Finally Quit this Stupid Game

Finally cashed out what I had left in the account and closed my Forex.com account. Traded for a little over 2.5 years. Started the account with $3000 and closed with $1548. So glad to be free of this bull s**t rigged game. Hope you all follow suit.

1 Like

Congratulations. You got out cheap. Best of luck :+1:

2 Likes

yes if it tormented your mind, wise move

I find it amusing that because you lost $1500 over 2.5 years you believe trading is rigged and bull s**t?

Is it possible you had unrealistic expectations heading into it and that forced your bias that you would be a millionaire in that time?

It took me twice as long - yes nearly 5 years to be consistently profitable and looking back now that is a very small time for the opportunities trading has created for my family.

When you say ā€˜Hope you all follow suitā€™, it sounds like a part of you doesnā€™t want to quit but you feel like gathering a number of people with the same belief as you would confirm your bias and make you feel like you made the right decision.

And for you, maybe you didā€¦ :man_shrugging:

7 Likes

fair play to him if he sincerely means what he says,time as precious if not more precious than creating wealth

2 Likes

Great response- completely agree. Also, only needed to see the word ā€œgameā€ used to quickly/easily gauge where OP was in their journey.

Good luck.

I hope people follow suit in order to stick it to the banks, and brokers who feed off the lowly retail folk. Also, itā€™s not because I lost money that I think itā€™s rigged, I think itā€™s rigged because of stories of big banks paying small fines, relative to their annual incomes, for actually rigging the market. If you read how they did it, there is still nothing in place to stop them. All they have to do is find another means of secretly communicating information to one anotherā€¦ again, I think itā€™s rigged, because itā€™s rigged.

Great move if you feel that now it is time to quite, when you have lost everting.

I, for one, wonā€™t. Why? Because I love the market challenge, even though I curse at the randomness. No one can predict a trading outcome - the best I can manage is to assess the probability of a winning trade - sometimes itā€™s easy and other times it isnā€™t. Even then, thereā€™s no guarantee it would produce a favourable result.

IMO, supply and demand in this Covid 19 environment provide the best probability of success. An App, Myfxbook has a mulitude of helpful probabilities. One to watch closely is ā€˜Outlookā€™ which shows the number of positions taken for long or short. Today, itā€™s shorting EUR/USD with 106682 shorting positions to 40149 long positions.

All you need to do is find an entry point, and that should be a probable winner.

2 Likes

It is good that you have decided to get out with a 50% drawdown as a maximum limit for losses. Before you go away, would you mind helping the rest of us understand what went wrong? Some questions:
When you started the account with $3,000, did you have a target plan for what size your account would be after 1 year and after 2 years?
If you had set a maximum drawdown of 50% before declaring the exercise to be a failure, what was your planned reward/risk ratio? For example, if you had planned that your account would be $6,000 after two years, your reward would have been +$3,000, divided by your risk of $1,500, so a 2:1 reward to risk plan.
Did you try to analyze your trades, and for those which lost, why they lost (administrative mistake, market went in wrong direction, stop loss was too tight, etc?)
Did you discuss your trading with anyone close to you or on a forum and solicit feedback for improvement from anyone else?

The reason I ask these questions is because I have been self-employed for nearly 30 years, and of all the ventures I have allocated my time to, about 90% of them have failed. However, overall, we are not in the poor house, and I have very much valued the independence that being self employed has afforded me over 30 years. Itā€™s important that you feel you have taken something away from any endeavour you decide to participate in. If you can answer these questions, I hope it will help you in your next endeavour(s) and create more happiness for you than trading has. Thanks for your time. It is highly appreciated.

3 Likes

We would want to know your complete storyā€¦ What exactly went wrong which made you take this action?

Sounds like you are not a reckless trader at all, otherwise 50% of your account would have gone in a few weeks instead of a few years. Rather, you sound like someone who has really tried hard to find a consistent strategy, tried to manage your risk and account balanceā€¦and yet seen your account bleed away slowly over the years.

And alongside that draining balance you have felt an increasing frustration, even anger, which has probably also manifested in some revenge trades and hanging on to losing trades and maybe prematurely taking profits just to win something. And possibly seeking new strategies at an ever-increasing rate, only to see each of them fail, one other the other.

But I suspect the real reasons behind your failure are the same as for many others who comprise the 70-90% of traders who lose. And it is not a reflection on your ability or intelligence or character. Rather it is probably due to trying to make logically sensible trades out of short-term intraday, almost random movements, that are the reflection of the millions of transactions constantly taking place in the forex market for all kinds of reasons.

Trying to make sense out of these micro-moves is like taking a magnifying glass to the beach and looking at the tips of the wave edges and trying to decide if the tide is coming in or going out.

The forex market is not rigged in the sense that you are suggesting. At times, there are exposures of foul play but they rarely are of the nature that affect small retail traders. Indeed, one could accuse the Central Banks themselves of rigging the ā€œfreeā€ market every time they intervene or amend their policies, or even the fact they they even have polices at all!

Here is where the rubber hits the road. So many times we read of failed traders who need someone to blame for their losses and one day it is the banks and the next day it is the brokers. But how rarely their fingers turn to point at the traders themselves, who do not want to take ownership of the fact that they are entirely and solely responsible for their fate, unless, of course, it is the result of an outright scam stealing their money.
A) the banks would not benefit from retail tradersā€™ few bucks even if they did run the market up and down because the majority of retail trader positions stop with the broker and never even reach the bankā€™s own interbank market, so your losses are the brokersā€™ gains, not the bankā€™s. In any case, the banks are really not the slightest bit interested in the few bucks lost by each retail trader in that 70-90% category. Think about it, if they are big enough to move the market then they are big enough to be handling the multi-million/billion deals of all the large corporates, funds, trading houses, high-wealth individuals. they hardly have the time or the interest to systematically tease a few hundred dollars out or a retail trader and even run the risk of legal repercussions if they did!

B) The brokers is a simpler explanation. If we exclude the scams and rogue brokers, the brokers are also not interested in running prices/spreads against their own clients for the simple reason that the vast majority of their clients manage to lose all their money themselves without any help from their broker!

It is a simple fact that trading longer term off, say, day charts is vastly easier and more successful than short term, but new traders just find that all too boring and are so impatient that they think they can make fast money trading all day every day. And, for most of them, it fails because they are trading brief, jerky moves in a random sea of short-term activity under that microscope - trying to trade sense out of nonsense.

In my opinion you should not give up yet because you are a sensible person with a sensible approach to risk and account management. It is just your approach that is structurally wrong. Why not give a go at a demo account and trading daily charts and see if there is any change before hanging up your gloves?

Just my thoughts on the little I know of you.

6 Likes

thanks to you. we always come back so take a break and dust yourself up

wish i knew people who think like you in real life, i could use the logical, grounded yet insightful perspective.

Hi,
Thanks for the vote of confidence. You will get to know some of them. It is all about the choices we make. I do not function well if I am surrounded by folks with negative thoughts. So I choose to prioritize the time I spend with positive thinkers, but at the same time try to help those who feel negative if events have turned against them. I have some new mentees suggested by my wife - three young ladies from humble backgrounds but with that enthusiasm that only comes with youth. I have asked them to browse ā€œThe Secretā€ and watch the short 20 minute introductory video on YouTube. It is something I was made aware of about ten years ago. I immediately bought 3 of the hard copy books and sent two of them to two close friends who were having a hard time of life. It positively impacted both of them. Take a look at ā€œThe Secretā€. It has been said that you become very much like the five people that you spend most of your time with in life. Sometimes you have to reach out and choose who you associate with most often. My advice is to seek out those people who do outrageous things and donā€™t get all serious about the world they cannot make better. :grinning:

1 Like