Feedback about new Discourse Forums

That’s definitely not normal. Can you confirm your operating system and web browser for me?

Thanks!

OK gurus of glitch, doctors of DOS, necromancers of net, I would like to be able to “MUTE” new threads immediately without having to open them, then scroll down, and then select “MUTE”. Can anyone throw a Snake a Mouse, even a dead one.

The Ever Ignorant Of The Internet Of Things VIPER

Hey Viper,

What notification is it that you want to mute? There are notification settings that you can change under Preferences that might get you closer to what you’re looking for. For example, you can turn off the automatic tracking of topics you enter, turn off tracking on posts that you contribute to, and turn off notifications when someone likes one of your posts. Finally, if you have Desktop Notifications enabled, those can also be turned off.

Pipstradamus

1 Like

Hey PipS, I think I have most of the preset stuff figured out, but what would be really sweet, is to have an individualized home page, and any new stuff that comes in I can look at the title and immediately mute, without having to open read and scroll down, there are certain phrases that let me know that I would not be interested in the post/thread/poster. Anyway, I think I have it down the best I can get it.

The Ever Whittling VIPER

OK, here is another one, I try to put certain users on MUTE and they still show up on my startup page. The procedure I followed was the following.

1. Preferences
  2. Notifications
  3. Users
  4. Enter user name
  5. Save
  6. Get out and go back in to see if user name is saved in mute
  7. User name is saved
  8. User still shows up on my I guess what ya’ll call “home page”, on the right under “Latest”

It’s a pain to weed through and then have to Mute the same thread by the same questionable user time and time again.

The Ever Feeling Arrogant And Superior VIPER

1 Like

Hey Viper,

The “Mute” feature only works for notifications and PMs, not topic/post listings of any kind. Unfortunately, what I think you’re looking for, a personalized topic/post stream (not including posts by anybody on your Mute List), is not an available feature.

The people behind the platform have a specific “vision” about how the mute feature should and shouldn’t work. And muting posts isn’t part of that vision. But we can totally see how it could benefit our members in various situations. We’ll have a look and see if there’s an easy way to extend the platform to make that happen.

Thanks for the feedback.

Pipstradamus

Please, I’m beggin ya. I don’t mind reading different stuff, but after reading one post from someone, like elliot, I have no interest in it. So if I could filter out some of the things I have no interest in, it would enhance my experience. The other thing would be a customizable home page, in fact, a log in that would take me to the home page as soon as I log in, man now that would be great, and the ability to change colors of the home page etc. Like being able to have it Aqua, Orange, And White with Dark Blue trim, yesssss. Oh and how bout being able to change fonts, colors, size etc. in posts now that would be sweet.

The Ever Looking For Individuality VIPER

did I finally make it to the bottom of all this?

1 Like

I’m just new here, and it’s more than perfect. This forum tastes so good here. I’ve never seen any other site like this one. Great work done @Pipstradamus. Stay resourceful Admin and stay first-rate version of Babypips.

1 Like

Hi, apologies if this is the wrong place to post this question, I couldn’t find a ‘tech support’ section.

Is there any way to jump back to the top of the screen once I am down at the bottom of a long thread, please? I have just posted on a long thread, the ‘Why we need more female traders’ one, and once I had posted I wanted to navigate to another section of the forum. I used the scrolling bar at the right-hand side of the screen, but it would only take me up in single scree-sized jumps, then it would refresh, then it would let me make another jump. So it too an age to get to the top of the screen. A couple of times, I thought I was there so clicked on the three horizontal lines next to my avatar top right, but I wasn’t really there so I just got more egg timers. Surely there is a button I can use to jump from the bottom of a long thread right to the section index?

I absolutely LOATHE the lack of pages within threads, this endless bucket approach is not conducive to navigation, and it is never clear to me when previous posts have been made (there is the odd date in the left-hand navigation panel, but it is rarely associated with a particular post and seems very arbitrary and vague). The lack of pagination is seriously challenging my patience for the site (it has massively reduced my post count already), but while I assume that we are now stuck with that, surely there is a wayu to go straight from bottom of thread to topic menu? Please?

Also, when I type posts on BP, the text doesn’t keep up with my (not particularly fast) typing, so I have to keep waiting for the text on the screen to catch up. That can’t be normal, but I only get it on BP.

(And I don’t think that any of my issues are due to my setup or connection - I am currently running eSignal, and inhabit various other fora (with pages, yay!) which don’t give me these issues.

Absolutely. If you’re on a desktop, look to the left of the screen. You’ll see the green timeline slider. You can manually drag that to whatever post number you want, or you can simply click the date at the very top to go to the very first post. For this topic, the date is Jun 2017

If you find yourself needing the opposite, wanting to go the last post, while being at the first post, look in the summary section of the first post for Last Reply, and click on the date below that heading.

I can also recommend the following post:

There’s some great info there on navigation that I think will help you immensely.

Finally, we also have a cool robot (named BPbot) that will run you through multiple user tutorials, with live interaction with the site, helping you to get to know the ins and outs of the forums. To get the robot to start the tutorial, have a read here:

To get to the category listing, look for the Home icon in the top left corner of the page

That is not normal. I’ll get our team to do some testing on our end. I’ll reach out shortly for details.

Hope that helps!

Pipstradamus

That could be a browser-linked issue? I have sometimes found the same with Microsoft Edge (as well as the ridiculous spellcheck that it seems impossible to remove from Windows 10!) but it has not ever been an issue with Chrome or Firefox.

Just a thought…

Thank you very much, I will take a look. I’m struggling with following dates of posts in the side bar scroller, too, so hopefully that thread will help me unpick it. Thanks very much for the response.

Thanks, but I don’t think it can ne - I am on various other sites, including other for a, across a range of subjects (although mostly Forex, old cars, boxing and gaming - three’s an insight!) and I literally only get the issue on BP, but always use Win 10. Took me 40 seconds to type this as had to wait for the text to buffer up and type out slowly. Then go back and correct mistakes I had spotted but couldn’t correct as I can’t click into the text until it has finished typing out. Does mean I try to avoid long posts, sadly.

Thank you - I have stress tested it at this end, including on several other discussion groups, and it is just BP. Text types out at around one third speed, so I have to wait for it to catch up.

There was a period when I was getting the same. It seemed to be connected to an almost constant “autosave” - always having to wait for it to go through the whole text before being able to continue. For example, if I deleted a sentence I would do the backspacing…and then watch while the characters slowly disappeared at a rate of 1 per 1/3 seconds!

I also did not experience this anywhere else - but I didn’t find it on BP either through other browsers!

Sorry this is not very helpful but at least it does identify some kind of problem - it is truly irritating when it occurs!

Hopefully @Pipstradamus will be able to discover something here…