anyoneā€™s guess as to what the potential issues were back of house, but I suspect itā€™s these issues that certainly made way for the change to Discourse. I feel BP has certainly lost itā€™s uniqueness from an interaction point of view, which is a shame - however, times change, for better and worse.

2 Likes

Hi all,

Sorry, I posted a comment on the new layout in another thread, having missed this one. Not sure whether that is down to me or the new navigationā€¦! (I only found this owing to the ā€˜new postsā€™ list on the right hand side of the main page, thank you @RISKonFX)

Anyway, as I have said elsewhere, but will repeat here as it seems to be the proper place for it. Apologies for cluttering up the forum.

1. I seriously donā€™t get on with the lack of pages, to the point where it might be a deal breaker. Surely there should be a way of users locally editing the layout to get pages back? Each thread just being an endless mass makes things very hard to follow, I just canā€™t easily see which threads have real momentum behind them. There are many lesser fora on the internet, which now look quite like BP in terms of not really being accessible and not really having a clear style or centre. Pagination would really help with that.

2. I really miss being able to see usersā€™ likes and post count readily. I used to learn a lot from established posters who actually trade real money. Post count and like count, when taken together, gave a good initial steer as to who was worth listening to. Now I find I canā€™t tell a clueless trader from a good one very easily at all. So I can post what I like, but from a learning point of view Iā€™m finding the new setup quite inaccessible.

There are many traders like me who have been on quite a long time (I joined in 2010, had thousands of posts and likes) but who come and go (I stepped away to set up a business, build a house and shepherd my last kid into full time school (Alice, 4, started this week)). When theyā€™re here, itā€™s good to be able to spot them easily. When I canā€™t spot them Iā€™m stuck wading through umpteen samey threads looking to form a view on each posterā€™s merit. Itā€™s simply too time-consuming without being able to cross-reference against a posterā€™s past, imho.

Iā€™m now back, but struggling to find quality posters and not liking the lack of pagination. It is giving me a wheat/chaff conundrum, and it oughtnā€™t really to be this hard. It never used to be. I am all for a level playing field, but this is now so level that I never know whether I am passing to Messi or a clown. Sorry.

ST

2 Likes

The two previous posts certainly seem typical of the consensus of opinion.

Iā€™m newly here, but was attracted here in the first place by a quality poster (not realising that the member had already left).

It seems that almost all the quality posters (whose input seems almost impossible to find anyway, given the peculiar platform) have actually gone, I think not because of the platform but mostly for only minor variations of the reasons set out very recently in this now locked thread.

It certainly is a very different approach, and can be frustrating at first, but one does get used to it (like with most changes). I guess you have noticed by now that when you revisit a thread the system does remember where you last were and returns you there and not to the start each time?

It is more difficult to find specific previous posts within a single thread, but I guess one has to evaluate how many threads there are on a BP-type forum that one actually wants to frequently refer back to earlier posts? In my experience the majority of threads here are more ā€œliving for the presentā€ than building and forming a reference-type history. There are threads like the 3 Ducks which are surely the type that especially newcomers may wish to browse and refer back to, but maybe not so manyā€¦

I no longer have any issue with the paging on my laptop, but I do still find it clumsy on mobile.

My main concern used to be the depersonalisation of the members here. It felt like all members were stripped of their ā€œratingsā€ and reduced to an anonymous blobby avatar. But Iā€™ve got used to that too and, I guess, sometimes it is preferable to just be a low-profile blob! :smiley:

I love it.
Itā€™s fresh, modern, with fast efficient navigation & posting options.

Regards the quality posters, itā€™s a constant churn mate.
Been the same from day one & the cycle will continue on & on.

To repeat a quote: forums are like revolving doors, constantly in motion.
Wait long enough & the next genius will appear in a cloud of enthusiastic optimism :slight_smile:

1 Like

Lidle, Lidle ??, ha we just got ours in Wake Forest, it is a bit of a drive from the Palatial VIPER Ranch And Estate, but Mrs. Viper loves it, and I find that the Chiles are fresh and hot.

Now to the rest of the Screed

As far as Trust Levels, I donā€™t know why Social Media calls them that. If you look at the ā€œmetricsā€, a stupid corporate concept if I ever heard one, or shall we say ā€œThe Arbitrary Trust Level Rulesā€, Mikey would be the most trusted poster in the whole Universe. Yup, Mr. canā€™t trade, had no self control, blew up, ā€œliar, liar, pants on fireā€, guy, would be the most trusted name in BabyPips, a guy who thought there were actually liquidity gaps in Spot Currency.

Gads, I think quality is far more important than quantity, so there you go. Donā€™t ask me how to fix it, I am not a web guy and did not stay at a Holiday Inn last night.

Also I like ā€œPaginationā€, hehhehee, I learned that word in this thread, so now it looks like I know sumpin. I find it easier to ā€œnavigateā€, see there, two, count um, two internet terms. But it is the way things are.

I also wish they had a nice BIG, "Back To The Home Pageā€™ button, in red with flashing lights, that way when I get a quarter of the way through Mike Ws new journal posts, and I am hemorrhaging through my ears, I can click back to the main forum page and get some relief, and live to read some more in a day or two. (Just kidding MW wherever you are).

Oh yeah, and the pin this topic feature doesnā€™t work, so there is that also.

The Ever Disgruntled VIPER

An image of Goldman - Sachs, and the world economy, and ā€œDoing gods Workā€

1 Like

Hello SR, could you translate that into Cantonese, or PurƩpecha, I cannot decipher the language you are speaking. It looks like some obscure dialect of English.

The Ever Multilingual VIPER

1 Like

The way thatā€™s handled is just as counterproductive as everything else, here: whatā€™s allegedly ā€œhiddenā€ is in fact made much more prominent and tempting with a ā€œview hidden contentā€ link! :grin:

Did I mention the PIN feature does not function.

The Ever Mentioning VIPER

Hey Viper, I cover the answer in another thread for you. Check it out.

I just popped in after many years absence. I have to agree, for better or worse. I think this is worse. The old system was far easier to navigate. Missing pages is a real killer.

Ok, used bookmark, it works so I can find my stuff quickly.

Thanks

The Ever Looking For Easy VIPER

Getting popup adverts on every page when using a tablet - is this expected?

Hey R, do any of them feature a snake or pentacle, I use my tablet all the time here and have no Pups. but it is a Darwinian Capitalist Lenovo miix.

The Ever Snake Like VIPER

1 Like