Finding Consistency

Excellent!!

Had a thought about consistency, I used to think it was getting it right every day, day in day out, that was the only way I thought I could prove to myself I was consistent, it certainly isnā€™t well not for me anyway, itā€™s about being consistent in what you do, in the trades you trade however regular or infrequent they may appear.

I think what you mention is the starting point. It is truly depend upon what is your own definition of " consistency". Keeping your profits weekly or monthly and having a steady growth is what we are aiming for and for most of us, it is a very difficult task to do but if we are doing this for a while and we know what we are doing, it shouldnā€™t be a problem ( hopefully) :slight_smile:

Yes, once you ā€˜knowā€™ that you have a winning strategy rather than hoping it is, then it becomes less of a problem.

I know like many I have been through the feeling of thinking you are there, but itā€™s different this time, Iā€™m not excited about it, well I am I suppose, but in a calm way, if you get my meaning, in a Que Sera, Sera way :slight_smile:

I am glad to hear that it seems you finally found what strategy works for youā€¦ I know! you are not supposed to be ā€œoverly excitedā€ about itā€¦ I too I am trying to keep it calm but nervous at the same time.

So, what strategy do you use to trade? Fundamental/technical/ mechanical or all of them? How long have you been trading? Do you trade full time or part-time?

More than 4 years, I wonā€™t admit to more :slight_smile:

Tried everything under the sun, and the rain.

Iā€™m focusing on one simple setup across a number of pairs

http://forums.babypips.com/newbie-island/45414-understanding-price-action-chris-capre-320.html#post632667

I have done extensive analysis/research on it, looking at so many charts, I just realised one day after using this approach, which was picking a pattern and then looking for it over and over again, I went through many potential setups I thought might work. It was quite a change from the way I was looking at it before which was trying to work out what was going to happen next from certain points.

In a nutshell itā€™s looking for a sharp move then a short retracement to a previous resistance level after the move, and confluence with other resistance levels. Iā€™ve dabbled with it for 6 months or so now and started actually trading it recently. My little theory behind it is that most traders wonā€™t jump on it, they think the move has gone, but more often than not itā€™s the first part of a move that leaves traders behind, it goes against the grain of not chasing the market. But I find that they are great trades, the momentum is already there then you join in hopefully at around 30% maybe of the move, and that momentum gives you quite a number of pips in a relatively short amount of time. You can see if you look at the EURJPY now how effective the trade that I posted the other day has been. Not all will work out of course, but most of them will at least hit the previous level again where you make a small profit, but quite a few will keep on flying.

Time will tell as always and as time goes by I will be able to identify the better ones hopefully, but itā€™s simple, easy to follow and my little brain can cope with it :smiley:

I know what you meanā€¦ You cannot take so much information all at the same time. You have to take everything one step at a time and sometimes after doing it for so long, for some reason, it turns out it doesnā€™t work for youā€¦

Goodluck and I hope you finally found your strategy that suits you and you are comfortable with using itā€¦

Hi everyone,

I havenā€™t open any trade this month. I am eyeing on EU. I have read everywhere that it seems like so many are predicting or planning to short this pair or maybe they have been. I am still bearish with this but I will wait what the outcome this Thursday ECB rate policy changes and the NFP. I am waiting for a retrace for Kiwi but it might go further down before that happenā€¦ Currently, I am in wait and see modeā€¦

From Aprilā€™s -8% lost and 5% gain last month, I am shooting for 10% this month and 100% back in equity. A big task to do but I gotta do it! We shall seeā€¦

Good-luck everyone and Keep your momentum up highā€¦ :slight_smile:

[B]Greetings to our heroine, the wise and wonderful PipNRoll, Chief Inspirational Woman of the Year here at BabyPips![/B]

How sad are her news!

I was just going to send her some encouragementā€¦

My account profits have risen in the last three months:

March: 5.28% ;
April: 7.85% ;
May: 8.70% .

I take courage from that and I hope that she will too!

Happy trading to her, and that the good fortune may be on her side!

Francesco Sani System | Myfxbook

Lol! If it does the job then why not :wink:

Iā€™ve taken a break from fx over the last few months, got work & family issues to work through but may get back to it soon. Keep up the good work, itā€™s great to see that a few of youā€™s on here are making headway :slight_smile:

Hello PipNRoll!

Have you taken any trades yet?

:44:

Hi PipMeHappy,

Sorry for the delay of my replyā€¦ Been busy and very stressful week at workā€¦ To much demand more than what I can do. We have had other colleague quit their position and now we have to find new once. The good thing about it is that the 2 new Account Executive that I was training with are able to help me out and I am very thankful about thatā€¦ It seems there is not enough time in a day. Anyway, we will get through itā€¦

Now my mistakes was trying to " fit in " to trade during this tight schedule and think I can do it all but in reality I canā€™t do it all. So I ended up losing more than I should so with that it will be a losing month for meā€¦ These are some, if not most , of the barriers that we have to deal with especially to those who are working full time. Sometimes you have to make a choice which one you should give up for a short period of time.

Though, you cannot just give up your regular job just yet to trade full time because there is no guarantee that you will make money consistently. You need that ā€œsecurityā€. Until you figured out and know what you are doing, until you can live " comfortably" with the money that was earned from trading, and having at least 8 months living expenses put aside then maybe you can quit your job but still need some part time on the side ( maybe)ā€¦so I donā€™t know, I donā€™t know how other people juggle with everything ( work and trading) and especially to those who have family and kids to do all thatā€¦ Amazingā€¦ Well, itā€™s just my thoughts right nowā€¦

I might need to take a break for now and got back in again when my work starts to go back to " normal". Myfxbook will still there until the end of the year of 2014. I try to keep my word :slight_smile: So far, I am still surviving and I know I will keep those profits in and maybe add a few more in the coming months once everything settles downā€¦

Being a part time trader, I think, is much difficult than to those who trade full time because they do not have to juggle with time and work and trying to " fit in " and make everything workā€¦ What are your thoughts?

Hello PipNRoll,

I feel your pain!

What people do not realise, sometimes, is that by the time you are hooked to trading in your

after-work hours you may start making life choices that may not sit well with you and those

around you (e.g. family): imagine leaving your family/partner at seven in the morning for work

and then, being back at six in the afternoon, you had dinner quickly and then plonked yourself

in front of the computer for the next three hours to do tradingā€¦ Would everybody accept it?

Some partners/families may oppose it and/or make emotional pleas to your heart because

they want more time with youā€¦

Also, what we may not realise at the start of the journey is this: with the best intentions, how can

we possibly trade effectively and in a focussed manner when things in our full-time work get very

busy, or stressful, or difficult? We may come home and have absolutely no energy or focus to get

trading, whether it is actually setting up trades, or doing your journal/analysis, or managing your

account (or being on BabyPips/MeetPips)!

There is no easy answer: we alone must deal with our trading goals and our trading-life balance!

I wish you well, and I hope that things will get easier for you!

Happy Trading

This is quite ironic!

Iā€™ve had less time to trade over the last couple of months than for a while, but I am more profitable than ever, in just under 2 months I have placed 3 trades, 1 is still active and have taken profit, Iā€™m up 50% at the moment, I have never sustained a profit of 50% over 2 months ever before, ok maybe my account is small and I wouldnā€™t risk quite as much when I invest some more when Iā€™m totally happy with my trading plan, but then again my risk has been less than 5% on each trade.

I just look at about 7 or 8 pairs when I feel like it, it could be if I get up in the middle of the night, first thing in the morning, well anytime really, very causal about it, then only place a trade when I see a clear setup that matches what Iā€™m looking for. I miss a few of course, but this seems to be working well so far

My last trade was lateish on Friday, not a time to place a trade on you might think, but from my research the setup that Iā€™m looking for time is irrelevant, itā€™s the clear setup Iā€™m looking for.

I will be making more time for trading, well not actual trading but researching my strategy, but then again do I need to? If it aint broke donā€™t fix it, and I have done lots of work on it already.

Minimum effort maximum effect, I like it.

its come with experience, there is no other way, so keep on learning, if are getting positive trades every now and then , then keep on trading you are on the right path.

Now I have two consecutive losing trades, knocking my account back to +30% of original starting point, one setup was fine the market went the other way, the last trade though was just poorly executed, as simple as my setup is and as experienced as I am, I still make mistakes.

However I know have an ā€˜excuseā€™ to change my system completely :smiley:

No, but I have identified an ā€˜issueā€™ that I had in mind all along, when looking at these setups on the EURUSD I appreciated they were few and far between however I expected there to be setups on other pairs to make up for this, there arenā€™t, they are like buses, you get none for a month and then 3 come at once!

So more work on that, but now I have more time and a much calmer trading attitude, I might just try my hand and day trading again, it does have itā€™s advantages when you get it right.

Hi All,

It has been a long time since I updated this thread.

My company is been going through some ā€œreorganizationā€ for this month. Although, this is not the first and the last I have experience this. We have lost quite a few great employees who have been working for 25-30 years in the company. It is very rare to have those long years of service working in a company. The longest years we have had was 48 years working in there. Some are expected due to retirement and some came as a surpriseā€¦ but from all the experiences, expertise that they have I am sure they will find other alternatives.

One thing for sure of what I have learn from them is thatā€¦in our career life, there is no guarantee even if youā€™ve been there for more than 20 years. It doesnā€™t matter. If the company decided that your position is no longer neededā€¦ its time to go. The only thing you can do is to become a valuable and a ā€œirreplaceableā€ personā€¦that is if you still believed and like what you do and you still see your purpose and your value to serve in that company and not just looking for a ā€œpaycheckā€.

The funny thing is, I thought my position will be gone as well. If it did, I will probably a Full-Time trader today. I was soo ready for it and I thought this is it, this is the ā€œsignā€ that I am waiting forā€¦ well, that didnā€™t worked LOLā€¦oh well, too bad for me I guess :slight_smile:

Anyway, just to give you an update, I am still up at 60% for the year. Not too bad for just less than 3 years been trading part-time and working a full-time job. I will probably stop trading for now and start again next year. I will save up more capital and get back at it again. A $5,000 trading account capital is still relatively small to established a businessā€¦ Iā€™ll keep 60% ROI for now and start again next yearā€¦

Consistency takes years to master. As a trader, we should always look at in a long term perspective not in days, weeks or months. Trading is a form of gamblingā€¦that is true because we ā€œspeculateā€ if we should buy or sellā€¦but that doesnā€™t mean we should treat it or act like one (a gambler)

Good-luck everyone!

Good to hear you are doing good.

Do you plan to have a break from trading or just from live account while keep practicing with demo?

Hello Trasimaco,

Good to hear from you.

I am taking a break from trading for now and focus on other areas in my career and in life (in general). Although, I will still practicing and try new strategy ,on my free time, in my other account with a $500 in there in which I can treat it as a ā€œdemoā€. I donā€™t do paper trading as demo. I am not really a fan of it. I want the real thing no matter how much it is.

I hope you are doing well as well and keep on progressingā€¦itā€™s a long and (sometimes) a tedious process but itā€™s all worth it at the endā€¦

Thanks.

Keep it up, still watching from sunny Croiatia!